Help identifying John Wilson episode

fatfewl

Reaction score
Hi,

I was after some help trying to identify what I think was a Go Fishing episode I remember watching from years back. It was John Wilson and he was float fishing (trotting) for Barbel. Crystal clear water. I think the episode started where he was fishing from a punt but again this was well over 10 years ago now.

I know that's not much to go on but my own research has failed me at this point.

Thanks in advance.

ken more

Reaction score
Hi,

I was after some help trying to identify what I think was a Go Fishing episode I remember watching from years back. It was John Wilson and he was float fishing (trotting) for Barbel. Crystal clear water. I think the episode started where he was fishing from a punt but again this was well over 10 years ago now.

I know that's not much to go on but my own research has failed me at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Its probably the one where he starts giggling at anything that happens, but unfortunately i can't remember the episode:D Apologies for being an @rse but he did irritate me:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Long story Skip, some that fished the Wensum years ago would know what I mean.

Thanks for the pm, Graham. Now I get it.

But by way of a bonus I've just had an hour listening to some old soul tracks from my youth prompted by the Wilson Pickett reference. Fantastic......I thank you for that too. Much better than Wislon anyway.

fatfewl

Reaction score

Thanks for your efforts but unfortunately not the ones. I don't think it is on youtube unless it is poorly labelled. The problem is I cannot remember much details, and what I do remember might actually be some several different episodes which I have merged in my head.

Wilson does annoy me a bit too. I also get the feeling he can be a right nasty s**t off camera (grumpy). But that's just my speculation. One thing I will say is I find his programs very interesting and the man has done a great deal for angling. Apart from Passion for Angling I have not found better.

In fact he played a significant role in getting me into fishing. I watched his stuff when I was about 10 years old and, coming form a non-angling family, this was one of the main catalysts for me. I am 24 now and have enjoyed re-watching a lot of the stuff that's been uploaded to youtube. Sadly most is missing. I would gladly buy them but it seems only a selection is readily available.

Thanks all.

steve2

Reaction score
Didn't he do an episode fishing from a punt at the Bridge Pool on the Hampshire Avon. I remember seeing a video of someone but it might not be him.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Didn't he do an episode fishing from a punt at the Bridge Pool on the Hampshire Avon. I remember seeing a video of someone but it might not be him.

Martin Bowler did. Wislon might have done so too but I distinctly remember Bowler dace bashing & catching perch. On lobworms which I thought were not allowed but I may be wrong.

I've fished the BP a few times. Good fun but way too much money now IMO.

fatfewl

Reaction score
Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Theres one where he fishes the Top Weir Compound on the Royalty Fishery, wading out and catching dace, chub and then reasonable barbel to about 4Ib or so on the float - using something like 3Ib line that was fashionable in the 80s (only people using line over about 6Ib were numpties then, especially on a float - but then there were a lot of smaller chub and barbel in those days).

I am a fan of the early JW videos, in the 80s and early 90s when he still focussed on British venues and Norfolk in particular. I liked the way he devoted time to the natural history of the waters and local history too. He started to lose me when he started going abroad catching silly great fish and his character also seemed to change as he became more of a celebrity, but I still miss him and his shop in Norwich which i pass on occasions. He is the spirit of Norfolk fishing in my view with his historic videos and updated well researched where to fish guide which must be the most comprehensive of its type in Britain (even if some info is out of date)

As late as the 1990s it was still a gentler and more understated time when fishing TV didnt have to be in your face with chav presenters screaming and barking cliches at the viewer or celebrities catching 400Ib Amazonian pipefish or whatever which are so macho to catch that you need six muscle-bound real blokes to lift them out of the water. All pathetic and unwatchable in my view.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I can't imagine JW trotting for barbel in crystal clear waters.
I suspect he happened to catch one whilst trying to catch something else and they decided to stick the catch in the programme for entertainment purposes.

rubio

Reaction score
I've got a vague recollection- Wilson wading around and falling over in the bankside reeds, then chuckling interminably like Wilson at his best, or worst depending on how you take to him. Couple of Perch swimming round his feet. Maybe a downstream patch of bullrushes.
Nothing certain and certainly no episode title, but I think it was on Wensum.

fatfewl

Reaction score
I've got a vague recollection- Wilson wading around and falling over in the bankside reeds, then chuckling interminably like Wilson at his best, or worst depending on how you take to him. Couple of Perch swimming round his feet. Maybe a downstream patch of bullrushes.
Nothing certain and certainly no episode title, but I think it was on Wensum.

I know that episode but that's not the one. In the one you mention it ends I think with him sight fishing for some big perch while wading. As you say they are swimming around his feet.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The one with the rushes and Perch was on the Upper Great Ouse, he seemed to bag up on everything from that swim having watched many barbel with his polaroids earlier on. That dates it! Pre otter days.

macko

Reaction score
In fact, in that swim he trotted for barbel with a hair rigged boilie and caught one, but it weren't shown on that programme.

ATB Macko

dicky123

Reaction score
Spot on Steve 2. It was the Avon and the place you mentioned, well done Ironside!!:D

merleyred

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Yes, JW certainly fished the Bridge Pool during one episode of Go Fishing although I cannot recall if this was the same programme which featured Barbel fishing on the float. However, this does ring a bell with me. My recollection is of him fishing the Kennet(??) for Barbel on the float. He was on a bend in the river fairly close to a road, but I do not recall it being 'crystal clear' water.

benny samways

Reaction score
I know the episode. He is trotting for dace out of a punt, but he wants a sea trout. Then he is fishing the Ouse for barbel.

When Wilson fished the great ouse that day he managed to get about 3 programmes out of it, hence why everyone has slighly blurred memories of what seemed like the same session but on different programmes.

I know this because he fished one of my club waters but he didnt have the permission, the cheeky git still put it out on tele.

Summer Stalking on rivers, is not the episode your after, but was on the same ouse venue. He is wading in the river catches barbel and perch (that rubio reffered to).