Guessing the weight of a specimen roach?

Reaction score
Some years ago as kids we fished the river Calder for anything that swam!

My Brother wasn't really into the sport so wandered off as usual but left his rod out. Anyway I was quite happy catching bits here and there when his rod started off into the river!

My brother had gone down stream about 200 yards so I grabbed his rod by jumping in after it up to my knees - but landed him the biggest roach I had ever seen!

We could only afford basic tackle so we had no scales but what a specimen it was!
I have never before landed nor seen anything as big in my life so I cannot even imagine how much it must have weighed.

If anyone here has caught or even seen a healthy 10/11" long roach what would you guess as to its approximate weight?

Would it for example compare with a bream of similar size?

Thanks for all who reply.

[edited] Yes it was a roach - it had orange fins! /forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

12 to 14 oz.

2 lb roach can vary from 13 to 15inches in length

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron's guess is a fair one but a roach that was 10" to the tip of its tail might not be much more than 8 oz but a roach that was 11" to the fork might just scrape a pound so you can see there's a lot of guesswork here.

Roach Mad

Reaction score
A 1lb sounds about right, i bet it was a beutiful sight for one so young and i as a Roach fan can understand why it is etched on your memory.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the "guesswork" - 1lb ill go with that!

Roach mad it is certainly etched in my memory it was a fantastic looking fish, beautiful condition and certainly a great day for two young lads. Unfortunately my brother wasn't that impressed for two reasons:

1. He didn't appreciate me landing it for him
2. He didn't realise the significance of the size way back early 70's

I used to keep a diary of catches, weather conditions, baits used etc. but in all honesty we never weighed anything so all my weights are guess work and committed to memory.

Incidentally it was caught with single white maggot - we never varied our hook baits.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Some still water roach I was catching a few months ago were exactly 1lb at 12 1/2 inches. They were in good condition, other than being a bit slim that was all.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"2 lb roach can vary from 13 to 15inches in length"

I almost wish you hadn't said that, Ron.

About fortyyears ago I spent a raw January day trotting flake on the Royalty, for one bite, a lump of a roach that made my day. Having no scales with me, I marked the length off on the butt of my Taperflash and guesstimated a pound and a half. It was 13.5 inches to the fork of the tail, and as solid as a - well, a January Avon roach! To think it may have been a"Two"!!!

Needless to say, I always carry scales now!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

My biggest ever roach came from the Severn near Stourport on the Littleton AC stretch. It was taken in March 1996 and was 15 inches long. I marked the length on my cork handle and measured it when I got home.

The roach weighed 2lbs 7oz.

I phoned Des Taylor that evening and thnked himfor putting me onto some of the finest roach fishing I have ever had in my life.

Good old Des!

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
PBs_002.jpg

I've never measured any of my '2's or '3's butthis Avon roach was the exact width of my unhooking mat from nose to tail tip. That was 18.5 inches and it weighed 2lb 12oz I thought it was a certain '3' but it was a lean old fish.

Reaction score
Michael ours was estimated to be about 2/3 the size of the one your holding in that picture! Probably from its snout to anal fin.

I dont think it was that particular one though... I dont recognise his face/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif