Sidewinders -where to get them.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I have been looking for a sidewinder bite indicator for ages but non of the tackle shops I have spoken to either stock them or know who makes them and where they can be bought.

I think they were developed by one of the guys involved in Irish Angling -or was that the Polaris? Any help or a phone contact would be appreciated. Thanks Guys, Girls and Monk!

The bad one

Reaction score
There again you could make you own. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow of the ones I made for perching.

The bad one

Reaction score
Here's the sidewinder I use for perching
sidewinder_2.jpeg

The bad one

Reaction score
Construction details

Purchase the following items <ul>[*]a push in 1 oz quiver tip from tackle shop.[*]smallestTerry Clip, I think they are the 1/2 inch ones[*]a straight connector for aquarium tubing (Aquaflow connectors are the best).[*]some shrink tube 10 mm[*]stainless steel wire rod 1 mm. The lure lads who make their own use this wire for jigs so any good predator shop would have it in stock. [*]whipping thread.[*]pack of smallish beads if you don't have any in your box.[/list]

Strip the rings off the quiver and sand down the blank. If the wide end doesn't push into the aquarium connector tightly, sand it down until it's a tight fit.

Take the connector and cut the tube part off one end, leaving the wider shoulder part connected to the other tube. Fix the Terry Clip to the shoulder with a cut down (10 mm)3 mm bolt. The thread on the bolt will cut and selftap a thread into the plastic once you get it started.

Take the shrink tube, push a piece onto theTerry Clip either side and heat up to shrink fit.

Take the wire rod and bend around a 6 mm metal bar (end of a 6 mm drill bit will do) bend the a leg on it so it faces backwards from the eye. It's important that where you cut the metal off on the ring that you file this so it's round with no burs. Burs will damage you line as you clip the line on.

Put the bead on first then whip the ring on glue the bead up tight to the ring. I smear the whipping with glue as well, to make it extra secure.

Paint the quiver tip in the colours you want and you have a very functional sidewinder at half or less the price you'd pay for a shop bought one.

To give it added security when its on the rod, I place a small elastic band around the top of the Terry Clip.

TheMonk will testify to how effective my sidewinders are for perch bite detection as we both bagged up when I presented him with a pair some years ago when we did a bit of perching on the reservoirs in the Pennines

The bad one

Reaction score
They give minimal resistance to a taking fish. I'd tried all the usual bite indicators before I came up with these. They also tension the line just a little bit as well as being more or less wind risistant. They also work well when feeder fishing for roach on stillwaters. I have several pairs of different strengths up to about 2.5 oz.

Before I took the Monkperching with me, I'd been bagginup for 6 weeks and developing and refiningmy concept of the sidewinder.

Spiders what I would say is this, if I could fish only one method all the time for pearch it would be float fishing every time. But alas you can't always do that as tomorrow will prove.............Wind, wind and more wind with rain /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gifExpose on some openPennine res just isn't conducive with fishing the float!

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>The bad one wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Spiders what I would say is this, if I could fish only one method all the time for pearch it would be float fishing every time. But alas you can't always do that as tomorrow will prove.............Wind, wind and more wind with rain /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gifExpose on some openPennine res just isn't conducive with fishing the float!</blockquote>

Thanks Phill, For the weather forcast, On the canal tomorrow Perching with The Elwin, Iv'e always used bobbins , v/light monkey climbers, quivers and swingtips , will look into making some sidewinders, must admit heard a lot of good things about them.

what they like for distance casting?, do you have to unhook them?.

stikflote

Reaction score
you dont have to unhook the sidewinder when casting,mine cost a tenner from Nathans

The bad one

Reaction score
Will cast 40 yards with ease, but if it's a big chuck 50-80 yds, I always unclip mine as the relatively small ring causes to much drag on the line because of the position I fish them in, which is between the buttand second ring.

The bad one

Reaction score
It's kinda spooky this thread, as I'm going fishing the same water today, I fished 15 years ago when I started with the concept of sidewinders.

pin addict

Reaction score
great post bad one,and if you have materials to hand its worth doin,

but for anyone to go and buy everything needed it will be a case of false economy,

i have used sidewinders for years,and just upgraded to the mark111 version which is a superb bit of kit to have in your box,and at only a £10 for 3 different strengths,light medium and haeavy its hardly worth the hassle,

although you do get a kick out of catching fish on something you have made yourself/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have two of the original sidewinders made by Terry Smith ex tackleshop owner now retired from Sheffield who, with others, used to do the reviews for Anglers World Holidays in Ireland and he developed the sidewinder for fishing the windy Irish Loughs which was later copied and sold by Anglers World but the copy wasn't so good as the one Terry made and sold himself which is fully adjustable to suit conditions. I spoke to Terry not more than a couple of months ago and he told me he had sold the rights to the sidewinder and they (whoever 'they' are) altered it slightly and sell it for about a tenner, three pounds more that Terry's was.

Although butt indicators have been around since jesus walked round GalileeTerry improved it dramatically, he lengthened it as well (mine is 17 inches long) so that not only is itultra sensitive to pulls it can be set to show drop back bites as well. It is totally impervious to wind and tow and for my money there is no better bite indicator on the market. Casting with it is not a problem at all and I can't ever recall getting a wrap round with it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
sidewinder_003.JPG

This is the other end which enables the sidewinder to be attached or detached to a made up rod. I keep a few turns of insulation tape on the rods to stop it slipping on the shiny surface and I attach the clip between the 1st and 2nd rod rings but it can be put anywhere. Using this also means you can fish with your rod pointing directly at the lead or feeder thuskeeping bite resistance to a minimum which is why it is ideal for sometimes shy perch bites.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your excellent and comprehensive replies including the photos and how to make instructions. Truly Fishing Magic!

A friend of mine swears by his, bought several years ago. One factor none of you appear to mention which is the most obvious benefit for me is that it can be used with the rod straight out in front for those tight swims where it is impossible due to reeds etc to turn a quiver 90 degrees to the water to detect bites.

I now feel I have enough info to obtain or even make one. Cheers