Trotting

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advise on catching good Roach. Can you take Roach trotting Bread Flake, or do you have to stret peg or leger with Maggot or Tares?

I live in Bristol, and fish the Autum and Winter on the small Somerset rivers. I almost never fish the Bristol Avon, but might if I could find places shallow enough to wade.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
yes bob bread flake is deadly in coloured water for roach.try using a big hook(8-6 or even 4) with a 50p size pinch of flake,pinch it onto your hook and leave a nice fluffy end on it.its amazing how big a piece of bread a roach can get in its gob.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
The River Axe at Lympsham coal wharfe near Brean has awesome roach fishing at this time of year Bob. Park up in the layby across from the coal wharfe gates and just walk through the gates and fish the pegs there on the left getting as close as you can to the road bridge.

Theres good roach fishing throughout the Bristol Avon mate. The shallows at Saltford for instance kick up some cracking nets on the hemp and tares as does Kelston and Newbridge, try the pegs behind the pump house at Newbridge or the point at Kelston.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
P,S St Georges park lake is heaving with nice roach on the caster and the River Frome at Wickham glen is wicked and rarely ever sees a rod. Fish across from the rhodedendrons just above the old block house in the glen itself.

Kingsgate park in Yate. Free fishing and really good quality roach on the caster.

Roach Mad

Reaction score
I fish for Roach almost exclusively in the winter months and trotting breadflake is my prefered method by far. i fish the upper stour in Dorset and have had many sizable Roach to over 2lb. I usualy opt for a roving approach trying each likely looking swim for around half an hour tje if i have no success i move on. It pays to take the minimum of equipment. I generally use a 15 ft match rod with an Abu closed face reel or a centrein but a closed face reel is fine too. I think the drennen avon floats or loafers take some beating when fishing flake and use as light a float as i can get away with shotted down as far as possible to register the tentative bites roach give more clearly. Hooks can be anything from a 14 to 10 usually Kamasan B911.

I will always try flake for an hour then if bites arn't forth coming switch to maggots or if the Roach are being finicky i try Bread punch. I think simple mashed Bread takes some beating for ground bait.

the hour up until dusk is in my experience the prime time to catch big Roach especialy on trotted flake. try blacking out the float tip with a permenent marker if the light makes orange hard to see, Tight lines