Banded pellet on a float setup

nova12

Reaction score
Is it possible to catch fish on the float using a banded pellet on a hair?
Or will it sit all wrong i use alot of banded baits for me feeder work and wonderd if it is possible to us them on the float? Would make life easier save wetting them down and struggling to hook em?? And i dont use many soft hookers dueto little success

B

binka

I used to float fish banded pellets a lot on a local stillwater, it worked a treat.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on most waters, I've never been a fan of soft hookers either.

greenie62

Reaction score
I've used them a lot as well.
Usually hard 6mm Halibut pellets on Drennan Silverfish Bandits to Nylon - also with 'expanders' fished 'on the drop' for silvers and F1s on a local mixed fishery. The slightly slower sink-rate of the expanders seems to pick-up a few more rudd but with occasional mithering from tiddler roach! Can liven-up a quiet day fishing!:)
Tight Lines:thumbs:

mikench

Reaction score
I have been known to do precisely that much to my amazement with a waggler float set up!;)

Needless to say If I can do it you can! I too have never mastered expanded pellets and the syringe i bought to create them lies forlorn in my tackle cabinet ( a plastic set of 4 drawers in pink discarded by my youngest daughter).

sagalout

Reaction score
It is my main way to fish the float, I am a great fan of hard pellets, cheap, robust, and simple to prepare (i.e. do nothing to them). For the 4mm pellets I lasso them rather than band because the bands I have are to big for the 4mm pellets and the lasso is very unobtrusive.

Todays top tip - I keep a small tub of of each pellet size (4, 6 and 8mm) soaked in oil (hemp oil, bait tech tuna and krill or van dyne pellet) for banding when feeder fishing of pellet waggler because it makes then very slow to to break down.

robtherake

Reaction score
I have been known to do precisely that much to my amazement with a waggler float set up!;)

Needless to say If I can do it you can! I too have never mastered expanded pellets and the syringe i bought to create them lies forlorn in my tackle cabinet ( a plastic set of 4 drawers in pink discarded by my youngest daughter).

Syringe? You mean a pellet pump, Mike? They used to be bulky affairs but the newer ones seem to be quite compact.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pellet+pump

oyster

Reaction score
This is a question I have been meaning to ask myself - but in relation to float fishing a river - perhaps using a stick float? Have heard people saying they have been catching large roach on the severn using pellet. I want to try using some small 3/6mm pellets on the stick. The options seem to be -

Short hair (difficult to drill a small pellet)
Glueing or banding to hook
Softening or using an expander

I have my doubts about all the above, mostly due to how the roach feed. Anyone have any thoughts?

robertroach

Reaction score
I am always about 20 years out of date and I have never used pellets at all until last year when I tried out some Red Robin 8mm pellets on a band and a waggler float. It was really effective for a local stillwater where the roach are reasonable size and of course gets round the problem of having tiny fish constantly taking the bait.

Only one problem - carp- if you are targetting roach you don't want to get bogged down in long battles with them.

mikench

Reaction score
I did mean Syringe Rob! Some kind soul on this forum recommended getting one of ***y for about a £ which I did. It works a treat if this is an apt decription for a process giving you some soft pellets which keep falling of the hook and which after a week in the fridge resemble a Farleys rusk;)

The needle is not attached and one half fills the thing with water and a dozen or so pellets and then , with a finger on top of the hole one pulls the syringe down thus withdrawing the air.!

rayner

Reaction score
This is a question I have been meaning to ask myself - but in relation to float fishing a river - perhaps using a stick float? Have heard people saying they have been catching large roach on the severn using pellet. I want to try using some small 3/6mm pellets on the stick. The options seem to be -

Short hair (difficult to drill a small pellet)
Glueing or banding to hook
Softening or using an expander

I have my doubts about all the above, mostly due to how the roach feed. Anyone have any thoughts?

Bait Tech do a 2mm expander.
I picked up a tip regarding hooking hard pellets from the Angling Star. it was a publication that was local to Sheffield and surrounding areas.
The tip was to glue a piece of nylon stocking to the pellet then hook that. Not something I ever needed to do I have full confidence with expanders or banded hard pellets.

I did mean Syringe Rob! Some kind soul on this forum recommended getting one of ***y for about a £ which I did. It works a treat if this is an apt decription for a process giving you some soft pellets which keep falling of the hook and which after a week in the fridge resemble a Farleys rusk;)

The needle is not attached and one half fills the thing with water and a dozen or so pellets and then , with a finger on top of the hole one pulls the syringe down thus withdrawing the air.!

Mike what can go wrong, load pellets in syringe top up with water and pull the plunger.
They're pellets not some alien being.
For a plug use the plastic end off a needle and block the end.
Don't forget to cut off the sharp bit. :D:D
Personally I use a 100mm Syringe with a thick nozzle, the type used for horses.

john step

Reaction score
The tip was to glue a piece of nylon stocking to the pellet then hook that. Not something I ever needed to do I have full confidence with expanders or banded hard pellets.

Another way I have tried with success is to get a fairly wide elastic band and cut into strips.
Superglue 6/8 mm hard pellets to the strip and store in a small plastic container, ready to go.

You can then hook through the elastic giving a hair rig effect.
You can push the band around to whatever position you want on the hook and it will stay put due to the elastic gripping the hook.

Cut the strips a bit on the long side then you have leeway to trim down the length to suit on the day.

The elastic doesn't put fish off.

rayner

Reaction score
Mike if you are struggling with expanders try pumping them with gelatine for a more hardy soft pellet.
I have used it with rubbish expanders, it works very well.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Rayner! So many techniques and tips it makes me wonder why the manufacturers don't make them like that in the first place;)

John, Greys do some neat pellet bands with a tip sticking out( a frying pan shape) and the hook goes through the handle bit as it were!

paul80

Reaction score
When fishing my local runs water I find the most successful is a float fished banded pellet

Basic setup is waggler float set just over full depth, hair rigged hook with bait band on the hair, then use one of prestons quick cone presses to mould damp 2mm feed pellets around the hook bait. Half fill the quick cone, place hook and pellet in the quick cone then fill and press, so you end up with a barrel of pellets with the hook bait inside.

Found this to be a deadly method on the waters I fish.

mikench

Reaction score
That method is also on my agenda, after bread, punch, worm, expander, Bury black pudding and mustard.... sorry that is for dinner!:)

There are insufficient agreeable daylight hours at the moment;)

sagalout

Reaction score
Band your pellet, get a bit of ground bait (I use liquidised pellet) mould it round the hook and pellet, chuck it in.

To make fibre paste (deadly on it's own on the hook) use liquidised pellet and wheat gluten https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co....IfzvNGf2jCsD-YjMsLiPrASn-s1vGLszuxhoCADHw_wcB at a ratio of 3 pellet to 1 gluten. Do not over wet initially, add a little water then mix and repeat. I found to much water initially seems to prevent the wheat gluten powder turning into strands.

Expanders - http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/tackle-rigs-bait/358802-expanders.html

mikench

Reaction score
You were the kind soul sagalout who recommended the syringe. I did follow your very useful guide to the letter but I didn't catch and still had difficulties keeping the things on the hook or the hair even with hemp oil! Must do better!;)

sagalout

Reaction score
Mike, I ain't no expert as you can tell, but I have had great success with the expanders done the Nick Speed way.

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

You were the kind soul
Mrs Lout calls me a different kind of sole.

lutra

Reaction score
8mm banded pellet can work well trotted for chub and barbel. Especially when small fish (minnows) are doing your head in on other baits.