RFODAC Wye section

sagalout

Reaction score
Since there are a few people interested and so as not to totally hijack the barbel fishing thread I thought I'd start a new one to report on what I have found out so far.

I have just been for a look see. First rule of visiting an unknown site, don't wash the car first, the tracks to the car parks are 6 inches deep in mud, but it is a working farm.

The stretch is just over half a mile long and has about 10 pegs.

Vehicle access to the river is very good, three of four of the pegs you can drop your kit at peg and then put the car in the car park. The other half dozen pegs you park about 100 yards from the river.

The banks are steep and currently 20-30 feet above the water. The pegs could do with a bit of maintenance but it's winter and the river has been known to flow quite well.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Crikey il need a longer landing net handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes. Washing the car first. Done it.

Through a farm to another stretch.
£7 of hp spray to clean!

Thanks for the heads up Sags.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Where is this section? Upper Hill Court? I thought it had been taken over by a syndicate?

Sorry just read through the other bit in the barbel thread, so this is the old Upper Hill Court on the fruit farm between Kerne Bridge and Ross on Wye...

I fished it once but the river had flooded and I never really got to grips with it. That said, I did have a few chub out on meat, and got pestered by some eels. It looked to have some potential for barbel - but I never gave it enough time to really suss it out.

£30 a year is most definitely good value!!

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Yeah I believe so, I was told by the club chairman that they used to lease but lost it and have now got it back and yes you access the river via the farm, E C Drummonds.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
With a bank so high or should I say cliff are you able to get down to the water easy ? If fishing on own just thinking if hook into a barbel trying to net it and release it .

sagalout

Reaction score
Sorry Matt I seem to confused/mislead you, what I meant was there is a steep 20/30 foot drop/climb/muddy path to the waters edge where there are level'ish areas to fish from. I have got Banksy to do you a diagram.

\
*\ Steep bank
**\
***\
****-- Little bit of level'ish bank (maybe)
******\--W-A-T-E-R---------

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thank you , but what's the bank like getting down and up with all kit ?

Been there before on a sloppy clay bank and couldn't get up ended up using banksticks to jab in and pull myself up like when rock climbing ;)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I generally carry a length of rope with me when I'm fishing on rivers like that. Attach it to a tree and then use it to assist me getting down.

I know some use a dog spike or strong bankstick at the top.

Worth thinking about what you're taking with you as well. Maybe some of it can be left at the top of the bank (providing it won't get nicked!)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Fishing rucksack chair , 1 rod set up and net with handle and banksticks that's all take all bait fits in bag

sagalout

Reaction score
As I said the "swims" need a bit of maintenance but essentially there is a post driven in at the top of the bank with a rope or not in several cases. I think Jim's idea of carrying a rope is an excellent one. I wouldn't think there will be any great problem getting the kit down if you just have a rucksack and rod. I will use a rucksack with me chair tied to it and a rod quiver for the rod, landing net handle, and bank stick. I might not even bother with a chair, just a cushion, dunno yet.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I normally use a unhooking mat to sit on but depending how much you move about . Got a korum chair but it's too heavy for roving

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's the fear I have and I mainly fish on my own friends and my dad don't seem to want to travel for decent fishing

---------- Post added at 05:25 ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 ----------

What's the Avon like for barbel ?

sagalout

Reaction score
Stuff that ! Getting down might be OK but not getting back up. What is it with the Wye....is it like this everywhere ?
For £30 a year, probably!

The Hope and Anchor in Ross does day tickets for a fiver and the access is very easy.

Hereford has swims all along the tennis courts, again easy access.

What about Geoff Maynard's place?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I need to do a bit more research. £30 a year is OK if you live on the water cos if its too lively you can go home & come back another day. Long old drive for me to find the end of the rope is 2 foot under water ! There is neither monkey nor mountain goat in my DNA.

sagalout

Reaction score
I need to do a bit more research. £30 a year is OK if you live on the water cos if its too lively you can go home & come back another day. Long old drive for me to find the end of the rope is 2 foot under water ! There is neither monkey nor mountain goat in my DNA.
Ain't that true for any river fishing? Even if a swim is easy access it could be under water when you arrive. The section at Kerne Bridge is easy access but £23 a day The Wye and Usk Foundation - Kerne Bridge