supertision, fishing and you

daniel121

Reaction score
Carrying on from my float thread

I once remember sitting in the canteen at work reading my new book 'Billy Lanes encyclopedia of float fishing' I remember clearly the sentences at the beginning of the book

"If you have a pet float the best thing you can do to be a better angler is - BIN it"

I remember thinking 'screw that!!' Now , he carried on about the merits of each float type, shape and weight. Of course it would be a very dated read by present fishing methods however, its clear from my favorite float topic many of us still have a favourite or superstition regarding bait or that lucky float however ultimately he's right its only a bit of quill,balsa or whatever it's a tool that it limited to what it is.

I'll confess I have a lucky coat (yes i know its BS but) i noticed from looking at photos how many of the good ones i have this coat on, so lucky coat it got named. I also have a belief in certain groundbait mixes as we all do.

So come on lads spit it out, what's your superstition?

The Sogster

Reaction score
As I've mentioned before. I always pour the first sip of tea from my flask into the water as a libation before wetting a line.

I have only been doing this for about 40 years, results are inconclusive.

derwentbob

Reaction score
I always flick a penny into the river before I fish. No idea why but my grandfather always did likewise, although it was a farthing back then.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A few years back, I hooked a big, fit chub on the River Blackwater at Camberley first cast. It was then, to my horror, I realised I hadn't set my landing net up.

It was 35 minutes before a lady dog walker came to my aid and set my net up and I was a quarter past knackered by the time I netted it.

Guess what the first thing I set up now is?? :)

B

binka

My superstition is derived from the acting phrase "Break a leg" although in my case the leg is substituted for a chair :doh:

bracket

Reaction score
Being a Child of Odin I am prone to a raft of superstitions. I always wear a neckachief when fishing. The first items I position are always my rod rests/landing net rest, followed by my landing net. The last thing being the rod I intend to use. When fishing a match I would always be the last to the draw bag and if I inadvertently made a double draw then I considered that to be a hoodoo as the returned peg number was the possible winner. I never began to fish on the whistle, prefering to wait for five minutes. I would also never look at my keepnet catch before the scales arrived. Little stupid meaningless things, but all part of a routine which is ingrained into me. Sad int'it, but vital for me. Pete

Reaction score
Always raise my hat/doff the cap if a Heron is seen. Better angler than I'll ever be.

Worryingly I now give a nod to Nog even if I'm not fishing. I suspect age, insanity... :eek:mg:

(please feel free to add further explanations.......

......but just remember who's a mod :wh )

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Superstitions are for the birds . . . . .

But, just you try to touch my lucky underpants and we will have words . . . .

The same goes for my lucky Fishing Magic cap, thermos flask or the wellies that I would never consider going fishing without . . . . .

jimbob27

Reaction score
Whenever using new kit, I always have a bad session. Just like yesterday, when I blanked using my new Mach 3 on the Avon:)

B

binka

Whenever using new kit, I always have a bad session. Just like yesterday, when I blanked using my new Mach 3 on the Avon:)

It's a strange one that is, I hear many say the same thing including my regular fishing mate but it seems to work the opposite away around for me with new gear usually resulting in a good catch.

Or at least that's my excuse for keeping on buying it ;)

The bad one

Reaction score
Are some rods more lucky than others? I more than not fish two identical rods and set ups but 1 catches more fish than the other. Doesn't matter whether I fish it up stream or down stream the same rod always out fish the other by a margin of about 3 to 1.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't have many superstitions when fishing other than no whistling when I'm on a boat especially on a Friday. LOL.

And not having a wee while my rod is still out (my fishing rod LOL); a guaranteed wet leg is usually the result. LOL

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My superstition is derived from the acting phrase "Break a leg" although in my case the leg is substituted for a chair :doh:

But you fell out the loft and broke your arm ;)

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

A few years back, I hooked a big, fit chub on the River Blackwater at Camberley first cast. It was then, to my horror, I realised I hadn't set my landing net up.

It was 35 minutes before a lady dog walker came to my aid and set my net up and I was a quarter past knackered by the time I netted it.

Guess what the first thing I set up now is?? :)

Your rod ???:eek:

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

It's a strange one that is, I hear many say the same thing including my regular fishing mate but it seems to work the opposite away around for me with new gear usually resulting in a good catch.

Or at least that's my excuse for keeping on buying it ;)

Binka, you keep buying it, because you keep breaking it :D