inline cage feeder

tony1234

Reaction score
Hello

I am currently fishing with the Matrix inline cage feeders. They weigh 40 grams. The reason why I prefer this type of swimfeeder is because an inline flat feeder is not suitable for fishing in deeper water with a moderate current.

My hooklength is 4 inches long, the hooksize is number 10, with on the hair 1 corn. The thickness is Ø 22.

The problem I encounter is quite annoying. When I cast my rod, it so happens that my hooklength twists with my mainline. Consequently I don't stand a chance to catch a fish.

To solve the problem, I tried to shorten the hooklength to 2 inches. My question to you: isn't this too short?

I've also tried to increase the thickness of my mainline to Ø 28. Isn't that too much?

Has anybody experienced the same problems?

I would prefer to fish with a hooklength of 4 inches, the prime target is bream.

Would an increase of the weight of the feeder to 50 or 60 grams result in me catching more fish?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Flanders (Belgium)! :cool:

Tony

greenie62

Reaction score
...My hooklength is 4 inches long, the hooksize is number 10, with on the hair 1 corn. The thickness is Ø 22.

The problem I encounter is quite annoying. When I cast my rod, it so happens that my hooklength twists with my mainline. Consequently I don't stand a chance to catch a fish....

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the FM Mad-house!

Try tucking your bait into the end of the feeder - this should stop it twisting round the main-line - irrespective of the length of the hook-link. Many bream anglers go for a longer hooklength than 10cm - often over 50cm.

Your method sounds ideal for me - as I usually try to avoid catching bream!:D

Tight Lines :thumbs:

lutra

Reaction score
I've always found 3-4" to works well with an inline feeder. Never found any advantage in going longer, it just encourages deep hooking. If you go to short, you may find they start nicking the bait off your hair without getting hooked.

As Greenie62 says, you can took some or all of your hook length inside your feeder to stop it tangling when casting.

sagalout

Reaction score
As Greenie says tuck it in, also be aware that the wrap round can happen on the retrieve.

rayner

Reaction score
I always opt for a 2 foot hook link for bream fishing. Because I like a slow fall to my hook bait.
In your circumstance with a short hook link, as said above tuck the line inside the feeder with the hook showing.
Leaving the hook outside the feeder will prevent the hook snagging the feeder.

tony1234

Reaction score
I will try to tuck a part of the hooklength in the feeder . I wonder if I need to fish with braid in that case?

I also have another question . Since it is getting colder i would like to change my hookbait (corn) to dead maggots and put some small sized living maggots in the inline cage feeder. How many dead maggots should i put on a size 10 hook and doesn't that prevent the self hooking mechanism because not fishing with a hair ?.

robtherake

Reaction score
I will try to tuck a part of the hooklength in the feeder . I wonder if I need to fish with braid in that case?

I also have another question . Since it is getting colder i would like to change my hookbait (corn) to dead maggots and put some small sized living maggots in the inline cage feeder. How many dead maggots should i put on a size 10 hook and doesn't that prevent the self hooking mechanism because not fishing with a hair ?.

You don't need a hair rig in all cases - the self-hooking part will still happen as soon as the fish tightens the line to the feeder. As to how many maggots - ask Tigger how many you can get on a small hook, I believe he holds the record!;)

You'll be able to sandwich a big pinch of maggots between two slugs of groundbait when filling the feeder, leaving the bottom end not quite full so there's room to trap the hooklink with the last thumbload. That's how I do it, anyroad.:)

lutra

Reaction score

No you don't have to use a hair Tony, but you do need to leave the point of the hook showing and not block it all up with bait.

A lot on a size 10 I should think. Its a very big hook for maggots.

greenie62

Reaction score
I will try to tuck a part of the hooklength in the feeder . I wonder if I need to fish with braid in that case? NO - no need to overcomplicate things - KISS Principle applies!

The hair-rig isn't necessarily a self-hooking mechanism.
You can still use the hair with dead maggies - just supaglue one to it - then supaglue another 3-5 to that one!
Might be worth trying a small cube of meat on the hair - as a change bait - or a drilled 8mm pellet!
Tight Lines!

laguna

Reaction score
That's how I do it, anyroad.
That's a proper Yorkshire sayin that is!

A hook that size will puncture your maggots. Avoid bream at all costs, but I would use a looped-hair if putting a big bunch of maggots on.
You can get 20 maggots on (pinched in the arse) with a thin curved sewing needle by looping back a long open hair, tucked into some rig tubing on the shank.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Is that even with an inline (bolt rig) feeder like Tony is asking about?

With my longer hook links, my longer links are fastened to the main line with three loops to form a boom to help prevent tangles.
Using a short link a boom would be close to impossible (in my opinion) so tucking the short link in the feeder is a way to prevent the issues that were mentioned in the opening post.
Putting the baited hook in the feeder could also cause the hook to snag the feeder, leaving the hook exposed should keep the hook from snagging.

Edit.
Soz lutra I misread your post.
I only use a longer hook link with a open end feeder, inline would be no longer than 6 inch. The only inline feeders I use are flat bed, the hook as we know is mostly on the baited feeder. I understand the feeder used by the OP was an open end.

Last edited:

tony1234

Reaction score
I don't use inline flat feeders because the canal I fish on is about 5 meters deep and sometimes there is a strong current .
I tried some things: what I find puzzling is that while fishing with a flat inline feeder in shallow water, every bite results in a fish, however using that same hooklength on an inline cage feeder things are different a lot more fish get away. Would it be a good thing to increase the weight from the swimfeeder from 40 to 50 or 60 grams ? I also have another question would it be a good idea to use two fake red maggots on the hair ?

Greetings from Belgium

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
With my longer hook links, my longer links are fastened to the main line with three loops to form a boom to help prevent tangles.
Using a short link a boom would be close to impossible (in my opinion) so tucking the short link in the feeder is a way to prevent the issues that were mentioned in the opening post.
Putting the baited hook in the feeder could also cause the hook to snag the feeder, leaving the hook exposed should keep the hook from snagging.

/QUOTE]

You'd think so, but in practice it all but eliminates tangles. My thinking is that the initial impact with the water blasts the end contents clear, taking the baited hook with it. It was something I tried in desperation when chucking into the wind with a paternostered open-ender caused a tangle every other cast and since it fixed the issue it's how I've done it ever since. At least this way you can be pretty sure that your bait is presented effectively. Very, very rarely, the hook finds its way out of the other end of the feeder, but since that's only happened a few times over the years I'm happy to stick with it.:)

laguna

Reaction score
I've never suffered from tangles with feeders, and I don't stick my hook in the method mix, but for those that are paranoid, here's an original tip: :)

Using PVA string...
As an option, you can fish straight-through using an in-line feeder - maintaining any distance between the hook and feeder. There's no need for a hook-link, bead or swivel.

Simply tie a stop knot using some PVA string to the line at the required distance between the hook and feeder. Nick the hook through the PVA shortening the length from say a 4" length to form a 2" loop, thus temporarily making it shorter and less prone to tangles for casting purposes. cast and tighten up once the string has dissolved.

The string won't impede the action of the bolt.

If you do use a hook-link (preferred), just tie the PVA string through the eye of the swivel instead, then form a loop to shorten it by half, nicking the hook onto the string.

You heard it here first! :thumbs:

chrissh

Reaction score
Do you have to use a cage feeder or can you use a method feeder the guru feeders have a removable line clip fitted to them

11.jpg

View image in gallery

tony1234

Reaction score
I need to use a closed inline feeder : deep water and current. I do use flat inle feeders for shallow water. I also like to use an inline cage feeder because i can put a lot of pinkies (mini maggots) in the feeder along with the groundbait.

This saturday I fished with the system using three living maggots on a hook size 14. hooklength 4 inch , thikness 22 , and a boldrig system (with attention to fish safety) . What i don't understand is that when i get a drop back bite , I don't manage to hook the fish . should i increase the weight of the lead ? Perhaps shorter hooklength ?

I do agree that the flat inline feeder is very good , but i must find a way to catch fish in deep canals to !

laguna

Reaction score
I need to use a closed inline feeder : deep water and current. I do use flat inle feeders for shallow water. I also like to use an inline cage feeder because i can put a lot of pinkies (mini maggots) in the feeder along with the groundbait.

This saturday I fished with the system using three living maggots on a hook size 14. hooklength 4 inch , thikness 22 , and a boldrig system (with attention to fish safety) . What i don't understand is that when i get a drop back bite , I don't manage to hook the fish . should i increase the weight of the lead ? Perhaps shorter hooklength ?

I do agree that the flat inline feeder is very good , but i must find a way to catch fish in deep canals to !

Drop back bites are tricky with an in-line feeder. Have a search for "Pristex SLED's" in-line feeders, the inserts used offer some slight resistance when a fish picks up the bait using slack lines and will counter any drop backs. Only small weights available at the moment but I can confirm the inserts (bought separately) can be used to convert any existing feeders and they work very well.

rubio

Reaction score
There may be some significant difference in what a canal looks like. Ours are typically narrow and shallow. A canal in Belgium may well carry more water than our biggest rivers hence the desire for a cage feeder that gets bait down a long way.
Mole hill soil and leam are good I think. Sometimes PV1 as an additive.