Float making.

mikench

Reaction score
I will try a quiver rod. Stupidly thought it couldn't be done. The Avon I pick up Tuesday should be spot on for it too. That's it for me then. No more rods, not even as gifts! Enough!

When have i heard that before. You forgot the words “ until the next one” .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hague01

Reaction score
I do and without any issues. The Silverlite, Parabolix, PI Carbonactive and a Greys Torreón so far. I have also used it with a Tryptich but you wouldn’t expect any issues with that. Out of interest I tried the balsa one and a newish no 2 and the former is as light and much better than the latter and with much improved visibility. The latter may have been unused because the others were not very good imo. They performed perfectly yesterday with my 10’ bomb rod and gentle lobs of about 25 yards or so. For telling you where your feeder is for firing in pellets, gb or maggots there is nothing else and I know one patch of water looks very much like another

When have i heard that before. You forgot the words “ until the next one” .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. I promise!

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I have made some more of these today with shorter stems and red bodies.
I used shorter stems on these for fishing in the shallows tight to the pads. More pics on the blog.
20220723_094635.jpg
20220723_094610.jpg
20220723_094616.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
This weeks offerings are "Small, Fat Tipped, Avons" 11 centimeters long.
for fishing shallow runs.....very usefull with the weather we are having the last couple of years.....for more pics and full write up click on the blog link above.😁👍

20220807_093159.jpg
20220807_094954.jpg

Ged28

Reaction score
This weeks offerings are "Small, Fat Tipped, Avons" 11 centimeters long.
for fishing shallow runs.....very usefull with the weather we are having the last couple of years.....for more pics and full write up click on the blog link above.😁👍

View attachment 22569View attachment 22571
I like the look of them!
One thing you might want to try for fishing shallow with top and bottom floats is to make a domed top and drill a fine hole in the centre, and glue in a small loop of mono. Still use the normal float rubbers to hold it in place, but with the line coming off the top centrally makes them a lot less prone to tangles where the hook length whips round over the float.

hague01

Reaction score
You really do make some lovely looking floats . . . . .
the ones he made for me are quite beautiful, in fact far too good to spoil by use so I intend to make a display case for those and other varieties of the same principal, during the winter. Mind you, don't tell him but I have used all 3 as I could not resist it., ha!

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
After thirty minutes the rod was nearly ripped out of my hands as a massive trout hit my maggots......
Read the rest on the blog. 😉
20220820_194324.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Has everyone stopped making floats in the summer?
It seems like im the only one posting!
Here's my selection that I use from time to time, sorry they're a little mixed up.
Some I've made myself, others are mostly mass produced copies of what were often used by well known Trent anglers in years gone by.
In between there are some interesting triangular types made by a "thinking" Derbyshire angler. Some years ago I gave several to members of this forum to try for themselves.
Picture to follow😩.

flightliner

Reaction score
At the moment I'm looking at how to improve the old fluted floats, it's a work in progress at the moment as I never did think they were any better than what was around at the time they were introduced.I'm bandying around with a few ideas at the moment and feel confident of a successful outcome subject to a trial period.
Keep looking in!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
At the moment I'm looking at how to improve the old fluted floats, it's a work in progress at the moment as I never did think they were any better than what was around at the time they were introduced.I'm bandying around with a few ideas at the moment and feel confident of a successful outcome subject to a trial period.
Keep looking in!
Living in that part of the country where Avon type floats reign supreme there's never been a practical case made for using fluted floats. Hold one back and they lay flat! They were a 60s fad and design failure. Topper Haskins got his Toppers to go through against an upsytream wind by using a big bulk that was in the main current 2ft off the bottome, not at the surface which was often stationary on the Bristol Avon in an upstreamer.

peterjg

Reaction score
This fishing lark is so full of differering opinions, many of which are not necessarily right or wrong. Mark Wintle is right in that if you hold a fluted float back hard it will tend to rise and can lay flat - especially a light fluted float. However; they do have some advantages: a correctly shotted fluted (or vaned) float is not pulled off course when mending the line - as Richard Walker said they grip the water. Also they are useful with centrepin reels in that they can help the spool to turn in lighter flows. I make mine from balsa and make four vanes from ice cream containers, use a Stanley knife and Araldite them in. Don't discount them, they do have their uses.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Morning all,
I have managed to finish these wagglers this morning.
The lollipop style float is mine for a local lake I fish for tench and mixed species, the other eight floats are for someone else.
20220828_084431.jpg
20220828_084315.jpg
20220828_084220.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
This fishing lark is so full of differering opinions, many of which are not necessarily right or wrong. Mark Wintle is right in that if you hold a fluted float back hard it will tend to rise and can lay flat - especially a light fluted float. However; they do have some advantages: a correctly shotted fluted (or vaned) float is not pulled off course when mending the line - as Richard Walker said they grip the water. Also they are useful with centrepin reels in that they can help the spool to turn in lighter flows. I make mine from balsa and make four vanes from ice cream containers, use a Stanley knife and Araldite them in. Don't discount them, they do have their uses.
If you're mending line fishing an Avon you need an awful lot more practice in fishing one! Richard Walker may have been one of the most influental anglers around but great float angler he wasn't and he was the first to admit it when he spent time with people like Billy Lane and Ivan Marks. If a light Avon without vanes won't make a 'pin turn then I'd suggest a stick float with an open-face fixed-spool reel a better solution.