Prescription Glasses, polaroid etc

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Is it possible to get prescription bifocals that are polaroid and also reactolite* does anyone know? Thanks

*Get dark when the suns out, go clearer when it's not.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have prescription light reactive polarised glasses. I've been lead to believe that it's not possible to get any type of polarised lens that doesn't have at least an element of tint to it. You may not find a polarised lens that is, or goes, totally clear. Fortunately, I don't need varifocals/bifocals but I seem to recall them not being available. Have a look at the Drivewear website for confirmation. I dread to think what they might cost if they are available.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I do not recommend reactive prescription glasses for fishing - they apparently work on the amount of UV light available - I found that they stay dark for too long in the late evenings.

john step

Reaction score
I wear prescription varifocals which have UV protection coatings. When I need polarized lens for fishing I find the clip on ones that fit over my glasses very convenient. They dont damage the glasses.

The added bonus is that they flip up when you dont need them and visa versa when you do.

I have had them for years. I think they were marketed by Daiwa.

Far cheaper than buying prescription poloroids.

Just had a look on Google. There are many poloroid lens clip ons at about £17.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
A couple of top tips there. I will have a look on **** and buy a pair to try.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
cheers all.

A decent set of bifocals with clip on polaroids seems the best solution.

Must admit, even with bifocals looking through the bottom "reading" bit, I still struggle tying hooks on much smaller than a 12.

mikench

Reaction score
I do too. I bought my bifocals a good few years ago and i have never got used to them for close work and always take them off. I have tried and tried but to no avail. You can but try them! I even take them off to use the TV remote!

rayner

Reaction score
I couldn't get on with bifocals I use vary focal lenses, I have a second pair exactly the same with polarised lenses.
I you need reactive ask at the opticians for advice.
I suspect the flip up polaroid's that John Step mentioned is your best bet.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
I do too. I bought my bifocals a good few years ago and i have never got used to them for close work and always take them off. I have tried and tried but to no avail. You can but try them! I even take them off to use the TV remote!
If I took mine off for hook tying Id have no chance, With them on I can sort of see but have to hold the hook too far away to get it in focus. I need another pair with a nearer focus bottom bit.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Is it possible to get prescription bifocals that are polaroid and also reactolite* does anyone know? Thanks

You can now get the reactions polarised varifocals the I recently has new bins and asked the same question so when funds allow I shall be ordering a pair just for fishing getting hacked off with switching glasses all the time

PG..

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Hoping to have some clip on lenses delivered today. I bought a couple of different pairs and sizes to give them a try really and at less than £8 for both it was worth the risk. If I like them and can use them I can then get a better pair perhaps!

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
Hoping to have some clip on lenses delivered today. I bought a couple of different pairs and sizes to give them a try really and at less than £8 for both it was worth the risk. If I like them and can use them I can then get a better pair perhaps!

Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought these and a second set like them which do flip up!

Polarised Clip On Flip Style Sunglasses UV400 Polarized Fishing Eyewear & Case | eBay

They were cheap but they fit my glasses and look fine. I have yet to try them fishing but soon will and will wear them on a walk in a bit which takes me past a lovely little lake packed with fish but no fishing:(

You need to buy a style to suit your frames but at this price you cannot really go wrong and if they work for you you can get a better pair .

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 ----------

These were the others

Fashion Polarized Day Night Vision Clip-on Lens Driving Glasses Sunglasses | eBay

Dennis Martin

Reaction score

Optilabs sports glasses, but make sure you are seated when you look at the price.

mikench

Reaction score
I am sure they will be superb but at a price. Those I bought as a trial cost about £2.99 and £3.95 a pair . At least I can put these to the test before going for something very expensive. Perhaps I could justify them on the basis of the number of bites I miss!!:

I will report further after my next fishing session!

seth49

Reaction score
I have had a pair of cocoon sunglasses for years, these are polarised sun glasses which you wear over the top of your own glasses.

Not cheap about fifty pound now I think, but they are very good, I use mine a lot. They are very good when float fishing, take the glare of the water well. They help a lot.good for fish spotting or any time you need sunglasses.

They are a wrap around type so they cut out any light from the sides etc.