Musings on float rods

edsurf

Reaction score
I use a 13 foot and 15 foot rod for trotting ,I do not think someones opinion on a forum is going to change any ones mind about what rod to part cash with.unless they are a total beginner. I believe its getting the right rod for the specific rivers we fish , and we all fish different rivers. and sometimes I trot with an 11 foot cane rod and old centre pin reel , just for the fun of it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good thread and nice write up at the start. I can’t get excited about rods. I’d like to but I can’t.

My fishing took a big step forward the day I stopped looking at what was written on the label of a rod and started looking AT the rod itself. I ask myself is it suited to the type of fishing I am doing ? Do I need a long rod ? or a short one ? through action ? or fast ? etc etc .
Once you do that you can find some amazing rods at discount prices that do the precise job that you want rather than buying a rod with say “Floodwater Barbel” written on it because someone else has decided that’s what it should be used for.

I'm not interested in what name is on the blank but the fact of the matter is that the top quality float fishing rods are only made by well known names (to my knowledge anyhow). I've not come across any unnamed float rods worth a jot for serious trotting.

Philip

Reaction score
I'm not interested in what name is on the blank but the fact of the matter is that the top quality float fishing rods are only made by well known names (to my knowledge anyhow). I've not come across any unnamed float rods worth a jot for serious trotting.

Well I am quite happy to accept you probably know allot more about trotting than me. For a start I don’t know what “serious” trotting is. My measure is how many fish it catches.

I take your point however that perhaps there is a limited number of good rod manufacturers and yes I suppose it also depends on whose hands it is in as well. The point I am making is that I see things written on rods and then I look at the rod and think that it would be a much better tool for something else. Plus I was talking more generally rather than rods for trotting in particular.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I am quite happy to accept you probably know allot more about trotting than me. For a start I don’t know what “serious” trotting is. My measure is how many fish it catches.

I take your point however that perhaps there is a limited number of good rod manufacturers and yes I suppose it also depends on whose hands it is in as well. The point I am making is that I see things written on rods and then I look at the rod and think that it would be a much better tool for something else. Plus I was talking more generally rather than rods for trotting in particular.

I'm not claiming to know any more about trotting than any other angler, you included Philip ;).
Serious trotting is when it's your passion and you use the method more than any other....so your serious about it and try to get the best tools/rods and reel for the task, much like any other hobby/sport or interest that you get hooked on.

As an example..."a cyclist" can do very well on a average alloy bike but if he gets a higher end bike with a carbon frame and better components he will more than likely have better results ;).

Philip

Reaction score
I'm not claiming to know any more about trotting than any other angler, you included Philip ;).
Serious trotting is when it's your passion and you use the method more than any other....so your serious about it and try to get the best tools/rods and reel for the task, much like any other hobby/sport or interest that you get hooked on.

As an example..."a cyclist" can do very well on a average alloy bike but if he gets a higher end bike with a carbon frame and better components he will more than likely have better results ;).

Yeah I know I was pulling your leg. …put it this way, I still consider my Alpha match as a good float rod…that’s the level of float angler your talking to ! :D

Actually its quite weird you mention the bike analogy …and I really promise this is true ! …I literally just brought a new Mountain bike which I tried out in anger for the first time this very evening. Very good bike it is too, had rave reviews from all an sundry & cost 4 times as much as the old no name one. However I couldn’t help but think as I rode it across the forest that the old one in its prime was just as good.I know that sounds made up but really I promise. This very evening ! I had to laugh at the conicidence :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I know I was pulling your leg. …put it this way, I still consider my Alpha match as a good float rod…that’s the level of float angler your talking to ! :D

Actually its quite weird you mention the bike analogy …and I really promise this is true ! …I literally just brought a new Mountain bike which I tried out in anger for the first time this very evening. Very good bike it is too, had rave reviews from all an sundry & cost 4 times as much as the old no name one. However I couldn’t help but think as I rode it across the forest that the old one in its prime was just as good.I know that sounds made up but really I promise. This very evening ! I had to laugh at the conicidence :D

That is an odd conicidence ! I've been doin' a bit of cycling myself since a achilles tendon injury at the end of last September :w.
I'll be going out tomorrow for a ride on an old MTB, not a long one, maybe 30 miles on the roads but i'll be grinding up the local hills with some being 14% for half a mile or more in some places and riding as fast as I can, i've got a sweat on just thinkin' about it. I've been blowing the roadies (we call 'em spiders) off on their road bikes on the hills :D . I got a plus size bike a bit back, it has 3inch tyres. Riding that one on the roads is painful but it's worth it when you get home :).

Philip

Reaction score
I liked the look of the plus bikes but went for something more conventional in the end , although I did upgrade from a 26 to a 29inch wheeler …first impression is its quicker but not so good through the fiddly bits.

Sorry Mr Vimes we appear to be hijacking your thread ! :eek:

Ok so …getting back to rods …one thing I would be interested in Tigger is your or anyone else’s thoughts on is this …I currently use a 14 foot rod for trotting I have been mulling about getting a longer rod. I certainly notice the difference between using a 13 foot or 14 foot rod…the line control & pick up it obviously allot better with the longer rod. I suppose the question is, assuming you have the physical space to use it in, whether there is such a thing as an optimum length for a float or trotting rod ?
Or is it subjective & horses for courses ?

Be interesting to hear from anyone using 15 footers or longer on whether you noticed a realistic difference..

sam vimes

Reaction score

I wouldn't worry, I don't. Threads go where they will.

Ok so …getting back to rods …one thing I would be interested in Tigger is your or anyone else’s thoughts on is this …I currently use a 14 foot rod for trotting I have been mulling about getting a longer rod. I certainly notice the difference between using a 13 foot or 14 foot rod…the line control & pick up it obviously allot better with the longer rod. I suppose the question is, assuming you have the physical space to use it in, whether there is such a thing as an optimum length for a float or trotting rod ?

Be interesting to hear from anyone using 15 footers or longer on whether you noticed a realistic difference..

As has been mentioned before, on this thread and others, I have a bit of a thing for long rods. I use them on rivers and deep stillwaters. My own experience is that I've yet to find a rod in excess of 15' that I'm entirely happy to use on a river all day. It's a different story on a stillwater where the rod can be placed in rests.

As far as I'm concerned, longer trotting rods can definitely offer greater float control. This becomes more apparent when the wind is not in your favour or you are fishing streamy, uneven water. There was a pic of a rather serene looking stretch of the Frome on here the other day. It looked more like a canal with flow than the rivers I fish. I doubt I'd be quite so bothered with long rods if that were the type of water I fished. However, they may still come in handy when the wind gets tricky.

I do have the odd 14' rod, but the vast bulk of my float rods are 13 and 15'. I keep hearing mutterings about a 17' Drennan Acolyte. I'd certainly like the opportunity to try one if they ever appear.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Absolutely agree tigger, couldn't of said it any better, well said :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 07:38 ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 ----------

Totally agree on this, well said :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

I liked the look of the plus bikes but went for something more conventional in the end , although I did upgrade from a 26 to a 29inch wheeler …first impression is its quicker but not so good through the fiddly bits.

Hi Philip,

Over the years I've done a lot of serious trotting on the vast expanses of the tidal Thames walking and wading out on the gravel runs, the areas that I've targeted within the last 30 odd years are from Twickenham, Richmond, Isleworth, Kew, Strand on the green ( Chiswick ), Mortlake, Barnes and Leg of mutton being my favourite, Hammersmith and Putney.

The rod in question that I'm using is the 17 ft Maver destiny this is one fantastic rod and to be truthful the technology on it is second to to none, it is so light it feels like a normal light 14-15 ft rod,

It is a big advantage point for me to use a rod like this because when I'm wading out on the gravel runs its normally quite shallow for some distance before I can hit a waggler into one of the deeper gully's / channel and need the length of rod to really punch a float out, also because of the extra length although when waggler fishing most generally allow the float to take its natural course but there are times when the float will definitely need to be mended especially more so at any distance,
Also the very best advantage of the long rod is when it comes to striking and connecting with the fish to set the hook, the longer rod will lift the line more rapidly on the strike :thumbs:

Me personally well I'm well happy with it and honestly wish that there was a rod made like this years ago, I can well remember fishing 20 years back fishing exactly the same places and tactics but with a 13 ft float rod :eek:
Well yes although the 13 ft rod caught me fish my efforts in casting, mending the line and striking was a lot more hard work if one gets me jist so to speak :D

Be lucky

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Philip, i'm probably one of the few who prefers a standard 13ft rod for the majority of my trotting. I do use 14 footers as well and in some conditions... such as a wider stretch and/or windy conditions the extra foot does help me keep control of the important bits. Maybe one day in the future I will get a 15 footer but the only one which I would consider would be a 15ft acolyte plus which as you know is only a recent addition to drennans stable.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

Hi Philip,
The rod in question that I'm using is the 17 ft Drennan Acolyte, this is one fantastic rod and to be truthful the technology on it is second to to none, it is so light it feels like a normal light 14-15 ft rod,

MD, are you sure it's a drennan rod bud? As far as I know drennan only do a 15ft acolyte. I'm quite sure Mr Vines would have his name firmly etched into the very first 17ft acolyte drennan ever release !!

trotter2

Reaction score
My longest rod is 15 ft but the ones I use the most are 13 ft I find by carefully controlled feeding most fish can be drawn in closer almost at the rod tip if you get it right.
The longer rods only get used on very deep water. I much prefer the shorter lighter rod
I can see the advantages of the longer rod with long trotting hitting bites at distance and line controle. But for stick float the 13ft Is more versatile IMO..
It's all about the feeding get it right and you don't need the long rod for the majority of times.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Philip, i'm probably one of the few who prefers a standard 13ft rod for the majority of my trotting. I do use 14 footers as well and in some conditions... such as a wider stretch and/or windy conditions the extra foot does help me keep control of the important bits. Maybe one day in the future I will get a 15 footer but the only one which I would consider would be a 15ft acolyte plus which as you know is only a recent addition to drennans stable.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 ----------

MD, are you sure it's a drennan rod bud? As far as I know drennan only do a 15ft acolyte. I'm quite sure Mr Vines would have his name firmly etched into the very first 17ft acolyte drennan ever release !!

Oops yea sorry tigger I have got the 15 ft acolyte rod, I meant to say me 17 ft Maver destiny rod....lols.....doh :eek:mg:

I mentioned the acolyte probably because this is what I normally and mainly use on most other fisheries :D

Now edited me original post

Speak soon

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Interesting that i thought everyone would be raving about the longer rods but not as much as I anticipated. Other than trotting the other reason I am contemplating a longer rod is for stret pegging. I do quite a bit of that and the extra length could come in handy.

...However the idea of a 17 foot float rod is rather scary ... I bust the tips of rods for fun, sticking them into trees and stuff so that would be plain asking for trouble in my hands !

trotter2

Reaction score
15 feet would be the maximum for me. 17ft is a very long heavy rod and I would question how long you could hold it before having to put it down and take a break.
Regarding stret pegging yes it would be an advantage ,but its a one track pony so question the need first mate.:)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
15 feet would be the maximum for me. 17ft is a very long heavy rod and I would question how long you could hold it before having to put it down and take a break.
Regarding stret pegging yes it would be an advantage ,but its a one track pony so question the need first mate.:)

I've mentioned on page 3 that I've spent many years probably around 30 years trotting the vast expanses of the tidal Thames,

I normally fish from about the 2 nd hour into the ebb tide all the way down to low water and then normally fish the first hour of the flood tide,

From high water down to low it takes approximately 8 hrs to ebb,

The rod that I sometimes use is me 17 ft Maver destiny and is no way heavy, the weight of it is probably similar to yer average 14-15 ft rod,

I can easily and comfortably trot with this for upto several hrs no problem at all :thumbs:

Philip

Reaction score
Mud, it sounds like you have allot of experience in some of my old stamping grounds.

Just an idea...why dont you write an article for the site on some of your exploits ? ...sounds like you have some good info to pass on...

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Mud, it sounds like you have allot of experience in some of my old stamping grounds.

Just an idea...why dont you write an article for the site on some of your exploits ? ...sounds like you have some good info to pass on...

Mmm.....yea I could do Philip, I could probably write a book on various exploits and techniques etc but don't exactly where I'd start,

How would I go about writing an article, what I mean is where would the article go as in what section would it go under or would I have to contact any of the moderators for advice,

I wouldn't like the thought of spending some time " hours " in writing such articles and it just gets posted on a normal open thread where within a week or two goes down forum list and then ends up being unnoticed if you get me jist.

I've often been asked many times before over the years that I should write articles or even books but perhaps need some incouragement and advice :D

I suppose it's certainly worth me thinking about as I do actually like / enjoy writing about fishing on particular subjects etc and if I can help anyone I obviously will,

Food for thought :D

Speak soon

mikench

Reaction score
Whatever you write Stuart ,provided you derive enjoyment and satisfaction from doing so, will be a permanent record of you, your experiences and arguably your life! It will stand the test of time and can be passed on to your children if you are fortunate to have them!

As a blog it will remain on the site as such for ever; Mudlarkers Musings!:rolleyes: If you want a proof reader to check it for typos and grammar , I would be happy to help! I know from my own writing experiences that you always miss glaring spelling mistakes which are staring you in the face. Fresh eyes make all the difference.

Once you have the form i.e. How you started, when ,where and how, you can always add to it. Think of the fishing equivalent of "it shouldn't happen to a vet"!:)

If it is relatively short you could just type on her as you go but if longer, it would be best to type it into word ( Microsoft) or pages ( Apple) and then copy and paste onto the forum when you are happy with it. I am sure you will have factual tales, humerous tales and tips and advice. Go on we your readership deserve it!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Whatever you write Stuart ,provided you derive enjoyment and satisfaction from doing so, will be a permanent record of you, your experiences and arguably your life! It will stand the test of time and can be passed on to your children if you are fortunate to have them!

As a blog it will remain on the site as such for ever; Mudlarkers Musings!:rolleyes: If you want a proof reader to check it for typos and grammar , I would be happy to help! I know from my own writing experiences that you always miss glaring spelling mistakes which are staring you in the face. Fresh eyes make all the difference.

Once you have the form i.e. How you started, when ,where and how, you can always add to it. Think of the fishing equivalent of "it shouldn't happen to a vet"!:)

If it is relatively short you could just type on her as you go but if longer, it would be best to type it into word ( Microsoft) or pages ( Apple) and then copy and paste onto the forum when you are happy with it. I am sure you will have factual tales, humerous tales and tips and advice. Go on we your readership deserve it!

Cheers for yer support and advice Mike :thumbs:

I've never done pages or such like in Microsoft, Apple, copy n paste, blogs etc,

Being honest I wouldn't have a clue in what to do n where to start.....lols :D

Took me long enough to work out a pc a few years back and now me iPad ....lols,

I'll certainly give it some thought,

At the very least I'm prepared to put some shortish informative threads up on the forum for all to read at times about various rivers and tactics etc,

Perhaps give me something to do during the close season :D

Speak soon