Float making.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: Mini - Porcupine Quill Perch Bobber

I have been meaning to make one of these for quite some time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a . . . . .

"Mini - Perch Bobber With A Porcupine Quill Stem"

Full write up and many more pictures on the blog.
;)
2i6laax.jpg

29kosvd.jpg

167kro0.jpg

9asap2.jpg

B

binka

I've been meaning to try my hand at a set of dibbers for some time as they're something I quite regularly use.

I like the Drennan ones and soulless plastic aside I think they do a very good job but I've never understood why so many dibber designs have so much body in them... I think Rizov are probably the nicest I've seen.

Anyway, as yet untested so I won't be making more sizes until it is but I think it will be fine and I went for the side eye by gluing the shank of a size 20 eyed hook into it before painting and varnishing...

29ut05g.jpg

I might have a go at shotting it up later but I'm thinking 4 or 5 x no.10 which will be perfect for the lightest in a set.

nottskev

Reaction score
I like that one, Steve. Mine are usually a scruffy bit of peacock with a bit of cane, but I made a bit more effort with a set of these, taking 5 no8.

I have used eyed hooks, snipped at the bend, for eyes, but I found they rusted eventually. (If I didn't lose them in far bank foliage before that). I bought a pack of stainless eyes from one of the online floatmaking suppliers.

dibber.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
I've been meaning to try my hand at a set of dibbers for some time as they're something I quite regularly use.

I like the Drennan ones and soulless plastic aside I think they do a very good job but I've never understood why so many dibber designs have so much body in them... I think Rizov are probably the nicest I've seen.

Anyway, as yet untested so I won't be making more sizes until it is but I think it will be fine and I went for the side eye by gluing the shank of a size 20 eyed hook into it before painting and varnishing...

29ut05g.jpg

I might have a go at shotting it up later but I'm thinking 4 or 5 x no.10 which will be perfect for the lightest in a set.
I'm hoping to get a few dib dib dibs on my latest Barbel floats ---- all twelve inches of them ! ;)
Bowlocks, pastedin the wrong spot lol.

mikench

Reaction score
I assume dibbers are so called because if you fail catch with them you can use them for planting out your seeds and seedlings:rolleyes:

flightliner

Reaction score
Jeez Mick they look like they should be stood in a milk bottle tonight before being lit :)

Edited to add: Very nice all the same and an interesting design which I have no doubt whatsoever is very deliberate...
Deliberate is the key word Steve, I wrote on here a month ago that I was trying out some new design river floats for a Derbyshire floatmaker-- not far from you as it happens who also used to fish with Jan porter in his Trent days.
Anyway I told him that it would be nice to try some bigger ones for Barbel that could "boss the river" as I often have a s'westerly pushing down and on to me on many parts of the river-- especially the tidal reaches.
So, he's made me these and tho its a bit late now in the year I can't wait to try them out .
The sheer loading of them will certainly go a long way to help presentation and the designer assures me that they have far better ability to hold an intendedfloat line than any fluted type float!
He assures me they have been patent protected.
Cant say I blame him.
They are also available in sets of five if anyone is interested, most normal sizes but no doubt specials if required.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I made a couple of shaped Avons about 5 years ago and whilst they aren't bad for holding back due to the streamlining (cross-section profile is like a teardrop) they tend to get a wobble whereas a round float doesn't. They don't cast as well either though at close range not a problem.

B

binka

I haven’t made any perch bobbers for what seems like ages but I’ve had one on the go for several weeks now, in between the other floats which I’ve made.

It’s been on the go for so long because, you name it, if it could go wrong it did!

First I had to shorten and re-taper the stem, the tip taper broke off at the point, then I didn’t like the initial whipping colour, I lost the body shape during hand sanding and had to get that back…

You get the picture, I very nearly trashed the whole thing.

Anyway, having been repeatedly chucked back on the pile I finally got it sorted…

2ev3x21.jpg

I used to think that whipping the black tip bands on was a laborious and unnecessary task but boy is it easier than trying to hand paint neat black bands, you can be as inaccurate under there as you like and no one would ever know :)

B

binka

I thought I would offer some feedback on the above product.

At first it seemed great, giving the desired finish but I then noticed what appeared to be brown patches on the dried paint of following floats.

Initially these brown patches dried away with time but it got worse and I then noticed that, after standing undisturbed for several days, the flouro orange began to separate with what looked like clear water settling on the top but it was obviously some chemical.

Anyway...

After shaking and mixing this clear liquid back in it didn't help and the brown patches kept on appearing which rendered the product useless.

I've been keeping it in a steady 20° room and when it then separated again I drained the clear fluid off and mixed the rest with a different but troublesome and thin flouro orange which I had previously given up on due to the amount of coats it took to cover, along with a smidge of white acrylic.

It seems to have done the trick, the brown patches have gone at the cost of a slightly lighter finish and whilst this float is far from finished I am confident that the orange will be good...

2144awg.jpg

I'll post up the finished float but it's just a heads up whilst I think about it, that you might have to cut the original product with something else if you encounter the same issues.

I don't know if I had a bad batch, I suspect not as it was initially good but something very chemical happened to it after being opened and stored in between uses for what I would estimate to be a week or so, so just be wary.

B

binka

Especially after the odd libation!!!:rolleyes:

I've just had to google that...

Yes, I thoroughly agree :)

Especially as the float pictured earlier seems to have disappeared without trace :confused:

I've few places left to look and I'm dreading the removal procedure if my current theory proves to be correct :eek: :D

mikench

Reaction score
I thought I would offer some feedback on the above product.

At first it seemed great, giving the desired finish but I then noticed what appeared to be brown patches on the dried paint of following floats.

Initially these brown patches dried away with time but it got worse and I then noticed that, after standing undisturbed for several days, the flouro orange began to separate with what looked like clear water settling on the top but it was obviously some chemical.

Anyway...

After shaking and mixing this clear liquid back in it didn't help and the brown patches kept on appearing which rendered the product useless.

I've been keeping it in a steady 20° room and when it then separated again I drained the clear fluid off and mixed the rest with a different but troublesome and thin flouro orange which I had previously given up on due to the amount of coats it took to cover, along with a smidge of white acrylic.

It seems to have done the trick, the brown patches have gone at the cost of a slightly lighter finish and whilst this float is far from finished I am confident that the orange will be good...

2144awg.jpg

I'll post up the finished float but it's just a heads up whilst I think about it, that you might have to cut the original product with something else if you encounter the same issues.

I don't know if I had a bad batch, I suspect not as it was initially good but something very chemical happened to it after being opened and stored in between uses for what I would estimate to be a week or so, so just be wary.

That is another cracking unhooking mat Steve! But then I wouldn't expect anything less from Ideal Homes fishing expert!:rolleyes:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
B

binka

I finally got the set of these finished and out on the riverbank the other weekend, I didn't get to christen them with a fish but at least I managed to get them wet at long last...

2rp8rok.jpg

2qnno1h.jpg

I've now gone and got myself bogged down doing yet another set... :doh:

:D