Rod weights.

robtherake

Reaction score
Graham,
the full ish might be for another day when I'm bored out of my mind. However, having done similar before, I doubt it'll make particularly interesting reading. The heaviest reel I own, the Abu 507Mk2 Goldmax, weighs in at just over 14oz. Coupled to the lightest 13' rod, the Acolyte Ultra, the balance point is still forward of the reel seat. http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/1377166-post14.html

I've just chucked the Goldmax on the Normark Titan. The balance point is still just forward of the front end of the handle.

However, after fishing with a long rod that had it's balance point artificially brought back to the reel stem, I reckon that the balance needs to be forward of the reel for decent strike speed and tip control. The vast majority of float rods balance between handle and first ring. Even the notoriously weighty Goldmax fitted doesn't bring the balance back to the reel stem on any of the 13'+ rods I own.

Good point. What do the rod makers have to say about it? Anyone?

sam vimes

Reaction score
A lot to be said for a wrap or two of lead strip I guess?

Only if the point of balance, with the reel of choice, is so far forward as to make the rod feel really tip heavy. Go too far and you end up with an unnecessarily heavy combination that will feel really weird.

Good point. What do the rod makers have to say about it? Anyone?

When pretty much any float rod you encounter is the same, unless modified, I guess that the rod makers have already spoken.;)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Graham,
the full ish might be for another day when I'm bored out of my mind. However, having done similar before, I doubt it'll make particularly interesting reading. The heaviest reel I own, the Abu 507Mk2 Goldmax, weighs in at just over 14oz. Coupled to the lightest 13' rod, the Acolyte Ultra, the balance point is still forward of the reel seat. http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/1377166-post14.html

I've just chucked the Goldmax on the Normark Titan. The balance point is still just forward of the front end of the handle.

However, after fishing with a long rod that had it's balance point artificially brought back to the reel stem, I reckon that the balance needs to be forward of the reel for decent strike speed and tip control. The vast majority of float rods balance between handle and first ring. Even the notoriously weighty Goldmax fitted doesn't bring the balance back to the reel stem on any of the 13'+ rods I own.

I fish mainly with a Carbolino Maxim Power waggler 13 / 14 foot using an 507 mkII and find the balance point is about a foot infront of the reel seat , likewise tried adding stuff to move the point backwards did not feel good so back to standard .

PG ...