Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  633
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445

Thread: Float making.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Float making.

Sorry, tried to delete duplicate post.
    Last edited by d.owens; 26-10-2019 at 20:49.

Quote Originally Posted by d.owens View Post
    I really like the long tips and colour, I do a lot of worm fishing which often requires a longer tip so I tend to make all my floats that way and just dot them down when I'm using smaller baits... It's often been a bug bare of mine with commercially produced floats.

I like the old Harcork principle and how they made floats to cover a much wider range of situations with what at first sight appear to be ridiculously long, extended tip colours but I can see the logic in it especially back in the days when folk generally didn't tend to spend the amounts of money that we see being thrown at fishing today.

Good for the lift method, too.

You'll find reed to be a really nice, sensitive material being denser than peacock quill and they look perfect for what you have in mind... Cane also makes a very sensitive tip material for when you're really up against it in the depths of winter.

Keep up the good work, a nice balance between functionality and going over the top with things and they're pretty much everything a float should be in my eyes.

Very nice indeed.

Praise indeed from a master.

Blog Entries

Thank you Aknib, I don't have the patience or skill to produce anything to the standard you achieve. Very impressive and really inspired me to get cracking myself.
    I've taken a couple of things from this thread: nottskev making floats for a very specific purpose, and markg's approach using natural materials or things that would otherwise be going to landfill.
    Producing something unique and useful really appeals to me, and provides an antidote to the throwaway culture that increasingly depresses me.
    What a great thread!

Could anyone recommend a decent varnish . I use satin clear exterior varnish at the moment but would like to know what else others use.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Sally Hansens Hard As Nails is my choice.
    It's a clear nail varnish, costs about 4 quid, is better than any other varnish I have tried.
    Sounds strange, but give it a go mate.

Anyone who thinks that reed or cane is more sensitive than peacock quill needs lessons in Archimedes principle. Only the volume displaced matters so if you want a more sensitive tip for a float decrease the volume of the tip either make it thinner or design it in such a way that it's visible with little volume eg a dart flight type design or hollow tip with hole at both ends.

I'm gradually swiching my wagglers to using hollow preformed pole float tips as they don't need painting and are far easier to see than painted solid tips.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I'm gradually swiching my wagglers to using hollow preformed pole float tips as they don't need painting and are far easier to see than painted solid tips.
    I've thought of using them, Mark. Ebay listing have them, if they're the same as you use, up to 3mm.

Just got into making some Spezi Wagglers for trotting meat, have to wait until the river calms down though, not ideal at the moment...

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

That's the ones I use, Jeff, up to 3mm. Some 4mm or 5mm would be useful. I've used them as supplied and also cut the top off 3mm ones with a side hole lower down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    Anyone who thinks that reed or cane is more sensitive than peacock quill needs lessons in Archimedes principle.
    Or simply appreciates that a denser material such as reed or cane will offer less buoyancy than a less dense material... Such as peacock quill.

Less density = more air, more density = less air.

You stick to your Archimedes principle, I'm happy enough with mine.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445