Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default inline cage feeder

Hello

I am currently fishing with the Matrix inline cage feeders. They weigh 40 grams. The reason why I prefer this type of swimfeeder is because an inline flat feeder is not suitable for fishing in deeper water with a moderate current.

My hooklength is 4 inches long, the hooksize is number 10, with on the hair 1 corn. The thickness is Ø 22.

The problem I encounter is quite annoying. When I cast my rod, it so happens that my hooklength twists with my mainline. Consequently I don't stand a chance to catch a fish.

To solve the problem, I tried to shorten the hooklength to 2 inches. My question to you: isn't this too short?

I've also tried to increase the thickness of my mainline to Ø 28. Isn't that too much?

Has anybody experienced the same problems?

I would prefer to fish with a hooklength of 4 inches, the prime target is bream.

Would an increase of the weight of the feeder to 50 or 60 grams result in me catching more fish?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Flanders (Belgium)!

Tony

Default Re: inline cage feeder

Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    ...My hooklength is 4 inches long, the hooksize is number 10, with on the hair 1 corn. The thickness is Ø 22.

The problem I encounter is quite annoying. When I cast my rod, it so happens that my hooklength twists with my mainline. Consequently I don't stand a chance to catch a fish....
    Hi Tony,
    Welcome to the FM Mad-house!

Try tucking your bait into the end of the feeder - this should stop it twisting round the main-line - irrespective of the length of the hook-link. Many bream anglers go for a longer hooklength than 10cm - often over 50cm.

Your method sounds ideal for me - as I usually try to avoid catching bream!

Tight Lines

Would adding a boon help?
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

I've always found 3-4" to works well with an inline feeder. Never found any advantage in going longer, it just encourages deep hooking. If you go to short, you may find they start nicking the bait off your hair without getting hooked.

As Greenie62 says, you can took some or all of your hook length inside your feeder to stop it tangling when casting.

As Greenie says tuck it in, also be aware that the wrap round can happen on the retrieve.

Blog Entries

I always opt for a 2 foot hook link for bream fishing. Because I like a slow fall to my hook bait.
    In your circumstance with a short hook link, as said above tuck the line inside the feeder with the hook showing.
    Leaving the hook outside the feeder will prevent the hook snagging the feeder.

I will try to tuck a part of the hooklength in the feeder . I wonder if I need to fish with braid in that case?

I also have another question . Since it is getting colder i would like to change my hookbait (corn) to dead maggots and put some small sized living maggots in the inline cage feeder. How many dead maggots should i put on a size 10 hook and doesn't that prevent the self hooking mechanism because not fishing with a hair ?.

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    I always opt for a 2 foot hook link for bream fishing. Because I like a slow fall to my hook bait.
    Is that even with an inline (bolt rig) feeder like Tony is asking about?

I will try to tuck a part of the hooklength in the feeder . I wonder if I need to fish with braid in that case?

I also have another question . Since it is getting colder i would like to change my hookbait (corn) to dead maggots and put some small sized living maggots in the inline cage feeder. How many dead maggots should i put on a size 10 hook and doesn't that prevent the self hooking mechanism because not fishing with a hair ?.
    You don't need a hair rig in all cases - the self-hooking part will still happen as soon as the fish tightens the line to the feeder. As to how many maggots - ask Tigger how many you can get on a small hook, I believe he holds the record!

You'll be able to sandwich a big pinch of maggots between two slugs of groundbait when filling the feeder, leaving the bottom end not quite full so there's room to trap the hooklink with the last thumbload. That's how I do it, anyroad.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

No you don't have to use a hair Tony, but you do need to leave the point of the hook showing and not block it all up with bait.

A lot on a size 10 I should think. Its a very big hook for maggots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast