Shining Times

choppers

Reaction score
Hello All, Chris Binyon, and i think his character Stocher was a great favourite of mine. Any info about him would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

paulas

Reaction score
I read on another forum somewhere that Chris Binyon passed away some years ago. I remember Shining Times, it was in Coarse Fisherman in the late 70,s early 80,s. Wish I could get hold of some of those old magazines. Mine all went in the bin years ago. I heard that david hall publishing have released a book called snide rumours and dirty lies. You might remember that aswell in coarse fisherman.

flightliner

Reaction score
I read on another forum somewhere that Chris Binyon passed away some years ago. I remember Shining Times, it was in Coarse Fisherman in the late 70,s early 80,s. Wish I could get hold of some of those old magazines. Mine all went in the bin years ago. I heard that david hall publishing have released a book called snide rumours and dirty lies. You might remember that aswell in coarse fisherman.
Paulas, I remember the snide rumours stuff , were they written by "matthew black" ???

flightliner

Reaction score
He was one of the original "bait guru's" years ago.
I think He went into partnership with Bill cottam at Nutrabaits for awhile.
I used to see him in a local tackle shop on occasions, I have one or two of his books, a good writer.

paulas

Reaction score
going back to coarse fisherman mag, there were some real characters. Remember John Sidley from Birmingham, fished for eels and pike. Believe he died quite young. Nev Fickling used to get some stick in snide rumours. Remember Ray Webb used to fish with Barrie Rickards, real eccentric he was. He went fishing full time, in Ireland mostly I believe. There were a couple of interviews with him. If you read fishing for big tench by Rickards and Webb there is a pic of his homemade boat. Heath Robinson springs to mind!!
Showing my age now!!

flightliner

Reaction score
going back to coarse fisherman mag, there were some real characters. Remember John Sidley from Birmingham, fished for eels and pike. Believe he died quite young. Nev Fickling used to get some stick in snide rumours. Remember Ray Webb used to fish with Barrie Rickards, real eccentric he was. He went fishing full time, in Ireland mostly I believe. There were a couple of interviews with him. If you read fishing for big tench by Rickards and Webb there is a pic of his homemade boat. Heath Robinson springs to mind!!
Showing my age now!!
Was,nt Ray webbs boat called "The black pig" ?????

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Whatever his boat was called I don't think it ended well for Ray if my memory serves.

Back on the "Snide Rumours" thing I used to love that. I remember SR&DL turning John Sidleys "Put Eels Back" campaign into "Put Binyon back". I cant remember what prompted that but there must have been a falling out somewhere.

Migod it was a long time ago now.

paulas

Reaction score
yeh I think it was tinca tinca. The picture in the book shows what looks like a coffin with a couple of outriggers lol. I believe Ray Webb ended up in a home. Don't think spending all that time on the bank did him any good! There is a story about him attempting to travel up to Lomond on a moped with his gear strapped to it. Didn't he use a Morris minor van aswell. Bit different from the transport today lol.
One of the pike anglers I knew who frequented a well known northwest reservoir got his moment of fame in snide rumours...for supposedly fighting on the bank haha