Hair rig problem

tonya

Reaction score
A weird thing happen today.
I was fishing a method feeder with Preston 4" hair rig hooklengths to a PR-C1 hook.
On 2 occasions I landed a carp only to notice that the hair (and plastic bait)were missing.
This meant putting on another hook length wirh hair.

Any ideas? Has it happened to anybody before?

thecrow

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust a hooklength that I hadn't tied myself unless it was someone that I trusted.

You don't say how the hooklength was tied, was it knotless knot or the hair attached separately? I would say that the rigs you are using are faulty, if you learn to tie them yourself if may solve your problem its very simple with lots on how to do it on u tube.

ciprinus

Reaction score
A weird thing happen today.
I was fishing a method feeder with Preston 4" hair rig hooklengths to a PR-C1 hook.
On 2 occasions I landed a carp only to notice that the hair (and plastic bait)were missing.
This meant putting on another hook length wirh hair.

Any ideas? Has it happened to anybody before?

if you were just winding in i would say the culprit was crayfish but having a carp on?? thats a puzzler.
as the crow says, learn to tie your own, half hour to learn a lifetime to enjoy ;)

john step

Reaction score
Try korum quick stops tied on then tie a hair rig
They are easy to use and effective

Sorry mlord but I have found the ready tied quickstops are weak and go missing just like the posters thread.
I dont use plastic on its own though but the quickstop and hair are often missing in the net.

I feel its in the net where the problem lies. I think it get caught in the mesh upon landing.

I found tying my own loose quickstops on with nylon is stronger.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I never buy ready made rigs, just wouldn't trust them.

Make your own, in the long run it works out cheaper also, and much more fun.

robtherake

Reaction score
As others have said, it's really simple to make your own and the knotless knot is one of the easiest to tie once you have the hang of it, which won't take long. Try to make sure that the hair exits at the back of the hook (you can wiggle it into place) and if you're really clever, put a few turns of line underneath the hair, which has the effect of kicking the hair out a bit and reducing tangles.

Tie a few loops first, to get the hang of it, and once you're ok with that, tie some with the Quickstop or band inside the loop. Again, it's easy with just a little practice needed. :)

Just found this handy site which has lots of loop knot variations: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1382476

The double overhand loop knot is by far the easiest, but the figure of eight is neater and hangs straighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDhQdOf29E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Kf-jpbF74

sagalout

Reaction score
I suspect the hair is getting caught up in the net and snapping off, I think a lot of the modern landing nets up to 24 inch have a finer mesh to help prevent it from happening.

retrobob

Reaction score
This is one thing that concerns me about plastic baits, assuming that fish or another fish is going to eat that, how on earth is it going to digest it (i.e. it wont)?

tonya

Reaction score
Perhaps the hair was separate (didn't know this could be done) as there was a curly section in the hook length after. This would mean the hair was detachable.
I do tie my own sometimes and not had trouble there using my current net but perhaps these were suseptable.
Would a fish pass a grain of plastic corn, or spit it out?
Has any one disected a dead commercial carp to see if any plastic is in the gut?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Sorry mlord but I have found the ready tied quickstops are weak and go missing just like the posters thread.
I dont use plastic on its own though but the quickstop and hair are often missing in the net.

I feel its in the net where the problem lies. I think it get caught in the mesh upon landing.

I found tying my own loose quickstops on with nylon is stronger.

the korum quick stops aren't pre tied - you tie the quick stop yourself then tied a knotless knot to your hook

qtaran111

Reaction score
Quickstops are great and definitely better than trying to put a stop through a hair rig with wet/greasy fingers.

I use the drennan ones

Before looking at that page I never knew Pete Drennan was into yellow and brown :eek:

team man

Reaction score
This is one thing that concerns me about plastic baits, assuming that fish or another fish is going to eat that, how on earth is it going to digest it (i.e. it wont)?

This sort of thing worries me too Bob, I will only use grass stalk as bait stops as I feel there is a chance of fish taking in the plastic stops, there's too much plastic stuff about in the waters nowadays.

robtherake

Reaction score
I get on quite well using a a grass stalk, they're always there under your feet, maybe I'll try spaghetti sometime.

Ages since I've used spaghetti (since I discovered bait bands.) When the spaghetti softens the hair bites into it, locking it in place.