gear you would not part with.

trotter2

Reaction score
We have had the best buys,worst buys topics.
How about gear you would not part with.
Its could be sentimental or something which is the best at its job and you cant replace,or maybe something else.
For me it would be my old match aerial and the old silstar rods made in the 80s
Like the diaflex range I have never found better
The other Item I am very attached to is my john Wilson Avon
What's your list look like?

B

binka

My homemade perch bobbers! :D

Irreplaceable in the respect that I never thought I could produce them in the first place and also in the respect that I would cry like a baby at the prospect of having to do it all again.

Seriously though...

Having just had a brutal, major clear out and sell off I reckon what I've got is what I couldn't part with so that's just about everything, I have a couple of duplications where I want to fish a two rod identical set up due to my OCD so I guess one half of that could go at a push but I'm really uncomfortable with the thought of anything else going.

By far my most prized possession is my Anglers Arms pub sign which I restored myself and which far pre-dates any tackle that I currently own.

I do have a Daiwa 2503 Match from 1998 which my late father bought me when I started back fishing in 1998, it's one of three and distinguishable by a fag burn I melted into the handle and which I wouldn't part with for anything on sentimental grounds.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
My Shakespeare Alpha Carp Rod, circa 1975. It cost my Mum £17.95 at the time which was probably more than a week's wages for most fellas. I honestly believe that my Mum had to adjust her housekeeping for several weeks to absorb that hit and once I had an understanding of money and sacrifice, I felt so guilty - and forty odd years later, I still do, more so probably.

Although, unbeknown to me at the time, it wasn't the rod I needed I made sure, in subsequent use, to catch some decent fish with it.

The other is a secondhand Sealey Blue Diamond float/match rod that my late Dad bought me. The only time my Dad ever came to watch me fish, I cast out a waggler and had an instant take resulting in a tench of some 2lbs.

I remember my Dad having a big smile but it was nothing compared to mine.

I'd never part with either rod - the memories are just too precious. :)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
For me it have to be my Abu 501 reels,

80's Silstar match rods and my collection of vintage stick floats :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not that sentimental about tackle. I'm a dreadful hoarder and I find it hard to get rid of stuff I no longer use but that's laziness rather than sentimentality. No rod springs to mind as being ungetridofable but I'd never get rid of my Bewick centrepin ( because I love it) or my Purist pin which Mrs S bought me for my 40th birthday. Or my pair of Swedish built 501's.

I do quite a bit of research before parting with any hard earned so the rods/reels I own & use are IMO perfect for what I want them to do so I'd not get rid of any of my current users... though there's always room for another. Most were bought for very specific jobs/situations/waters so if I fancy a crack at something new that's all the excuse I need to buy another. I have plans for next season that will mean another couple of rods of a type I don't currently have.

Yes I know.......Tart !:eek:mg:

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
For me it have to be my Abu 501 reels,

80's Silstar match rods and my collection of vintage stick floats :D

Which silstar rods do you have mudlarker interested because it sounds like you love them also mate.
Back in the 80 the top of the range silstar rods I could not afford but I purposely look out for them now , but as you know the good ones aee getting hard to find at a reasonable price.
Looks like people are starting to cotton on.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I generally part with stuff that's used beyond redemption or has enough resale value for me to (at least) come close to recouping the initial outlay. Unfortunately, that means I part with very little. When I do part with things with life left in them they are usually given away or long term loaned.

I could probably do with a bit of a clear out, but I really can't be bothered with the aggro. Everyone seems to want stuff for nowt. I don't do charity for strangers that can afford to pay.

B

binka

It's funny that the original, Swedish built 501's have come up a couple of times already.

I had two back in the 80's and swore by them but I've never felt the urge since, unlike with other things, to return to them.

Not sure what's holding me back on that as I would normally launch myself in feet first, was it something to do with the back wind or was that the 506?

Happy memories even so, especially that unmistakable 'dink' when you clicked the release pin in :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It's funny that the original, Swedish built 501's have come up a couple of times already.

I had two back in the 80's and swore by them but I've never felt the urge since, unlike with other things, to return to them.

Not sure what's holding me back on that as I would normally launch myself in feet first, was it something to do with the back wind or was that the 506?

Happy memories even so, especially that unmistakable 'dink' when you clicked the release pin in :)

In terms of smoothness they are like buckets of spanners compared to modern reels but in a wind so much easier than a pin. Awful clutches though...... and not great backwinders. Bits reels IMO.

Both mine look mint despite years of use which speaks volumes for the build quality. I got one of the new 506 from Santa and it just doesn't get anywhere close in that respect. Glad I didn't pay much for it !

But the 501's only cost £8 new....... albeit that was in 1876 ! I'd just got married so they are 36 years old now.:eek:

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My Normark Avenger, it's like a blood brother :D.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Which silstar rods do you have mudlarker interested because it sounds like you love them also mate.
Back in the 80 the top of the range silstar rods I could not afford but I purposely look out for them now , but as you know the good ones aee getting hard to find at a reasonable price.

My favorite rod is also a silstar but it is in need of TLC , it's a quiver tip and the quiver socket has broken off so needs TLC most annoying as its a beaut to use ..

PG ...

Philip

Reaction score
This thread made me think...like most of us I have way too much stuff so i really racked by brains to think which things i would hate to lose and i came with 5 quite odd things...first is my JRC unhooking mat thats been through think and thin with me and appears indestructable. Second is my Alpha match that rarely use anymore but was my first "proper" fishing rod. Third is one of those black Woolworth 6 foot rods that came in a plastic blister pack with a reel and some terminal tackle.... maybe its because it reminds me of Woolies! Forth are a pair of Shimano 8010 reels...the sort like the baitrunner but without the baitrunner..had them for yonks and they still work and finally a mustard hook sharpener that i rarely if ever use but always carry.

A strange selection but i would be very sad if i lost any of them.

I would have added an original JRC canvas fishing chair but i lost that when i tied it to my umbrella in a gale, got up for a pee and watched the whole lot take off, fly into the middle of the river and sink into the depths. Whoops!

trotter2

Reaction score
My favorite rod is also a silstar but it is in need of TLC , it's a quiver tip and the quiver socket has broken off so needs TLC most annoying as its a beaut to use ..

PG ...

I was very lucky I recently got hold of a 13ft diaflex for a reasonable price its the spliced tip version goes with me 14ft one.
Been looking of years

peterjg

Reaction score
I would never part with a pair of bite alarms which I made in the early '90s, they have 8 different sounds ranging from hand grenades to machine-gun effects - totally ridiculous I know and very silly. I could have sold them a hundred times!

I couldn't part with my Match Ariel reel and my 14ft Acolyte Ultra.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I'm not that sentimental about tackle. I'm a dreadful hoarder and I find it hard to get rid of stuff I no longer use but that's laziness rather than sentimentality. No rod springs to mind as being ungetridofable but I'd never get rid of my Bewick centrepin ( because I love it) or my Purist pin which Mrs S bought me for my 40th birthday. Or my pair of Swedish built 501's.

I do quite a bit of research before parting with any hard earned so the rods/reels I own & use are IMO perfect for what I want them to do so I'd not get rid of any of my current users... though there's always room for another. Most were bought for very specific jobs/situations/waters so if I fancy a crack at something new that's all the excuse I need to buy another. I have plans for next season that will mean another couple of rods of a type I don't currently have.

Yes I know.......Tart !:eek:mg:

Yeaaa.........another 501 fan ;)

sagalout

Reaction score
None of my gear means anything t0 me it is just fishing tackle, so I am happy to part with anything.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

I now have:

x 3 of the Silstar GT match 420 Traverse X 14 ft

X 1 Silstar Ian Heaps match team 420 14 ft

trotter2

Reaction score
I now have:

x 3 of the Silstar GT match 420 Traverse X 14 ft

X 1 Silstar Ian Heaps match team 420 14 ft

Nice I also have a traverse its the 12ft version its also very nice.
I did also have an Ian heaps mine was the classic range 13ft. :thumbs:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Hi Steve,

I absolutely luv using me 501's and honestly now wouldn't be without em,

Yea it were the 501 that were only capable of backwinding, some seem to think that the backwind wasn't all that but I've never found this to be, in fact it's the only reason why I luv em so much because all of me trotting I play fish on the backwind, I've never ever relied on the clutch of any reel where big roach are concerned as to me it just ain't worth taking that chance of a bumped fish,

When backwinding I'm in full control and have full confidence on light hook lengths as low as 1 lb strain if need be and certainly wouldn't have the same confidence with clutches on reels, even modern reels :rolleyes:

The Abu 506 had a terrible clutch and most experienced match men and river anglers would simply take out the anti reverse pawl so that these reels could now backwind :D

seth49

Reaction score
To be honest I part with very little tackle, I give some to my grandson, he's shown an interest in fishing, so I like to encourage that,any thing I don't need I'll offer it to my mate.

I wouldn't part with any of my pins, and I've two of the original greys prodigy barbel rods, twelve foot 1 1/2 lbs test curve Avon top, plus a quiver tip holder for three tips,there so useful, for so many things.

Also when the local tackle shop was giving up selling tackle, I bought a vision mag nine ft fly rod, should have been over three hundred pounds, I got it for a hundred, it's a cracking rod for river or light reservoir work.
I've also got one of the Swedish 501s, never tried it yet will have to give it a go.?