Khv

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a non-day ticket water getting it? I was going to say non-commie, but I remembered that Albert Park Lake (Middlesbrough) had an outbreak earlier this year. Any syndicates or club waters had problems?

cg74

Reaction score
Farnham Angling Society's Badshot Lea Small and Big Ponds both had KHV outbreaks a few years back.

Don't be fooled by their names, at 4 and 18 acres they're not really 'ponds'.

barbelboi

Reaction score
No I can't recall any Sam, the only water on any clubs/syndicates over the years that I can recall was on the CEMEX Yateley complex, Burghfield match lake about 10 years ago - it was the only day ticket water on the complex at the time.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yep Sam,

Lots of misguided clubs/syndicates buy/obtain carp from sources that are less than reliable in the world of cheapness.

They hope to save money, but it never works and it cost money in the end.

Shame the people responsible often keep their jobs, you know who you are !!

Bob

cg74

Reaction score
The Oxford Canal had major carp losses in the early/mid 90's but I'm not sure that KHV was to blame. I think that Spring Viremia may have been the cause?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The Radio 4 programme did mention certain areas where the virus had been found without being specific so if you listen to it you could ask the Beeb via email if they can give actual venues. Bit of a long shot I know but they did say eleven venues affected although over what period wasn't mentioned.....

Just a thought...................

ps They only mentioned Cornwall, Lincolnshire, Staffordshire and Nottinghamshire in the prog, and they did say a ' government 'had visited the water and would be doing so again. No doubt you will know who this is - Defra ( ? )

pps Larford Lakes in Worc. was the place hit............

Sam Vimes...........You will have your own reasons, but I fail to see why you thought it necessary to open another thread on this matter as it just means two are running on precisely the same subject.......I'd have thought all info on the subject better in one place ??

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam Vimes...........You will have your own reasons, but I fail to see why you thought it necessary to open another thread on this matter as it just means two are running on precisely the same subject.......I'd have thought all info on the subject better in one place ??

I'm not entirely certain that I should be responding to what seems to be a rather waspish question. However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Whilst I can acknowledge that my question involves KHV, I deemed it to be significantly different enough to warrant a separate thread. I considered that plenty of grumpy forumites would consider it a derailing of your thread from its core subject of preventing the spread of KHV through the use of disinfectants and thorough drying. As I've already read up on your question, I wasn't particularly interested in it, but certainly didn't wish to bog it down with what might essentially boil down to a list of previously infected waters.

I look forward to seeing you challenge everyone that starts a new thread on a subject that's vaguely similar, or even identical, to one that's gone before. As you've already made the admission that another KHV thread had preceded your own by a relatively short time, I'll assume that you've already given yourself a damned good public dressing down, that I somehow missed.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think you'll find my thread came about as a result of a radio programme with what I thought was significantly ' new information ' as it is basically a current affairs programme dealing with various subjects.

" Plenty of grumpy forumites " etc etc. Oh please ! Since when has that ever bothered anyone ? I cross other folks threads myself and usually apologies for doing so, and anyway, as I said it is all around the same subject - isn't it ?

I asked a simple question, but you found it necessary to use silly word like ' waspish ' to label that question....................almost as if you felt slighted that I might question your motives ?

Of course I agree, Sam, that many threads on similar subject sometimes run at similar times, BUT this one, on such an important subject, really needed to be under one umbrella IMHO. You'll disagree no doubt so that is where I'll leave it ; We'll agree to differ - okay ??

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I may have this wrong, but was KHV introduced through the Israel strain of Koi Carp ?

If so there are so many of the strain swimming around in British waters there is always a chance of the KHV virus spreading to healthy carp populations.

I belonged to a club who were offered for nothing an pond full of ordiemental species.

They accepted and stocked the fish into a lake containing Carp to over 40lbs. three quarters of the original carp stock died ?

There excuse, they wanted more verity of species for the Match fishermen within the club, who already had lots of Match type venues.

Completely crazy ?

Bob