Method feeder

tom_moran

Reaction score
You can or use damp pellets. Some places the fish will prefer one or the other

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the question?

No you shouldn't use groundbait all the time but it's an option, you can use dampened pellets sometimes adding a hand full of groundbait to pellets helpos them bind. Other times you'll find the fijsh respond better to groundbait approach.

Depth of water is something else to take into account.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the question?

No you shouldn't use groundbait all the time but it's an option, you can use dampened pellets sometimes adding a hand full of groundbait to pellets helpos them bind. Other times you'll find the fijsh respond better to groundbait approach.

Depth of water is something else to take into account.

Sorry I'm not 100% sure what you mean either :confused:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Should I use groundbait at any time if using a method feeder?

I wouldn't, but each to their own.

If i wanted to add extra feed, then i would add some of the method mix, made into golf ball size.

I don't use method mix, I make my own. Dog biscuits soaked and mash them up when soft. Not all the biscuits will mash, but i dont worry about that, as these act as an alternative to the mash biscuit.

I get the biscuits from Aldi, for £7 you get 10 kilo. If you want to add a flavour, then you can do this when the biscuits are soaking.

robtherake

Reaction score
I wouldn't, but each to their own.

If i wanted to add extra feed, then i would add some of the method mix, made into golf ball size.

I don't use method mix, I make my own. Dog biscuits soaked and mash them up when soft. Not all the biscuits will mash, but i dont worry about that, as these act as an alternative to the mash biscuit.

I get the biscuits from Aldi, for £7 you get 10 kilo. If you want to add a flavour, then you can do this when the biscuits are soaking.

Are you saying that you use this mix on the method feeder, Ray? Always looking to cheapen the bait bill. :)

tonya

Reaction score
Sorry, what I meant was, do I use extra groundbait.
I put groundbait (2mm pellets) in the feeder (Drennan flat) but should I lob in extra groundbait into the area or rely on what's in the feeder.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Going back a few years, I wouldn't use anything but groundbait on a method feeder. There are still plenty of groundbaits out there specifically intended as method mixes. As far as I'm concerned, the use of only dampened/soaked pellets in conjunction with a method feeder is a more recent development.

Whether to use only pellets, a groundbait method mix, or a mixture of the two will depend on the venue and conditions.

I definitely would not be balling any extra groundbait or pellets into a method feeder line. The whole aim of method fishing is to keep feed as tight as possible and on the deck. Spraying extra about only defeats that objective.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Sorry, what I meant was, do I use extra groundbait.
I put groundbait (2mm pellets) in the feeder (Drennan flat) but should I lob in extra groundbait into the area or rely on what's in the feeder.

I think I understand where the confusion arises - As far as I understood it - the original method was to present a precise area of attraction on the feeder with the bait v.close to it for the fish to home-in on - undistracted by a nearby spread of groundbait - so the balling-in of groundbait was regarded as a no-no.
Coupling this with a common fishery rule of 'no groundbaiting' means that you should only use groundbait that's actually on the feeder.

At the end of the day - it's whatever that works within the rules of the fishery - that counts!:rolleyes::confused:

rayner

Reaction score
Just keep your casting accurate and try to make sure your feeders are packed as tight as possible. Even more so in deep water, feed coming of the feeder on the way down is counter productive.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Are you saying that you use this mix on the method feeder, Ray? Always looking to cheapen the bait bill. :)

Yes Rob, its a very cheap way, and binds very well also. As i said you can add a flavour, if you want. I also add maggots, chop worm, whatever you want.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Should I use groundbait at any time if using a method feeder?

What method are you using ???

You say method, but then go on about using a feeder ??

A method feeder and feeder are two different things. Yes they both put bait into the swim, but with a method feeder, the mix is moulded around the outside, a feeder the mix is inside the feeder, as i am sure you know.

You don't have to pay extra money just because the packet says method mix, ground bait will do the same thing, as will soaked pellets, dog biscuits, you can even use Liquidized bread. You can add pellets, maggots, hemp, caster, what ever you what to these.

When i fish the method, once i know where i am casting, i will cast the method full and with hook bait, then i will fire around 10 golf ball size of the method mix over the top.

I don't just sit back and wait for hours for something to happen. I will re cast about every 15 minutes. This tops up the swim slowly. Once you start catching you may have to add extra mix, but that will depend if your catching every cast or not. If not, then don't add anything other than via the feeder.

I only up the feed if the fish are bang on the feed, and you will know when that is happening as you will be getting bites every cast.

Good luck

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Is it Vitalin that you're using?

No mate, just a 10 kilo sack of dog biscuits. I get mine from Aldi, there are different colours, sizes and shapes in the sack.
Just soak them and mass them up when soft. At £7 a sack its cheap and works.

I haven't used vitamin for years, but it could be used as a method mix if you wanted.

Chefster

Reaction score
Going back a few years, I wouldn't use anything but groundbait on a method feeder. There are still plenty of groundbaits out there specifically intended as method mixes. As far as I'm concerned, the use of only dampened/soaked pellets in conjunction with a method feeder is a more recent development.

Whether to use only pellets, a groundbait method mix, or a mixture of the two will depend on the venue and conditions.

I definitely would not be balling any extra groundbait or pellets into a method feeder line. The whole aim of method fishing is to keep feed as tight as possible and on the deck. Spraying extra about only defeats that objective.
Your joking,pinging pellets over the method line is a brilliant way of attracting carp into the swim,constant plopping of one or two pellets,helps them home in!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Your joking,pinging pellets over the method line is a brilliant way of attracting carp into the swim,constant plopping of one or two pellets,helps them home in!!

When I posted I had an inkling that the match types might pounce. No, I'm not joking. I've no doubt that constant plop, plop, plop helps in the right circumstances. I've seen it work a treat myself. However, I suspect that I have pretty different venues in mind to you. The last thing I'd want to do is encourage the fish up in the water or create a wider feeding area than is absolutely necessary.

robtherake

Reaction score
No mate, just a 10 kilo sack of dog biscuits. I get mine from Aldi, there are different colours, sizes and shapes in the sack.
Just soak them and mass them up when soft. At £7 a sack its cheap and works.

I haven't used vitamin for years, but it could be used as a method mix if you wanted.

I use ground Vitalin as a binder, Ray, finding it a bit sticky to use as a method mix by itself. It's useful if you want to introduce a lot of particles - you can get a surprising amount in there and it'll still stick like glue to the feeder. I used a lot of it when bigger method feeders were in vogue, rather than the ubiquitous flatties we see now. Nothing wrong with the biggies, of course, but the flat feeders permit the use of a much lighter set-up, which I prefer wherever heavy tactics aren't essential.

I'll give the dog food a go, though; more than likely with a tin or two of tuna and a big handful of small particles. There's a nearly-full bag that's too rich for my old dogs that I'd forgotten about, but which is probably ideal. :)

tonybull

Reaction score
When I posted I had an inkling that the match types might pounce. No, I'm not joking. I've no doubt that constant plop, plop, plop helps in the right circumstances. I've seen it work a treat myself. However, I suspect that I have pretty different venues in mind to you. The last thing I'd want to do is encourage the fish up in the water or create a wider feeding area than is absolutely necessary.

You won't encourage fish up in the water if you feed it correct with a catapult.

rayner

Reaction score
A venue I mostly fish is around 10 foot deep and as soon as you start to feed via a catapult up they come. even the splash of the feeder or bomb brings them up. I've tried feeding single pellets, feeding a full pouch then fishing it out, I've tried fishing cone, pva bags, pellet feeder, open end and method.
The only way to keep catching is to follow them or sit biteless.
Waggler is not a viable method for me so use a slow sinking bomb.

Tonybull please if you can tell me how to feed with a catapult and keep the fish on the bottom I would really appreciate it because my preferred method is straight lead and pellet.