Float making.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: A Quartet Of " Pearlescent, Feather Inlay Balsa Floats "

This quartet of . . . .

" Pearlescent, Feather Inlay Balsa Floats "

have been a long time in the making.
I made them once and changed my mined about the whole set and started again. . . . .

For the rest if the write up and loads more pics hit the blog link above. ?

15mlkb9.jpg

I konw they are made to be used but they are things of beauty well done just wish i had the patience to do that

PG ...

B

binka

As well as his floats I've also been lusting after PP's very nice bobbin holder.

I don't think my homemade effort, comprising of some garden wire, a cotton wool bud tube and two strike indicators quite measures up...

2hzqy5w.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Thanks Seth.

I've hung back so far as most of the bobbins I use are the longer, thinner type and I wasn't sure if they would fit but at that price they're worth a punt :)

Mine are made to fit 34 mm width bobbins if that helps fellas ;)

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: New Chubber Float In Metallic Perlescent Blue.

I have been meaning to up date my chubber floats for quite some time now.

My first pattern was a more traditional looking float made from natural sourced materials and hand carved.

My new effort is made from balsa, birch and is hand turned on my lathe.

( A tool I am still very much a beginner on ).

Finished in metallic perlescent blue, a white shoulder and a fluorescent red/ pink tip.

The whippings on this particular float are gold, black, blue and violet.

For more pics and the full write up click on the blog link above.

1z53lgx.jpg

George387

Reaction score
first floats made for somebody else in over 12 months, these ones are in auction for a cancer charity which I support, probably the last ones I will make for other people except for charity donations.

floats1.jpg

floats2.jpg

B

binka

Keiths Fishing Tackle - Keiths Fishing Tackle
Found this site last night, might be of interest, might even have a go myself.
Float making would pass some time on till the weather improves.

I would heartily recommend him Seth, I've been using him for over a year now and he's 100% reliable.

You don't have to buy the pack quantities he lists in either, just drop him an email with your exact quantities and he'll split them down and charge you the equivalent per one price instead :)

The only thing to be wary of and he will point out the same, is the flat rate p&p cost which he has little if any control over so it's best/cheaper in the long run to plan and combine a decent order rather than keep paying the p&p for lots of bits 'n bobs.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

peterjg

Reaction score
I make a few floats from time to time and have been using Thompsons masonry sealant to seal balsa prior to painting. Can someone recommend a good alternative sealant for balsa please. Thanks in advance for your reply.

George387

Reaction score
I make a few floats from time to time and have been using Thompsons masonry sealant to seal balsa prior to painting. Can someone recommend a good alternative sealant for balsa please. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Peter,
I have never sealed balsa in all the years I've made floats. Once sanded & shaped and assembled with stem I simply undercoat my painted area with white emulsion, then I paint my colour on top, then seal everything with Morrells severe use waterbourne lacquer. never had any problems in all the years I've used it, Now most floatmakers I know are using it for their floats.

B

binka

Now most floatmakers I know are using it for their floats.

And...

Thanks to your endorsement it has revolutionised my own attempts.

Extremely quick drying and hardening, it also has a low odour and the previously mentioned qualities make the float workable in far less time than standard yacht varnish.

My used floats to date, using the Morrells, have stood up perfectly well.

Talking of the aforementioned mini-bobbers I've been working for several weeks now on a new mini-box which incorporates three sets of three floats and these comprise of a set of dedicated top 'n bottom floats in addition to a set of wagglers (which of course can also be used as a bottom only slider) and a set of top 'n bottom sliders.

This is one of 'em...

2ur193c.jpg

289afj7.jpg

They are snuggly housed in a purpose made mini oak float box and when the last two are completed I will post up the set.