Float making.

Aknib

Reaction score
And here are those cane stemmed sticks on their way to completion...

20230205_162442.jpg

Nottinghamshire cane stemmed sticks?

I highly doubt it, someone must have tried it already but, as mentioned in an earlier post, i'm convinced the stem has a bearing over control whilst allowing more shot down the line.

I did whip the stems, something I said I wouldn't do after the first ever set of Avons I whipped but i've since learned, in respect of sliding float rubbers and that all important depth setting, that what doesn't easily go up doesn't easily come down either.

I will just enjoy their completion and the fish that they will catch, finished versions to come in due course.

flightliner

Reaction score
I knocked these Tench floats up sometime in the eighties, ok for the lift float method or long range with the addition of lead wire or shot on either side of it.
Note the position of the bottom eye as its important that the sight piece sits facing the angler, if it is'nt placed correctly the float will be seen at the wrong angle.

Attachments

• IMG_20230206_110737.jpg
    IMG_20230206_110737.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Br
I knocked these Tench floats up sometime in the eighties, ok for the lift float method or long range with the addition of lead wire or shot on either side of it.
Note the position of the bottom eye as its important that the sight piece sits facing the angler, if it is'nt placed correctly the float will be seen at the wrong angle.
BriIlliant! :)

Lollipop floats for tench 👍

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Thanks Aknib.....but "Master" ....I'm really not sure about that!!!!!

I take things a lot slower than a lot of other makers.....taking my time, really trying to perfet the pattern that Im currently fidding with.

I tend to make floats I will use my self, so things like pike floats are not high on my agenda as I don't like fish very often.

There are LOADS of differnt versions / patterns that I havent even tried yet....lots of traditional materials to try so " Master" !!!! I think not but I do apperciate the comment pal. 😊

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Still, a fish of a liftime for me and one off the bucket list !!!!!!!!
Here you go....
8lb of pure muscle.
"Wild River Irwell Brown Trout"
20230212_133321.jpg

Click the link to read the bog, all the pics and the video.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I have made these for fishing spate rivers along the shallow gravel runs, but any shallow medium paced river with not too much depth and these floats should do nicely.....for more pics and the full blog click the link above.
20230215_211428.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
My next floats are an another avon offering, this time in patrioic red, white and blue.
Click the link for all the pics😁😁
20230219_141501.jpg
20230217_213708.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
A new paint job on the....
Small Alloy Stem Avons this week.I recently found a couple of cans of paint in the lock up which have been discontinued.
Both are colours I really like......
Gothic metallic burgandy and purple......click the link for more pics and the rest of the write up. 😁

20230304_093051.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Just finished this week a set of six charcoal, thin tipped, alloy stem avons.
Three 3-4g.
Three 1.0g
Click the link for more pics. 😊
20230311_125540.jpg
20230311_121658.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
The chuber is s float I have hardly used in the past as i prefer silver fishing with a stick float or avon but if you are a specimen angler its a great float to suspend big baits in fast water.
Here is a set of 5 coming in at appromiately 6 swan or 9.6g.
I hope you like them.
Clic the link for all the pics. 😊
20230311_154300.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
A mate of mine has asked for a couple of bodied wagglers for a still water mission he is currently preparing for and one I will be tagging along on.
Read the rest on the blog 😊.
20230410_122446.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
These Driftbeater floats have been on my to do list for years but I have never found the time to make them until now.I finally sourced the parts ..........click the link above for all the pics and the full blog...😊
20230506_172040.jpg
20230506_172948.jpg

Aknib

Reaction score
Wow...

Fabulous.

And I think we went down the same route PP, these are mine which I made as part of one of my treasured 'collections' I made a few years ago and just look at the startling resemblances in the tip choice and band pattern at the top of the stems.

I used carbon stems for mine but can't for the life of me remember why, I'm thinking I went down the lower diameter route to attract less drag in those windy conditions?

Either way a big thanks for posting those as I think i've just enjoyed a spiritual float making experience!

Following these I then embarked and completed a full black tipped collection...

DB1.jpg
DB2.jpg
DB3.jpg
DB4.jpg
DB5.jpg

All of the black tipped floats are generally larger for waters where typically there's no reflection and the tips are painted and sealed with matt so as to appear as bold as possible as opposed to the remainder of the floats which are gloss.

I do recall making the stems very long so as to sit the body of the float well below the surface drift and it looks as though you've done the same.

I've still not finished those cane sticks but they've had oodles of varnish and just need the tip colours adding, watch this space :cool:

Last edited:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Wow...

Fabulous.

And I think we went down the same route PP, these are mine which I made as part of one of my treasured 'collections' I made a few years ago and just look at the startling resemblances in the tip choice and band pattern at the top of the stems.

I used carbon stems for mine but can't for the life of me remember why, I'm thinking I went down the lower diameter route to attract less drag in those windy conditions?

Either way a big thanks for posting those as I think i've just enjoyed a spiritual float making experience!

Following these I then embarked and completed a full black tipped collection...

View attachment 26868View attachment 26869View attachment 26870View attachment 26871View attachment 26872

All of the black tipped floats are generally larger for waters where typically there's no reflection and the tips are painted and sealed with matt so as to appear as bold as possible as opposed to the remainder of the floats which are gloss.

I do recall making the stems very long so as to sit the body of the float well below the surface drift and it looks as though you've done the same.

I've still not finished those cane sticks but they've had oodles of varnish and just need the tip colours adding, watch this space :cool:
They look the dogs m8.
A lovely set of floats.

Getting under that drift is key on some waters.
Another option is loaded versions purely for accuracy.

Last edited:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
10g Balsa Chubbers for chub barbel & trout.
#chubfishing #barbelfishing #barbel #floatfishing #traditionalfloats #fishinguk #fishing #troutfishing

Attachments

• 20230722_171312.jpg
    20230722_171312.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230722_171323.jpg
    20230722_171323.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 21

Aknib

Reaction score
Finally....

After many months of laying dormant those cane stemmed sticks are actually finished!

fl2.JPG

fl1.jpg

These are to accompany the wire stemmed versions I made some time ago, I have whipped the stems as the thread tends to 'grip' the float rubbers and stops them from sliding...

fl3.jpg

Almost there on the never ending quest now, a handful of bodied goose quill wagglers to make and that's me done on what I wanted for a homemade core collection of floats approaching the two hundred mark in number...

fl5.jpg

Must say i'm really getting on well with that Screwfix yacht varnish, it gives a great finish and unlike some yacht varnishes i've used it's workable in under a day to lightly sand and re-coat before quickly hardening off again.

I still prefer the Morrells in terms of it's quick drying and water based friendliness when it comes to cleaning brushes but I ain't running to around sixty quid because of the volume I now have to buy.