New Freespirit general coarse fishing rods

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
all my rods, admittedly few, have a screw down reel seat! What are the alternatives and why are they better?

I wasn't aware that there were alternatives other than the antiquated, i would have thought, steel rings which one moved up and down on the cork to secure the reel. I do have a bamboo rod circa 1965 which has this arrangement.

Screw up or Screw down reel seat is a personal thing, it makes no difference to the performance of the rod.

As you say, the rods of yesteryear had two metal rings, one up one down. I can remember anglers saying the screw reel seat wouldn't catch on, how things have changed.

I have rods with both up and down reel seats, it doesn't bother me either way.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think I've just twigged on as to why you left a good distance between your and my cars when we parked up the other week :D

Whatever you've got might be contagious!

all my rods, admittedly few, have a screw down reel seat! What are the alternatives and why are they better?

I wasn't aware that there were alternatives other than the antiquated, i would have thought, steel rings which one moved up and down on the cork to secure the reel. I do have a bamboo rod circa 1965 which has this arrangement.

Fuji type screw winch fittings can be fitted either way, screw up or screw down. On a rod that is held for long periods, I don't like the thread under the heel of my hand. Screw up fittings are not for me on float rods. I prefer screw down. There are two other alternatives, rings and slide lock. Rings have all but disappeared on modern rods and slide lock seats aren't common in the UK. Not all sliding rings are metal. Towards the end of their era, the likes of Dawn used a graphite composite that was actually pretty good.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Binka for explaining that. I will check my rods this evening but am pretty sure they are all screw down, the Korum, Middy and Drennen certainly are.

I thought you were going to wax lyrical about a very exclusive and expensive alternative not available on mainstream rods;)

mikench

Reaction score
I don't know about the silk but I have seen reels attached to rods with tape.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about the silk but I have seen reels attached to rods with tape.:)

I sometimes use a bit of electrical tape on sliding bands just as a saftey precaution....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well this is the update I got today regarding the new range of rods.

The rods should be in the shops end of August beginning of September. The rods should have been out in July, but there have been hold ups.

The full range of rods will not be in the shops to start with, no reason given for this.

There will be a stepped up version in the 11ft and 12ft float rods, with stepped up versions in the float carp range, they didn't say what size. I can only think they don't know themselves yet :eek:

As for a price range, they will let me know tomorrow, again they must be thinking of a price for the rods. You would have thought they already knew the price if the rods are going into the shops at the end of this month.

I will give you anymore info I can tomorrow, if they give me any that is.

All I can say is, Free Spirit don't seem to have this rod range sorted out very well.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like they've gone commercial and beefy rather than towards the lighter end of the scale. Oh well, it's not like I really need a new rod!;):D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Sounds like they've gone commercial and beefy rather than towards the lighter end of the scale. Oh well, it's not like I really need a new rod!;):D

Yes, they have seen there is a big market in the Commercial Market, a little slow as others have been doing it a while.

Hope to have the price range tomorrow.

trotter2

Reaction score
I am not bothered if its up locking or down locking when your using it I can tell no difference. And after a few fish you never think about it.
I few years ago I got all my rods out on the lawn for a wiggle after 10 minutes I realised how gullible I had been, half off them went on Ebay

robtherake

Reaction score
I am not bothered if its up locking or down locking when your using it I can tell no difference. And after a few fish you never think about it.
I few years ago I got all my rods out on the lawn for a wiggle after 10 minutes I realised how gullible I had been, half off them went on Ebay

Me either, but like we have widely different abilities for taste and smell, all humans have different levels of skin sensitivity and tolerance. Don't knock it - at least you know Sam won't be bidding for those ones on Ebay.:)

trotter2

Reaction score
Sounds good to me been looking for a new allerton for yonks' at a more sensible price than the retail:)