Carbotec Float Rods

sam vimes

Reaction score
For the rather limited number of owners, that might also be familiar with the Normark float rods, how do they compare in respect to broad equivalency. Are we talking Carbotec No.1 = Microlite, No.2 = Titan, No.3 = Avenger etc, or something else? Does the Carbotec range get increasingly powerful as the number increases or do some of them have markedly different actions/intended applications?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I would say that is a pretty close assumption Sam with the No1 having the fastest tip action.....

mikench

Reaction score
You are in a rarified group clearly! I have never heard of them and assume they are no longer made! Are they the piscatorial equivalent of a Thorens TD150 Mk1:rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can sense another rod coming your way Sam?

Sadly, not in a hurry. I doubt that a Carbotec No.1 will be any easier to find than the Microlite MKII (pre Masterline) that I'd prefer (OCD set completion!:eek:;):D). Just keeping my rather limited options open.

You are in a rarified group clearly! I have never heard of them and assume they are no longer made! Are they the piscatorial equivalent of a Thorens TD150 Mk1:rolleyes:

I like my hi-fi, but they are only kind of like that. I'd put any turntable as being closer to being the equivalent of a split cane rod. You can still get modern ones, that may well be wonderful, and cost an arm and leg, but they are still essentially a defunct technology. It has to be said that I'm typing as I'm playing random (lossless) music from my laptop via bluetooth to an offboard DAC and the full on hi-fi. Seriously thinking of really going to town on this way of listening and cutting down on the clutter. I've even been researching personal cloud storage to keep things tidy, uncluttered and media available to all devices capable of using it. I never imagined that I'd even considered this in the infancy of this kind of technology.

Sam's obviously got wind of one from somewhere (start checking ebay):)

Without being as devious as chucking red herrings about, don't waste your time. I've found nothing. Not for want of trying though.;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have both the Carbotex No. 3 Float and the FAST Quiver tip rods.

Those are best suited for larger fish like Chub and Barbel, in fact that was the reason I bought mine years ago.

The original Carbotec rods are no longer made and whenever they come up on auction sits seems to fetch very good money. Even a spare tip these days seem to fetch around £40, but then they were £32 when I bought mine.

The number 1, which I wish I had bought at the same time, is much better suited for roach, dace etc., but personally I never saw much of a use for the number 2 as it was pretty close to the number 3 except for a lighter line.

They truly are excellent rods, never lock up and are a joy to fish with.

When I eventually sell up before moving to France I will keep you in mind Sam . . . . .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Let us hope Brexit does not scupper our plans Peter.

On the contrary Mike, it is the Brexit result that has prompted and accelerated my plans . . . . .

Also, I already have my Cartes de Sejours so the result won't affect me in that way.

But that however is too close to a political comment, so . . . nuff said

d'accord?

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The Carbotec rods came out at a time when Geoff Salisbury moved on from Normark and when waggler fishing with maggots/casters was in vogue for commercial carp fishing for carp in the 2-4lb range so people were looking for rods that could beat these match-size carp quickly, before the days of pellet waggler rods. They are incredible rods for playing fish. I'd say the no. 1 equate to a Titan 2000, the no. 2 to a Avenger 2000, the no. 4 to the old Normark Specimen Match with the no. 3 somewhere between the Avenger and Specimen Match. To add to the mix there are the 'soft' tops for the no. 1 and 2, so maybe the no. 1 with soft top nearly equates to a Microlite. I've got the no. 2 and it's an incredible chub and tench rod though OK for roach, dace and grayling. Like Peter I wish I'd got the no. 1 plus soft tops for the 1 & 2.

When I bought - they weren't on sale that widely and no discounts - Andy Browne of Avon Angling said just lift the rod and the carp with come to the top so as a tryout I went to a commercial stacked with 3lb carp and fished 2lb line. First bite I hooked a carp and tried he lift and nothing happened, tried again, still nothing, stopped it from going in a rush bed with ease, but puzzled by the fight, all along convinced I'd hooked a 3lb carp which I couldn't see due to the murky water, landed a few minutes later, a feisty 11lber...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thank you all. Sounds like they need to be added to the list of rods I must try sometime. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the Microlite hunt is going to be ended by getting my sticky mitts on a Carbotec.

silvers

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the shaky Mach 3 range were based on carbotecs that were sent to the factory to be "replicated". I'll verify that when I next see James. Having not handled a true carbotec I will leave it to others to judge whether they we successful!