Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  944
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Float making.

Default Re: Float making.

This is not my usual kind of thing as I've never been particularly keen on porcupine quill, it is a commission made on behalf of someone who supplied the quill and gave me a free hand to do as I wish with it.

No money changed hands but I am the better off for several excellent books including A Passion for Angling

The body colour paint is matched to the natural ivory colour on the quill but I didn't want to paint the quill itself as it would erode its provenance and the tip colour is his favourite.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with the composition which allowed a thin cane stem to be spliced in to mount and whip the eye onto and knowing that the person in question likes his Tench fishing I went along these lines...

image hosting cdn

picture upload sites

I've gone from a dislike of porcupine quill to rather fancying knocking a set up for myself... I just hope he likes it lol!

What’s not to like, they’re stunning Steve!

What paint do you use?

Thanks John... I just use the acrylic artist paints which I can buy for around £1.29 a bottle and they last for ages, in fact I don't think I've ever managed to get to the bottom of a bottle.

They dry really quickly and sand nicely too...

I have got some costly neons which are very good but they take so many coats to reach a good opacity and i'll use the above by preferance whenever I can get away with it.

It's just occurred to me what that colour scheme reminds me of...

Lovely work Steve; as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepeanut007 View Post
    PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: HAND CRAFTED FLOATS 2014 - 2016 - Float making By The Peanut.

Here are a pair of . . . .

" Feather Inlay Perch Bobbers "

In my own colours.

I hope you like them.

]
    First time I’ve read your blog. The handmade floats are obviously made with passion and ‘works of art’ in themselves. Lovely to see such care and detail incorporated into producing items that stand the pace of time.
    Best of luck with future projects, keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiful floats, quite brilliant! Congrats

I'm on another float making mission, all very rough and ready, but I enjoy it.
    Have been using reed from a broken garden screen as waggler bodies and inserts from scewers. I also found a sealed packet of mouth swabs that I had for my poor old mum from when she was dying in hospital, we used them to give her tiny amounts of water. I got a bit emotional when I found them, but thought I would like to do something useful with them. The thin plastic tubes have made great insert tips, the ends melted on the cooker and sealed. Mum was a great "make do and mender" I know she would appreciate it!
    Attachment 8194
    What have I learned today? 1. Trimmed drinking straws make great gaskets to fit slightly too thin inserts into float bodies. 2. You can make a perfectly usable whipping thread tool from manky old wire, a small cotton reel and a bit of drinking straw.
    Attachment 8195
    It's a bit like the Blue Peter TV studio in our house every time my wife leaves me on my own!
    Last edited by d.owens; 06-02-2020 at 11:53.

I wonder if this may be of interest to you float makers. Just bought a mini lathe for just under £25 delivered, not exactly a precision piece of equipment but I’m sure will come in handy for bits and bobs.

That's a bargain and I would love one. Unfortunately, once I've factored in the expense of the divorce after I unveiled it, it's not really worth it.

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast