Float making.

rayner

Reaction score
Some of the floats in the thread look way beyond a professional finish. The style looks good. I reckon they would do what they are required to do. It is not like they have strange shapes.
My floats are definitely scabby looking they do what I want.
PS I am going to nick your blob idea Mick for very shallow margin paste floats

flightliner

Reaction score
Some of the floats in the thread look way beyond a professional finish. The style looks good. I reckon they would do what they are required to do. It is not like they have strange shapes.
My floats are definitely scabby looking they do what I want.
PS I am going to nick your blob idea Mick for very shallow margin paste floats
Garry, as much as it would be nice to claim the "blobs" as being my idea they were in fact first used by my neighbour, a well known ex Sheffield match angler (possibly of your aquintance) who used them on the river Sheaf that runs thro a well known park in the citys western bounderies!
They are superb for use on the Don showing bites and, if encountering a big rock they simply go around it/bounce away and by bulking two number 6 shot a few inches from the hook to keep the bait down when the blob comes to rest behind a rock any Greyling resting there waiting for a tiny morsel of food coming to rest in the slack water is presented with it far better than any float imo!

rayner

Reaction score
Good idea, Mick. I fish a peg that is no more than 9" right up against the bank, the tighter the fish get to the bank less wary they seem.
I have tied freelining that sometimes works fine, a float so small would I'm sure be an improvement.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Garry, as much as it would be nice to claim the "blobs" as being my idea they were in fact first used by my neighbour, a well known ex Sheffield match angler (possibly of your aquintance) who used them on the river Sheaf that runs thro a well known park in the citys western bounderies!
They are superb for use on the Don showing bites and, if encountering a big rock they simply go around it/bounce away and by bulking two number 6 shot a few inches from the hook to keep the bait down when the blob comes to rest behind a rock any Greyling resting there waiting for a tiny morsel of food coming to rest in the slack water is presented with it far better than any float imo!
A tool for the job....superb...... ?

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

I decided to go right back to basics with this set of floats.

Believe it or not the avon is a float I hardly ever use, leaning towards stick float fishing instead......for lots more pics hit the blog link above. ?
20211204_120835.jpg
20211204_121120.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I may have a go at these, i love my grayling fishing

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

Staying with avon floats, here are 5 more light greys weighing in at 3.2 g/4AAA.....more pics on the blog.?
20211209_173059.jpg
20211209_173200.jpg
20211209_173202.jpg

20211209_173213.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

These are the same build as the previous balsa avons (4AAA + ) with hardwood stems but this pair exhibit a large amount of exposed balsa on the body and a small amount of paint....?

click the blog link for for pics and full write up ?

20211218_141858.jpg
20211218_141348.jpg
20211218_142125.jpg

peytr

Reaction score
Your level is beyond my aspirations but I wonder how you do the writing on the floats.

I recently tried a dip pen and indian ink and am at the point of laquering over that to waterproof but I'm not completely happy.

Best regards,

Peter

Last edited:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I will not tell anyone exactly how to do things.......Its all about the journey......and I'm still on it ?