river kennett

associatedmatt

Reaction score
im looking for some good river fishing to learn on and after chub and barbel mainly , 10 minuites up the road is malbrough where the river runs through but been told its mainly fly fishing area.

Where abouts does the fishing start for chub and barbel fishing ?

can get to newbury within 1/2 hour also

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
im looking for some good river fishing to learn on and after chub and barbel mainly , 10 minuites up the road is malbrough where the river runs through but been told its mainly fly fishing area.

Where abouts does the fishing start for chub and barbel fishing ?

can get to newbury within 1/2 hour also

Can get to Newbury within 1/2 hr, blimey Matt yer then made for Kennet barbel fishing, being honest mate in this case I wouldn't even bother worrying about the Thames, I'd definitely stick with the Kennet.

Newbury is all free fishing :thumbs:

Although not now but only a few seasons back I done about 8 years solid on the Kennet for the barbel, just downstream from Newbury you got Thatcham and I'd be inclined to join the Thatcham club, they've got Rainsford farm for about a mile or so and also about the same length at Padworth.

Also it would definitely be worth contacting the RDAA ( Reading and district anglers association ) as they've got about 20 odd miles of the Kennet and Thames.

I used to fish the RDAA club aswell and fished Padworth, upper benyons, lower benyons, sulhapstead, theale and other surrounding back waters that came off of the Kennet.

Both of these clubs have there own websites, just google and they'll come straight up :thumbs:

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
stuart , so in your opinion the kennet is far a better river to fish ?

heading toward newbury is getting a bit far to go there often , but yes i can to newbury and thatcham .

which section is best for the chub and barbel ?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
stuart , so in your opinion the kennet is far a better river to fish ?

heading toward newbury is getting a bit far to go there often , but yes i can to newbury and thatcham .

which section is best for the chub and barbel ?

Definitely Thatcham Matt,

Look at the Thatcham club website :thumbs:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
sorry i meant heading towards reading is getting too far . Il go have a look

i guess this would be luncheon meat ledgered never done touch ledgering yet but may be the better method

---------- Post added at 07:31 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Padworth (calpac) is a prolific barbel fishery and its on the thatcham ticket . But there is no way as many shoals as used to be , think its got to be river lea or wye or Severn but i wouldnt fish big powerful rivers on my own .

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
sorry i meant heading towards reading is getting too far . Il go have a look

i guess this would be luncheon meat ledgered never done touch ledgering yet but may be the better method

---------- Post added at 07:31 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Padworth (calpac) is a prolific barbel fishery and its on the thatcham ticket . But there is no way as many shoals as used to be , think its got to be river lea or wye or Severn but i wouldnt fish big powerful rivers on my own .

Mmm......yea luncheon meat is ok Matt, I'd personally go on a small partial approach IE hemp and caster bait dropped into the swim with caster on the hook, or use other baits like popped up bread crust which most think is actually a chub bait but couldn't be further from the truth :rolleyes: also lobworms when the rivers are up and coloured etc.

Yea mate I know calpac as this is the club that I'm currently in now because they've got waters on me local river Medway :D

Forget river lea I've known people to fish there for barbel at kings weir and fishers green and blank for a whole season :eek:

unless you join the verulum club up on the upper reaches of the lea then this is different altogether as the barbel fishing on these upper reaches are some what easier, the only problem with this club Matt is that it's miles from where you are.

I also used to be a member of the verulum club aswell as I used to fish the upper lea for the quality roach :thumbs:

Nowadays I tend to stick closer to home in Kent apart from the fact it saves me a lot of money from various memberships and traveling

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i have to have a think about it as the bristol avon chippenham stretch is closer and there is aparently some decent chub fishing and got 3 lakes all for £37 !

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
i have to have a think about it as the bristol avon chippenham stretch is closer and there is aparently some decent chub fishing and got 3 lakes all for £37 !

Yea mate definitely just put some info about Chippenham on yer Thames thread :D

peterjg

Reaction score
Matt: I am retired now so quite often I fish the Kennet three times a week. It is not easy but I love it, I now fish mainly for roach but occasionally catch the odd barbel by accident. Have a look at the Reading & District website they have a lot of Kennet venues, there are other clubs (and syndicates) but some can be very expensive. If you need further info let me know and I'll send you a PM.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks peter , only just starting into river fishing so need something a bit easier

All my fishing is self taught . nobody has ever shown me i just learn from what i see of internet etc

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If you're going to fish the Kennet then I hope you don't mind signal crayfish. The river is infested with the damned things which is why I stopped fishing it. Plus I quite fancied my car still being there when I got back.

My favourite ever river but I've not fished it for 10-12 years and doubt I ever will again.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
ah ! i hate the things like alot of cotswold pits are full of them . Think im going to have a go on the avon

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
If you're going to fish the Kennet then I hope you don't mind signal crayfish. The river is infested with the damned things which is why I stopped fishing it. Plus I quite fancied my car still being there when I got back.

My favourite ever river but I've not fished it for 10-12 years and doubt I ever will again.

Yea mate I quite agree with the likes of Padworth lane on the upper benyons perhaps being a bit dodgy and down towards the lower benyons and Sulhampstead not particularly being good for left motors :eek:mg:

However out of the various clubs that I'd fished when i was regularly on the Kennet I'd say that the Thatcham club at Rainsford farm, Thatcham probably has the safest car park that I know of, is all properly gated up :thumbs:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
What happened to the old day ticket section at Aldermaston (from memory below a weir and a road bridge for a few hundred yards, with last swims after a left hand bend). Popular with London clubs and ours used to book it on the odd Sunday, then i went a few times on day ticket, but this must be 30 years ago. I wonder if it still fishable?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What happened to the old day ticket section at Aldermaston (from memory below a weir and a road bridge for a few hundred yards, with last swims after a left hand bend). Popular with London clubs and ours used to book it on the odd Sunday, then i went a few times on day ticket, but this must be 30 years ago. I wonder if it still fishable?

Still available to the best of my knowledge but nothing like as good as it was.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If money's no object then the Wasing estate takes some beating (no, me neither, but I have some friends that are members and used to go with them as a guest from time to time before I moved) - Possibly my most fished/liked stretch of the Kennet was the Burghfield river on the old RMC/CEMEX ticket but, out of the two rivers, the Loddon was always my favourite..............