13ft Sliverfish Rod

jimbob27

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 13ft match rod for some waggler and stick float work on the Warwickshire Avon for roach, dace and possibly a bonus chub or two. I've found my 11ft Maver Powerlite to short for mending the line, and I think it's more suited to short range waggler work.

I've picked out 2 Shakespeare rods, the 13ft Mach 3xt and the 13ft Superteam which both look the business. But I've also found the 13ft Drennan Series 7 Silverfish rod, which also looks suitable for my needs. I've got a budget of £100, so any other advice or rod options would be great.

Thanks, Jimbob:)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There are many on the market, take a look at the Korum range they might have something, and for the price their rods are very good.

You won't go far wrong with the Drennen, take a look at ebay always worth a try.

tonybull

Reaction score
14ft Shakespeare Mach 3 XT superb rods for trotting and waggler work on still waters and slider fishing, well that's what I use mine for.

£59.95 with rod sleeve, tube etc on ebay free delivery

jimbob27

Reaction score
I Like the look of the 13ft 6 Mach 3xt, but I am wondering about whether the 'power' in the rods name suggests that it's more suited for commercial carp than river roach and dace. Is there any difference between the 13ft 6 power and the 13/14ft standard Mach rods in terms of the stiffness of the rods action?

ken more

Reaction score
I Like the look of the 13ft 6 Mach 3xt, but I am wondering about whether the 'power' in the rods name suggests that it's more suited for commercial carp than river roach and dace. Is there any difference between the 13ft 6 power and the 13/14ft standard Mach rods in terms of the stiffness of the rods action?

You could be right Jimbob, an 8lb max line rating perhaps a touch high for what your after.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It might be worth your while looking on ebay for a second hand drennan matchpro ultralight, I think they'd be more suited to your requirements. Might be worth a look for a shop selling them off cheaper than rrp.

robtherake

Reaction score
Don't forget that a ton will buy you one helluva second-hand bargain on Ebay/Gumtree/local ads. You might even pick up a Drennan Acolyte with £100 to spend. Plenty of advice on here if you come across anything likely.

Here are a few ideas to be going on with; all cracking rods:

Preston Innovations Carbonactive Sentinel 13ft Float Rod | eBay
*should say Sentient.

drennan matchpro ultralight 13ft Float Rod | eBay

MAP Dave Harrell Matchtek Parabolix waggler 13ft limited edition match rod | eBay

Drennan IM8 Super Waggler 13ft match float rod | eBay

tonybull

Reaction score
A power match rod is basically a stepped up version.

trotter2

Reaction score
Providing those chub are not massive the Drennan ultralight would be my choice if you can find one for less than £100.

For that price, dace and roach fishing there is no better rod IMO :)

Something slightly older but very good would be a Drennan DRX 13ft go for between 50 to 60 notes

Last edited:

silvers

Reaction score
Which Avon venues will you be fishing?

I tend to use the 13ft Mach 3 "lite" on the Avon, or the older excelsior ..... They're both softer than the Mach 3. However, if i'm on a chub flier I'd use a standard mach3 13ft (or equivalent) But chub fliers are rare theses days.

jimbob27

Reaction score
Birmingham anglers association stretches in and around the Evesham area. Pershore left and right bank ,Pensham, Fladbury and Eckington mainly.

markv

Reaction score
Jimbob, at the moment there is a Shakespeare Valor 13' on ebay, brand new buy it now, £45, absolutely bang on for W Avon roach, dace, chub. I have two. You'd be delighted with it for a 13' rod on the venues you mention.

A Shakespeare Odessa Gold 13' is the same blank, just as good if you see one.

I also use a Shakespeare Mach3 xt lite 13' on the Avon, but it is as it says on the light side, wouldnt intentionally use it for chub just small fish.

flightliner

Reaction score
Check out e-bay and look to see if there are any Shimano Aero Match rods on offer , A cracking rod back in the early nineties, it should suit your needs admirably.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Just my humble opinion but I really rate the Drennan Matchpro for this. Fantastic piece of kit and might well crop up on ebay for under a ton. Best regards and luck. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Just my humble opinion but I really rate the Drennan Matchpro for this. Fantastic piece of kit and might well crop up on ebay for under a ton. Best regards and luck. :)

Second that. I have a Matchpro Ultralite and that is a brilliant roach rod and plenty man enough for the odd rogue tench etc. That said the Shaky Mach 3 range is pretty good too.

Excellent typo btw. Nothing better than a net of slivers !

The Sogster

Reaction score
Not sure if there are any left but fishing republic were offering the 12 foot ultralight for less than £80.

daniel121

Reaction score
This is one area where rods are getting worse not better.

The best rods for this type of fishing. Have been discontinued in my honest opinion. However as others have said Drennan still do some good ones.

jimbob27

Reaction score
Shame that the 12 ft ultralight on Fishing Republic is out of stock, that would have been a good deal. Slightly reserved about buying 2nd hand on eBay, as you can never quite be sure what you're really getting. Spotted a Matrix Reflex 13 ft Match on fosters for £99.99, any good?

robtherake

Reaction score
Shame that the 12 ft ultralight on Fishing Republic is out of stock, that would have been a good deal. Slightly reserved about buying 2nd hand on eBay, as you can never quite be sure what you're really getting. Spotted a Matrix Reflex 13 ft Match on fosters for £99.99, any good?

Never bought a pup yet and I've bought tons of stuff from Ebay. Check the seller's reputation first (to the right of their Ebay name/number) to make sure they're reliable and Bob's yer uncle. :)