Blended bread in a cage feeder

nova12

Reaction score
Looking at doing some cage feeder fishing with bread this weekend but wonderd if i cram the bread in the feeder will it float??? The bread crumb that is also ill be punching bread on thr hook will this also sink ?? Sorry if this is a silly question?
Also coukd yiu put hemp in the bread crumb? Or anybofy got any other ideas???
Thanks in advance

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
No mate the feeder won't float because there normally made of metal or if they are plastic they normally have a flat leads strip at the base of the feeder which we used to call dead cow lead.

The liquised bread will come out of the feeder as normal once cast into yer swim,

Fishing with punched bread is fine as the weight of the hook alone keeps the bait on the bottom, the only time that bread punch and flake will float is if they are big baits on the hook and in this case I'd pinch a small shot onto yer hook length about 1 " from the hook, basically the same as a pop up boilie :thumbs:

Be lucky

nova12

Reaction score
Thankz i no the feeder will sink just wonderd about the bread
Realy ill be using a size 14 guru mwg on the hair

peterjg

Reaction score
Liquidised bread on its own will very often just clog up in the cage feeder. Instead mix 2 parts liquidised bread with 1 part seived layers mash. You can mix in some fish meal or flavour if you wish. This mix will come out of the feeder and will not clog. The mixture can be adjusted to how fast you want the feeder to empty. Use filtered water or rain water, mix it the day before you go fishing. Layers mash is chicken feed, it is very cheap, a great groundbait additive. Good luck.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Liquidised bread on its own will very often just clog up in the cage feeder. Instead mix 2 parts liquidised bread with 1 part seived layers mash. You can mix in some fish meal or flavour if you wish. This mix will come out of the feeder and will not clog. The mixture can be adjusted to how fast you want the feeder to empty. Use filtered water or rain water, mix it the day before you go fishing. Layers mash is chicken feed, it is very cheap, a great groundbait additive. Good luck.

I use layers mash and chick crumb quite a lot in with me feed as I'm a breeder of canaries and British finches and have a fair amount of the stuff ;)

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Liquidised bread will clog up your feeder if you compact it in too firmly.
I just apply enough pressure on each end of the feeder to stop it falling out and it never clogs up.