Float making.

Aknib

Reaction score
Thanks gents :)

As it happens Mike Er Indoors is just on her way over as I let slip i'm lighting the bbq shortly, and there was me thinking it could well be the prefect afternoon!

It could work out alright though, it does need a good dusting down in that room! :ROFLMAO:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Finally....

After many months of laying dormant those cane stemmed sticks are actually finished!

View attachment 27656

View attachment 27657

These are to accompany the wire stemmed versions I made some time ago, I have whipped the stems as the thread tends to 'grip' the float rubbers and stops them from sliding...

View attachment 27658

Almost there on the never ending quest now, a handful of bodied goose quill wagglers to make and that's me done on what I wanted for a homemade core collection of floats approaching the two hundred mark in number...

View attachment 27659

Must say i'm really getting on well with that Screwfix yacht varnish, it gives a great finish and unlike some yacht varnishes i've used it's workable in under a day to lightly sand and re-coat before quickly hardening off again.

I still prefer the Morrells in terms of it's quick drying and water based friendliness when it comes to cleaning brushes but I ain't running to around sixty quid because of the volume I now have to buy.
Looking good pal.😉

Philip

Reaction score
Almost there on the never ending quest now, a handful of bodied goose quill wagglers to make and that's me done on what I wanted for a homemade core collection of floats approaching the two hundred mark in number...

Fabulous display but hang on one darn second !!!!! …what the heck is THAT I see ? !!!!!! Closet carp lover ! …your busted pal !:p;):)

1692786971071.png

Aknib

Reaction score
What is it about displays of floats that they seem to be a dust magnet?

By comparison to Steve’s mine are very few but still attract a massive amount of dust.

I must admit I need to get in there and have a damned good dust around Peter, mine are no different when it comes to dust the odd thing is I kind of like it... It adds to the earthy angling aura! :cool:

Aknib

Reaction score
A very special float, no explanation needed...

Bobber 1.JPG

Finished to three colours plus a fourth of whipping, whipped to six bands in the 'proper' whip, loop and pull way with not a blob of glue to contaminate it and it's about on the upper limit of my capabilities but i'm very pleased with it.

It's not quite finished, another light sanding and coat of varnish to everything above the middle stem band and then four to match it below the middle stem band once the upper has fully hardened off.

The plinth is on order so hopefully i'll receive that soon and I anticipate it being complete in a couple of weeks or so, you won't see it again until Peter, who as you know is kindly running the Challenge in Simon's memory, posts the finished article in the thread.

Get them lobworms ready!

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
A set of very versatile, 4BB plus, Inserted, Sarkanda Wagglers.
For all the pics and full write up click the blog link above. 😁
20230923_125707.jpg
20230923_131855.jpg

Last edited:

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
I was recently asked to make a set of 20 no 4 (4 g) Shouldered Alloy Stick Floats for a trip on the River Itchen in the coming weeks.

The floats are to be used for long trotting fishing six feet plus on some runs. . .
20231017_215033.jpg
20231017_215046.jpg

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
Out of all the fishing floats I have seen the flutted floats ,to me, can be the most decorative and I have waited a long time to attempt this pattern so I can hopefully do it justice. Click the link for all the pics and full write up. 😊
Has anyone else made futted floats?
I would like a little advice as this is my first one.
20231027_132157.jpg
20231027_132551.jpg

peterjg

Reaction score
Hang on a minute chaps! Am I missing something here? All those floats are without doubt beautiful, superbly crafted but my own rough, quickly made floats work just as well without nearly as much effort (or skill) needed and if I lose one it doesn't matter, I can very quickly knock up a replacement - so why bother - the fish don't care?

By the way, those fluted floats (despite what some say) will work really well!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Hang on a minute chaps! Am I missing something here? All those floats are without doubt beautiful, superbly crafted but my own rough, quickly made floats work just as well without nearly as much effort (or skill) needed and if I lose one it doesn't matter, I can very quickly knock up a replacement - so why bother - the fish don't care?

By the way, those fluted floats (despite what some say) will work really well!
As Ivan Marks once said, "When the fish start eating my floats I'll make 'em look better." But floats are made to catch anglers....

The idea of a fluted float is fatally flawed: you want the current to glide around a float not push it along, otherwise you can't hold it back. I fish enough of the Avon/Stour/Frome to say that I've never seen anyone using a fluted float. If, a big IF, they were any good then we'd all be using them. The single time I witnessed the use of a fluted float was in 1970 on the Thames.