Musings on float rods

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Reading this thread i am coming to the conclusion that i could do with a nice 15ft float rod. My longest is 13ft and there have been occasions where a particularly deep swim on stillwater or slack river where i would rather not use a slider or when trotting with a lot of space that the extra control would be a help.

It appears that the best currently available rod would be a Drennan Acolyte?.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It appears that the best currently available rod would be a Drennan Acolyte?.

Best is always going to be open to debate, but it's very likely to be the lightest. If that's what appeals, you've just got to decide between Acolyte Ultra and Acolyte Plus. The plus is the beefier of the two but is fractionally heavier.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
As this is a thread about float rods, does anyone have any experience of the Preston Absolute range - good, bad or indifferent?

Keith M

Reaction score
I am very impressed with my Ultra when I'm using it for smaller species like Roach, Rudd, crucians, dace, chub and even the dreaded snotty (spit).

I've even caught the odd smallish Carp and Barbel on it although I wouldn't use it for larger species normally as it is not really built for these.

But for a light float rod it is really great.
I've even left my old favourite Amorphous Whisker Light float rod at home in my fishing den so the Ultra must be good Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
f that's what appeals, you've just got to decide between Acolyte Ultra and Acolyte Plus. The plus is the beefier of the two but is fractionally heavier.

Interested in your or anyones opinion on what range of line Breaking strains the Plus will realistically handle ? ...e.g 2-5 ? ..3 6 ? etc etc ...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interested in your or anyones opinion on what range of line Breaking strains the Plus will realistically handle ? ...e.g 2-5 ? ..3 6 ? etc etc ...

I use 6lb straight through with a 13ft plus and have often hit and held barbel with it.

sam vimes

Reaction score

The rod (15' Plus) itself states mainlines of 4 to 6lb+. Hooklengths of 2.5-5lb. I can't see an problem with those ratings but I wouldn't be averse to sneaking the hooklength rating up by another 1lb if it became necessary. 6lb straight through wouldn't have me worried. However, Tigger might be the better man to ask in this regard.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The rod (15' Plus) itself states mainlines of 4 to 6lb+. Hooklengths of 2.5-5lb. I can't see an problem with those ratings but I wouldn't be averse to sneaking the hooklength rating up by another 1lb if it became necessary. 6lb straight through wouldn't have me worried. However, Tigger might be the better man to ask in this regard.

I've used 6lb straight through with the 13 and 14 ft rods Chris but ain't got a clue about the 15 footer plus, i've never even held one...that's your call ;).

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks guys...that sounds like a dream chub trotting rod.

However I am more likly to want to go the other way ...so Chub & Roach rather than Chub & Barbel...

In that case what about the normal (so not Plus) rod...what lines is that rated for ?

Ideal rod for me would be say 2-5 ..but able to handle lighter hooklinks down to say 1.5 ..

..Perhaps I am asking too much...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

However I am more likly to want to go the other way ...so Chub & Roach rather than Chub & Barbel...

In that case what about the normal (so not Plus) rod...what lines is that rated for ?

Ideal rod for me would be say 2-5 ..but able to handle lighter hooklinks down to say 1.5 ..

Blimey, i've got two rods for sale right now that are just that rating! I put them on here but no one has shown any interest. I'm not bothered as they'll sell ok anyhow but they really are top end rods and in mint nick.

Philip

Reaction score
Blimey, i've got two rods for sale right now that are just that rating! I put them on here but no one has shown any interest. I'm not bothered as they'll sell ok anyhow but they really are top end rods and in mint nick.

Thanks Tigger...I took a look but I notice they are 13 & 14 foot...I am already covered there...i was mulling on a 15 footer..which truth be told would be insane as the garage is overflowing with rods already ...but you know whats its like ...there always seems to be just enough space for 1 more...:eek:mg::D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Tigger...I took a look but I notice they are 13 & 14 foot...I am already covered there...i was mulling on a 15 footer..which truth be told would be insane as the garage is overflowing with rods already ...but you know whats its like ...there always seems to be just enough space for 1 more...:eek:mg::D

If I was after a 15ft rod i'd go for the accy plus, if it's anything like the 14ft rod it'll cover pretty much everything you want.

sam vimes

Reaction score

15' Acolyte Ultra has ratings of 3-5lb mainlines and 1.5-4lb hooklengths printed on it. I wouldn't want to use it in a snag pit for decent chub, but it has handled chub to over 5lb or so without issues. I do consider it a dace/grayling rod, but have no qualms when the occasional chub or reasonable trout turns up. I know Ultras that have coped with the odd barbel for others.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As this is a thread about float rods, does anyone have any experience of the Preston Absolute range - good, bad or indifferent?

Andy, I was refraining from comment as I don't really have enough experience of the Absolutes. However, as no one else has given an answer, all I can say is that they've not impressed me enough (in a shop or briefly on the bank) to part with money for one. That's not to say they are bad, just that I didn't feel that there was anything particularly special about them.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Cheers for that Sam. The fact that only one person has commented tells me enough.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
ive had only a quick flick over this tread and while i agree with much of what has been said from all sides of it, bits(a lot) of it are very personal to the respective writers, and should be taken as such , personal,,,,,,,,, i hold no great know how in what is good or bad for x, y, z type of float rod, from length to action to strength/power etc, but i do own a few from a range of makers in different lengths and one hand made 17'(maker shall remain nameless) and in very low to quite high price range, i have to say all my rods do what a rod should do, but some get used a lot and some not so much, theres been quite a bit of talk here of shakespeare, (i happen to rather like their gear and will lay praise upon ) but my go to float rod is an 11/13' maver , mostly used in 13' mode, i chose the rods on feel in my hand rather than name or price or writeup somewhere, i have cork handles and foam , soft tip and stiff all the way from tip to butt action rods, i couldnt tell any of you if theres a rod for you in my hodgepodge bundle, but if your looking to by , my reasoning would be, read a bit, listen to a bit, try not to be brand loyal, and until you feel a few in your hand dont make your mind up... just my personal musings on this subject;)

Last edited: