Recommendations

sam vimes

Reaction score
Another in an occasional series of small item recommendations.
I don't do this lightly and not until I've used the item more times than the average angler would in years. What appears in the how did you get on thread is only a small fraction of my fishing.

First up today is the relatively new Guru F1 Maggot hooks. If you are a bit bashing maggot drowner, these are spot on. I wasn't prepared to make the recommendation until I'd had a few half decent fish on them. Plenty of decent bream, carp and the odd tench removed any doubts. They look to be stupidly fine wire, but are surprisingly robust. A PTFE coating gives them nice dull finish and they are wickedly sharp, and remain so in use.

Second is the Dave Harrell No4 Bolo float. Not much use in the real rough stuff that makes up a lot of the local river water. However, get a nice bit of steady water, even with a good flow, and they are spot on. Nice and sensitive, accurate weight labelling, well made and finished. The tip is similar to the Drennan glow tip stuff. It remains visible at a good distance.

trotter2

Reaction score
What's the hooks like when trotting Sam will they hold a chub mate?

sam vimes

Reaction score
What's the hooks like when trotting Sam will they hold a chub mate?

I tend not to use barbless hooks when trotting, though I have given these a try. Unfortunately, I didn't catch anything as big as a good chub. The relatively long point and shank meant that they were better than most barbless patterns I've tried on the river. Summer carp in the 6-8lb range haven't been a problem, so I suspect that they'd be ok for all but the biggest chub. I wouldn't choose to use them for particularly big fish, but they've not been found wanting when they've turned up. Still prefer the Drennan Wide Gape Match for my river maggot fishing, other than when specifically targeting barbel on the float.

trotter2

Reaction score
Cheers Sam

The hook looks very similar to a kam b520 maybe a little longer point ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those hooks look ok but what do they have that super spades don't ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Those hooks look ok but what do they have that super spades don't ?

Totally different hook, barbless for a start. Superspades and Animals for me if I'm fishing for lumps. For my lighter maggot fishing my preference is for a crystal bend. Drennan Wide Gape Match where barbed are allowed and now these Guru F1 Maggot where it's barbless only.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Totally different hook, barbless for a start. Superspades and Animals for me if I'm fishing for lumps. For my lighter maggot fishing my preference is for a crystal bend. Drennan Wide Gape Match where barbed are allowed and now these Guru F1 Maggot where it's barbless only.

I can see they're a different shape and barbless, and they look lighter in the shank. I like the look of the drennan feeder hooks also but I think they look a little slimmer in the shank also.
Mustad do some decent lighter hooks but they do that many you've gott'a search through them until you see the ones you like the look of.

mikench

Reaction score
I bought some of those hooks today and will use them tomorrow with the 2 pints of maggots bought by an optimistic fellow member but given to me , who has been given his orders by his wife.

I have also collected some elderberries so am fully equipped for tomorrow. If members think that leftover Chinese ( chow mein Singapore style, char Sui foo yung and salt and pepper ribs) are good for specimen fish, please advise promptly before they disappear;)

flossy

Reaction score
Might add these too my list next week got to pick up a few bits .

Chefster

Reaction score
I,ve been using the Guru F1 Pellet hooks,brilliant sharp,strong hook...stay sharp for a whole shift,instead of having to keep putting new ones on after half a dozen fish;)

mikench

Reaction score
Had another good day and caught a nice Crucian on maggot. Attempted to use the hooks and spent about 5 minutes trying to pass the line through the eye of the hook to discover ,when I couldn't do it ,that I had bought spade end:D

Who can recommend a new pair of eyes!:rolleyes:

laguna

Reaction score
Had another good day and caught a nice Crucian on maggot. Attempted to use the hooks and spent about 5 minutes trying to pass the line through the eye of the hook to discover ,when I couldn't do it ,that I had bought spade end:D

Who can recommend a new pair of eyes!:rolleyes:
You can whip on a hair loop to the shank of a spade end Mike

mikench

Reaction score
Agreed! Even with a Maver hair rig tyer I sometimes struggle. I bought one of those desktop magnifying glasses which help!