Tench on the feeder

nova12

Reaction score
What are good methods to use to catch the tinkas in the feeder rod was going to use a cage feeder with halibut ground bait,tin of corn,tin of hemp,dead maggots,and crushed mixed pellets with a pellet on a band or corn on the hook the hookling will be 12 inches long and the cage on a guru micro lead clip with quick link.
What do other people use for there tench fishing i see alot using boilie and pellets in pva bags but dont want to go down the alarm route any help much appreciated

cg74

Reaction score
Nova 12,you say you don't want to go down the "alarm route" yet you're using a bolt-rig set up?:confused:

I use basically all feeder approaches; open ended, block ended and method, it boils down to which bait I'm using.
Your set up sounds fine to me.

cg74

Reaction score
Your set up is fine, though I'd shorten the hooklength to about 8" to aid self hooking.

What confuses me is your not wanting to go down the carpy route (which is ok) but chosen a set up developed for catching carp. The bite alarm is just an audible means of bite registration, if that's what you don't want, you can use bobbins etc.

sagalout

Reaction score
I use a small method feeder with micros or liquidised pellet and an 8mm oil soaked banded hook bait, 3" hook link, alarms or tip or just wait for the bait runner to spin up.

nova12

Reaction score
I dont see how ya can target tench with a method i use it alot but catch all species especially carp with micro pellet and pellet on the hook with goo and mainli e syrup chucked in i even put crushed cell boilies in near the warmer weather they go mad for it

chrissh

Reaction score
Again a small method feeder micro & 2-3mm pellet short hook length yellow semi buoyant banded pellet or sweet corn

sagalout

Reaction score
I dont see how ya can target tench with a method i use it alot but catch all species especially carp with micro pellet and pellet on the hook with goo and mainli e syrup chucked in i even put crushed cell boilies in near the warmer weather they go mad for it
I don't understand how you can target tench in a water with carp present, surely you catch what you catch, they both eat the same things in the same way, they both feed at all levels and they both like the same grub, don't they?

cg74

Reaction score

A lot comes down to location, both in terms of swim selection but also your choice of venue.

If you get things right a shoal of tench will push any carp out.

There is no bait that a tench will eat that a carp won't.

The first time I heard about groundbait being placed on the outside of a feeder was about 30yrs+ ago and it was for tench.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Im off tench fishing on sunday , well trying too as carp in there too .

all i will use is a drennan inline bolt maggot feeder with some fake maggots on a hair rig , and the rig will be no longer than the feeder to avoid tangles .

cast regularly every 15 minutes ish unless tape up a few holes in the feeder .