'Pellet' waggler rods suitable for silvers

numero09

Reaction score
Of the Browning Force Commercial 11ft Pellet Waggler, Shakespeare Superteam 11ft Pellet Waggler, and possibly the Maver Abyss X 11ft Match Float rods, which one would be the most suitable for use when after silvers, mostly sub 1lb?

From what I've seen, both the Shakespeare Mach 3 Micro and Mach 3 XT 11ft Pellet Waggler rods are a viable option, though harder to find it seems. The 3 mentioned above can all more readily be sourced.

The likes of the Drennan Matchpro Ultralight requires deeper pockets than I currently have at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

robtherake

Reaction score
Despite my recent moan about this rod "creaking" the 11ft Middy Micro Muscle (latest version) has a soft-enough tip for silvers, but has amazing power lower down the blank. They can be had for about £60 if you shop around.

Edit - The 10ft Browning Commercial F1 is the sh!ts.

2nd edit - ...and the Browning Commercial pellet waggler rod is a poker, compared to the Middy.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just got back from using a drennan acolyte carp waggler for rudd and perch etc and it's spot on.

numero09

Reaction score
Not sure why you need a PW rod for 1lb fish?

I don't need a pellet waggler just for 1lb fish, or even a pellet waggler as such, but it's an option for an 11ft/12ft that could cover the fact that it can be pot luck whether you hook into a 4oz roach or a rather 'lively' 8lb common on the farm ponds I fish.

Other suggestions would be more than welcome but the price range of the Matchpro Ultralights and Acolytes etc are out of budget at the moment, and Ebay is a source of frustration, as other possibly suitable options always seem to be at the opposite end of the country, sold by 'collection only' sellers.

I'm all ears for alternative options or suggestions, and thanks for the replies so far.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Maver do some decent ones, I had a look at then the other day. I can't remember the prices of them but I think they where quite a lot cheaper than the drennans etc.....they looked and felt great.

robtherake

Reaction score
I think Maver do some decent ones, I had a look at then the other day. I can't remember the prices of them but I think they where quite a lot cheaper than the drennans etc.....they looked and felt great.

The 12ft Maver Reactorlite's a belter, but it's an out-and-out big fish rod and the tip's too stiff for fun with bits.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it was an 11ft rod that I looked at Rob, it was thicker in the tip than the drennans but I would imagine you could still catch small fish ok with it.

robtherake

Reaction score
Does it have to be a short rod? Top of the range match rods from the 90s/00s go for a lot less than you might think. They're not all rated as heavily as their modern counterparts, but they're surprisingly capable. Not so long ago I banked a 15lb+ mirror using an original Drennan Waggler rod rated to a 3lb mainline (after a bit of a tussle.) It's happy with lines of 6lb and has loads of spare oomph in the butt if you have to give it some. Sellers who advertise "local pick-up only" are often happy for you to arrange a courier: they're just too idle or busy to do it themselves.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm presuming that means it's good, the opposite of having the sh!ts.

Thanks for that. That's very helpful to know.

How times change! When I were a lad, the shits meant exactly that: the worst of the worst. I'll have to gen-up on the more modern expressions, since it seems I'm no longer hip. :D

Last edited:

numero09

Reaction score
Does it have to be a short rod? Top of the range match rods from the 90s/00s go for a lot less than you might think. They're not all rated as heavily as their modern counterparts, but they're surprisingly capable. Not so long ago I banked a 15lb+ mirror using an original Drennan Waggler rod rated to a 3lb mainline (after a bit of a tussle.) It's happy with lines of 6lb and has loads of spare oomph in the butt if you have to give it some. Sellers who advertise "local pick-up only" are often happy for you to arrange a courier: they're just too idle or busy to do it themselves.

12ft would be the absolute maximum, and even then that's pushing it, as there's so much vegetation around and overhead, so 11ft/12ft is the optimum size.

I've tried arranging couriers for pick ups, but it's frustrating and surprising how difficult some folk can be when trying to arrange something like that, and can work out expensive if they're not in when the courier calls to pick it up. It's happened more than once, so I'm wary of having to go down that route again. As you say, some folk are idle and I'd add one or two more less positive traits to that aswell.

Rob, you've been very helpful and constructive. It's much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

How times change! When I were a lad, the shits meant exactly that: the worst of the worst. I'll have to gen-up on the more modern expressions, since it seems I'm no longer hip. :D

:D I wasn't sure whether you meant it was good or bad, so from your post I'm now guessing you mean avoid it. :eek:mg: I think I get it now.
So avoid both Browning rods?

I wouldn't worry about being hip. What's regarded as cool now really isn't, unless you're into 'fake and shallow'.

Now where's my cardigan, pipe and slippers?

trotter2

Reaction score
I had a look at a few PW rods there is quite some difference in models, some are very powerful. I needed a rod which could be used for quite a variety of purposes from catching dace, and chub to chucking a bomb out but needed to be a 12ft, 2 piece.
The one I picked was a Maver Abyss there are perfect for what I needed and cost very little.
I would recommend that mate :thumbs:
Try and have a look at some side by side to compare as I did

robtherake

Reaction score
12ft would be the absolute maximum, and even then that's pushing it, as there's so much vegetation around and overhead, so 11ft/12ft is the optimum size.

I've tried arranging couriers for pick ups, but it's frustrating and surprising how difficult some folk can be when trying to arrange something like that, and can work out expensive if they're not in when the courier calls to pick it up. It's happened more than once, so I'm wary of having to go down that route again. As you say, some folk are idle and I'd add one or two more less positive traits to that aswell.

Rob, you've been very helpful and constructive. It's much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

:D I wasn't sure whether you meant it was good or bad, so from your post I'm now guessing you mean avoid it. :eek:mg: I think I get it now.
So avoid both Browning rods?

I wouldn't worry about being hip. What's regarded as cool now really isn't, unless you're into 'fake and shallow'.

Now where's my cardigan, pipe and slippers?

I bought the Commercial F1 as a direct replacement for another ten footer, but the action is dreadful, which I like to mention as often as possible.:p They couldn't have got it more wrong. The shop I bought it from mistakenly ordered the 11ft Commercial pellet rod, which I had a good old play with, finding it too stiff in the tip for the near-range float work I had in mind for it (I have the same issue with a 12ft Reactorlite, bought unseen, but its talents lie in other areas.) I finally went for the Middy, which has enough give in the upper third to protect relatively light lines and small hooks, but also has enough power in the butt to bully fish when necessary. The transfer of power from tip to butt is smoothly progressive and it's possible to "bounce" those fish that don't know when to give up under the rod tip without conceding line - a very handy talent and one that the best rods do very well, but then, they cost a lot more than 60 notes. :wh:D

---------- Post added at 01:22 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

I've just got back from using a drennan acolyte carp waggler for rudd and perch etc and it's spot on.

I saw your report, Ian; what a great session. If we'd traded places I'd have beat three PBs in the same afternoon...no, I'm not a bit jealous, if you're asking. :D

sagalout

Reaction score
it seems I'm no longer hip. :D
Groovy baby.

---------- Post added at 05:21 ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 ----------

I use the maver powerlites and the 12ft is much softer in the tip than the 11 and 10ft versions so for general float work where the carp and bigger tench keep nosing in it is the 12ft powerlite for me. I do have the drennan matchpro ultra light and it is superb for silvers and the occasional big fish but I find it a struggle to control carp above three pounds.

The shakespeare mach range are always highly recommended by the landed gentry of sheffield, so I might be worth asking his lordship.

seth49

Reaction score
I use the shimano forcemaster float rod, mines the ten footer but they do them in eleven and twelve foot aswell
Good for small silvers upto low doubles carp, nice through action, cracking little rod, for about forty pounds, had mine over a year now, really like it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Did ' the sh!ts ' come before or after, ' the pits ' ...blessed if I can remember so I'm obviously not up with things either....

Also, can I ask ; Is it that a ' pellet waggler ' rod has a heavier tip or other advantages ( say ) for commercials? ) ? Must be something different otherwise we would have a ' hemp waggler ' or a maggot waggler ' rod....................................wouldn't we ? ( No, this is a genuine question and not a poor attempt at sarcasm - perish the thought.. )

I MUST be getting old.....either that, or I need to buy another rod !

Drennan is missing a trick, if not....

HELP !!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Did ' the sh!ts ' come before or after, ' the pits ' ...blessed if I can remember so I'm obviously not up with things either....

Also, can I ask ; Is it that a ' pellet waggler ' rod has a heavier tip or other advantages ( say ) for commercials? ) ? Must be something different otherwise we would have a ' hemp waggler ' or a maggot waggler ' rod....................................wouldn't we ? ( No, this is a genuine question and not a poor attempt at sarcasm - perish the thought.. )

I MUST be getting old.....either that, or I need to buy another rod !

Drennan is missing a trick, if not....

HELP !!

I wonder the same things Tee cee, the 12ft acolyte carp waggler just seems like a 12ft version of the 13 and 14ft plus acolytes but it's supposed to be a 7lb plus mainline rating rather than the 6lb plus mainline rating as on the plus's. It's also supposed to be able to cast 20 grammes easy enough and yet the tip seems just the same as on the others. I'm not saying there arn't subtle differences but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of them (to me at least) appart from the obvious length.
I got mine because I wanted a slightly shorter version of the plus's, not because it has carp waggler written on it....I never really fish for carp lol.