Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  633
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Float making.

Default Re: Float making.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Yesterday I finished making a homemade mini lathe for making floats. I got the inspiration from one of Bracket's recent posts! In all it cost nothing, I mounted an old electric drill on a heavy sturdy base and used two runners made from an old metal curtain rail to put the tailstock on. All very "Heath Robinson" but it works! My floats will never be works of art but I am sure they will do the intended job.
    Peterjg. Like to see a photo of the finish article Peter. Pete.
    Casternets

Here's a deal if anyone of you clever blokes are interested. I have 3 big swan feathers, 17inches long approx. Anyone wants them I will post them to you and in return send me back one decent float. I will never do it as well as you guys so just the thought came to me. You will get at least two big floats and maybe two or three smaller ones. If you are making them as a job lot shouldn't be too much extra work but maybe it would be; I wouldnt know for sure but I imagine not. Anyway, the offers there.
    I will take care of postage my end and sending one back will probably fit into a A4 envelope and be light as a feather (my wit knows no bounds so wouldnt cost more than a second class stamp to send back probably.
    Last edited by markg; 13-10-2019 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I've had my first disaster, decided to use some neon paint the kids had, despite knowing it wouldn't work!
    The paint didn't take on some parts, the bits it did, now look like they've been dipped in candy floss.
    It's about as neon as coal dust. The fine sandpaper will be out again tomorrow.
    I reckon you've made a cracking job so far and I sympathise with your plight!

If it's any consolation I find neons notoriously thin on coverage and I’m often into double figures on the amount of coats it takes to get some opacity but they’re worth persevering with, not such a chore either with fast drying acrylics where you can get lots of coats on in a relatively short space of time.

If there’s one piece of advice I could offer it would be to not be put off after the first two or three coats as they often look awful at this stage so just keep going until you get opacity, then sand very lightly with a very fine paper and apply a couple of finishing coats… I find if I add a coat of varnish (Morrell’s) in between the final coat of paint drying and it actually hardening off it seems to ‘melt’ the acrylic paint into a very smooth finish…

fallout 3 vault list

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Here's a deal if anyone of you clever blokes are interested. I have 3 big swan feathers, 17inches long approx. Anyone wants them I will post them to you and in return send me back one decent float. I will never do it as well as you guys so just the thought came to me. You will get at least two big floats and maybe two or three smaller ones. If you are making them as a job lot shouldn't be too much extra work but maybe it would be; I wouldnt know for sure but I imagine not. Anyway, the offers there.
    I will take care of postage my end and sending one back will probably fit into a A4 envelope and be light as a feather (my wit knows no bounds so wouldnt cost more than a second class stamp to send back probably.
    I’m not biting on your kind offer but have a go, swan quills make great floats for large waters and go well alongside their goose quill counterparts as part of a set…

upload facebook picture

Bracket, re your post - I am useless with computers and have only just bought my first smart phone. When/if I figure out how to put a photo onto this forum I will try. The mini lathe I made is the same in principle as your idea.

I am also hopeless with smart phones - I was quite happy with two empty tins on a piece of string!

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Bracket, re your post - I am useless with computers and have only just bought my first smart phone. When/if I figure out how to put a photo onto this forum I will try. The mini lathe I made is the same in principle as your idea.

I am also hopeless with smart phones - I was quite happy with two empty tins on a piece of string!
    I know what you mean. I was 50 when I first used a PC. Fortunately it was a work requirement so I received some basic training. That gave me the confidence to piggle about and find my way around the more straight forward things. Sure you will get there. I will wait on the photos and then perhaps we both will have learnt something new. Pete.
    Casternets

Blog Entries

I agree about nottskev's floats, they look great and are designed for very specific reasons, very impressive.
    I've had my first disaster, decided to use some neon paint the kids had, despite knowing it wouldn't work!
    The paint didn't take on some parts, the bits it did, now look like they've been dipped in candy floss.
    Attachment 7734
    They are what’s called ‘Shabby chic’ in today’s world.
    Nothing wrong in that, as long as they are water proof and you can see the tips clearly

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 13-10-2019 at 19:19.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

Today's weather put paid to the fishing trip I had planned with 4 little kids.....phew! Gave me a chance to rescue my "shabby chic" floats. A trip to the craft shop for a couple of tins of trusty Humbrol, and stupidly after taking two of above mentioned kids with me, a paint by numbers pug picture and enough glitter & glue to create something that could be seen from space.
    I'm quite happy with how they have turned out, will need a couple of coats of varnish and can soon test one out.
    I'm sure some people will be envious of my state of the art drying rack!

Float making.-20191013_201154-800x559.jpg

I'm sure some people will be envious of my state of the art drying rack!

Float making.-20191013_201154-800x559.jpg
    Do I detect a hint of subliminal advertising here? Pete
    Casternets

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Do I detect a hint of subliminal advertising here? Pete
    You got me....I'm a cereal offender.

Blog Entries

I agree about nottskev's floats, they look great and are designed for very specific reasons, very impressive.
    Attachment 7734
    The ones in the picture look a little gay for my liking.
    I never use paint on my dodgers, just a couple of coats of hard as nails, black the tip off with marker pen.
    Peacock and sikanda reed don't need sanding either.
    Suits my bone idle persona.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast