Carp on the pole

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
What size carp is reasonable on a pole
Yesterday I fished a pond that holds carp to 20 lb , I caught a couple of carp that were around the 14lb Mark and on a 1.5lb t&c rod the fight was excellent

Now had I been fishing a margin pole with 20 elastic would it have been harder to land these carp

I ask because I tend to use a pole for silvers

Last edited by a moderator:

ciprinus

Reaction score
carp up to and beyond 20lb can be fun on the pole, you just have to remember to ship it back to your top three damned quick.
i tend to ship it in as soon as the carp is on, that way you get a lot more control over the carp and if you think the lackie is going to go just run up the bank after the fish :D:D

john step

Reaction score
Mi Lord,
What are you going to do with that MARGIN PIKE? Skewer 'em :D:D:D

soft plastic

Reaction score
Margin poles are designed specifically for landing big carp. With suitable elastics there isn't a problem. Probably easier than using a rod and line. The trend at the moment is to feed a margin line then fish it (with a margin pole) for the munters that come in really close for the free offerings.

MRWELL

Reaction score
My PB is 21lb on the pole and i landed it very easy,you have to play the fish out on the pole,try bullying it and you stand a good shout of getting snapped.

asharp85

Reaction score
will a 18lb hollow elastic be enough to play a 30-40lb carp???

B

binka

Shame. Targeting margin pike with a pole rings a bell. Can't remember if I read it or someone did it or was planning to do it.

There was an article in one of the comics many years ago, as poles were really starting to become popular here, where a guy simply walked the banks of a Lincolnshire drain and trolled a deadbait very close to the far bank cover using a pole.

It seemed to work too from what I can remember but it's not my cup of tea.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
There was an article in one of the comics many years ago, as poles were really starting to become popular here, where a guy simply walked the banks of a Lincolnshire drain and trolled a deadbait very close to the far bank cover using a pole. It seemed to work too from what I can remember but it's not my cup of tea.

That was it!