Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > >
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 19-03-2017, 20:04

Andy Pet is on a distinguished road
Default Back Shotting Pole Rigs

OK, I've pole fished for more years that can remember and up until today have only ever used shot/styles/stotz to allow my float to sit as it should. However, today I've seen a video of Steve Ringer with shot on the "wrong" side of a pole float, "up in the air".

What benefit does "backshotting" have if any other than sinking the float if you are not watching?

Thanks in advance
Old 19-03-2017, 20:24

flightliner is a jewel in the roughflightliner is a jewel in the roughflightliner is a jewel in the roughflightliner is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Back Shotting Pole Rigs

I dont pole fish as a rule but backshotting is a standard practice on rivers when trotting a float downstream when a contrary wind or skittish breeze blows the line into a bow and takes the float off its intended course , it could be used on stillwaters when pole fishing for the same reason.
Another ploy is to do the same if the water as any undertow when the bait is being pulled along the bottom causing the bait to be pulled away from the baited area.
In similar situations tho not back shotted the line above the float can be treated with fullers earth which sinks the line and helps no end in holding the rig tight against nearside underwater feutures such as steeply sloping dropoffs that tend to collect items of food that attract the fish.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 19-03-2017, 20:41
Back Shotting Pole Rigs

peter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to all

Today, being extremely windy, my length of line between poletip and float was about 2' . Much longer than I'd prefer but at least if the wind pulled the poletip round my float would not be moved. I back shotted it with a no 11 shot to sink the first 6" of line above my float, thus sinking the line directly above to prevent the wind blowing the the line above the float first. Back shotting can also be used on a stickfloat whilst trotting during a downstream wind, again giving the float extra stability. This will affect the buoyancy of your float too so if you're struggling simply take a shot off your line below your float and reattach it above...

Click the image to open in full size.

Difficult to explain but basically back shotting helps stabilise the float in tricky conditions.

Last edited by peter crabtree; 19-03-2017 at 20:44.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 19-03-2017, 21:01

thames mudlarker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
Today, being extremely windy, my length of line between poletip and float was about 2' . Much longer than I'd prefer but at least if the wind pulled the poletip round my float would not be moved. I back shotted it with a no 11 shot to sink the first 6" of line above my float, thus sinking the line directly above to prevent the wind blowing the the line above the float first. Back shotting can also be used on a stickfloat whilst trotting during a downstream wind, again giving the float extra stability. This will affect the buoyancy of your float too so if you're struggling simply take a shot off your line below your float and reattach it above...

Click the image to open in full size.

Difficult to explain but basically back shotting helps stabilise the float in tricky conditions.
Absolutely spot on Simon, couldn't of said it any better meself, well said
Thanks for sharing
Old 19-03-2017, 22:04

Thanks for the quick response and diagram. Sort of makes sense now. Only taken me 30 years to ask the question! Just need a damn tool to remove these blinkin' stotz!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes thames mudlarker liked this post
Old 20-03-2017, 07:58

robcourt82 is on a distinguished road

I can remove stotz ok using an old stonfo shot remover/plier tool. I'm sure they're still available.

I think in saying pretty much what's already been said but I use a back shot whenever the float is being pulled about unnaturally. Whether by wind or tow. How I use them is by having a fairly big (relatively) shot, depending on how much help i need, and I try to hold a tight line to the shot. It helps to steady the line between pole tip and float and helps keep you in direct contact. One tip I recently came across that is a big help is when you're fishing into shadows paint the back shot with tip-ex so you can see it better. Is a big help!
I should add that I try to hold the back shot above the water, not to sink the line.

It's all the rage now on snake lakes/f1 venues and there rare loads of bits on YouTube that explain it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes thames mudlarker, Andy Pet liked this post
Old 20-03-2017, 09:02
Back Shotting Pole Rigs

peter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to allpeter crabtree is a name known to all

Stonfo Levapiombo Shot Remover | Ted Carter
Old 20-03-2017, 12:05

robcourt82 is on a distinguished road

That's the one! And the neutral buoyancy pole float shotting thing was called a dosapiombo nor something!
Old 20-03-2017, 17:20

rayner will become famous soon enough

I always have my final trimming shots above the float. Reason is if the wind increases I can slide the shots (normally 3 No10s) up the line.
In effect I have shots to sink the line above the float for more control in wind plus more show on the float.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bracket, thames mudlarker liked this post
Old 20-03-2017, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
Just got one