Angling Badges & Angling Times Clubman

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone collects angling badges or has any sentimental connection to them.

I remember when Angling Times issued Clubman badges (see example below) but wonder when they stopped doing them?. Back in the day (late 70s to mid 80s i remember), you could win one of these badges if you won a club match and if your weight was reported amongst the top 5 or whatever reported that week.

I would carefully scan the lists - which had many results on them - every week. This was not because i was winning that many club matches but because you could find local waters in form or worth trying. This was before the days when club matches became extreme carp bagging - apart from Witley Park or a bream bag at Coombe Abbey or the like it was rare to get weights much over 70Ib, and in winter it was river stretches that would dominate with winning chub and roach bags. Looking back, this was the main reason i bought Angling Times in those days.

I once had about four clubman badges which my mum sewed onto a sleeveless fishing waistcoat. I was well proud of them - until mice and decay set in when the garment was left in a shed one winter.

chub_on_the_block-albums-fish-tank-picture4216-angling-times-clubman-badge.jpg

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There are collectors out there.

I have some of those club man badges, along with a few club badges, and a Drennan Cup badge.

All stuck away in a box.