Perch Bobs

B

binka

I think of them very much as 'worm bobs' Skip, in that they are still one of the best worm floats I know of.

The problem with using a normal float and medium to large sized worms is that the perch will often take the worm quite clumsily and appear to play with it first, having multiple stabs at it before committing and the buoyancy in the upper part of the float is a good indicator of what's happening down below.

With a more sensitive float like a straight peacock waggler it runs the risk of submerging and looking like a positive take before it has actually materialised.

That's my take on it anyway.

The old rule still applies though and you can never have too many variations on a theme...

:)

This very thread sprang to mind whilst watching the video in the link below.

I'm not knocking the fella at all and I enjoyed watching it but listen to his comments regarding missed bites from around 5:54 in and look at the float he's using...

YouTube

I rarely miss a bite with the worm under a bobber, a textbook case imo.

thecrow

Reaction score
If he is missing bites on worm they are from little uns imo, couldn't watch it all through his voice and the music? was getting on my t!t$.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Perch Bobbers are perfect for small livebaits and if they are Having it will work for Worms and Maggots.

Autumn Perch are usually very aggressive and have a go at anything, the bulk of the float helps to set the hook.

And it really does not matter if you are using the bobbers on Still water or Running water, they work just the same.

Although they are mainly used for trotting, the Bobbers work well on a paternoster rig.

Bob

B

binka

I think these are quite a happy medium for a nice, bespoke float at a sensible price...

Hand made Perch, Grayling, Pike bobber, various colours | eBay

Nothing to do with me by the way, I just noticed them as I was trawling the bay.

Now...

I hardly need any more bobbers but if they were a set of five, in ascending weights and lengths, then I'd be pressing 'buy now' before you could say 'rusty wallet hinge' ;)

B

binka

I like this one...

gpb.JPG

:guinness:

fishplate42

Reaction score
I like the Guinness float - it looks very stout :eek:mg:

I have been thinking of making some of my own (just for me, not to sell), there are lots of videos showing all sorts of methods. We have several lathes, one of which is a very small pen lathe (that is not too good at making pens) but I think it might be good for turning, well shaping, float bodies... I will post some pictures if I get around to giving it a go.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
41 quid!!!

Ralph! Let’s not be hasty here! I’ll be your marketing/sales manager.:)

fishplate42

Reaction score
41 quid!!!

Ralph! Let’s not be hasty here! I’ll be your marketing/sales manager.:)

Okay John, I know nothing about perch bobbers, but they don't look like rocket science to make. Champagne cook, and few few bits of stick/reed, a bit of wire and thread, a few pigeon feathers and a good coat of varnish. I'll make a few and I'll even sign them - £35 each - Bargain!

Ralph :rolleyes: