Bag up photos

theartist

Reaction score
Was looking through an angling mag, not sure which one but it had several similar style photos of bags of bream, tench and roach, usually on a mat or in a large net. Was wondering when did it become fashionable to show the fish laid out interlocking like tiles nose to tail in the same direction? And how long does it take to take such a shot?

thecrow

Reaction score
Don't like to see pictures like that, I can remember catches of bream in Ireland when I was much younger where the fish were all laid out, I don't know how long it would take to lay them out and get them to keep still for the picture but it would be too long for the fish imo.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of those fish from some commercial fisheries are caught so often that they know the score.

The angler simply yells, 'record shot' and the tame fish assume the correct position for the picture . . . .

;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Don't like to see pictures like that, I can remember catches of bream in Ireland when I was much younger where the fish were all laid out, I don't know how long it would take to lay them out and get them to keep still for the picture but it would be too long for the fish imo.

I did that once [ and only once] also in Ireland. What a nightmare ! Never, ever did it again.

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes, I sometimes feel a bit guilty for taking a bag photo, but it's never more than a quick (not very good) phone pic of the fish still in a net on soft ground. I don't like to see them arranged or the process protracted. Is it just me, or did anyone else find it irritating when Mr Wilson would go "Let's put him back straightaway" .......... and follow this up with 5 minutes of ogling the fish from every angle, touching it all over, singing the praises of its beauty, turning it this way and that for the camera. Would he have enjoyed being held underwater by someone doing the same to him, I used to wonder.

robcourt82

Reaction score
To be honest I'm not one to moan about what other people do but I did try to get a similar picture with a bag of chub the other year and it was a nightmare, buggers were jumping all over the place and I ended up putting them back without a decent picture.
I've since found a lovely lake, full of bream that allows keepnets and I won't even try to get a nice picture. My conscience doesn't think its best for the fish. And besides, if I want to see a bag of fish then ill just have to catch another one! ?

steve2

Reaction score
I think we have all done this at some time I know I have. Looking through my old photos I have bagged up photos of Tench, Chub, Bream, etc. some with bags of Pike which I kept in sacks.
Would I take a photo now, no, but that’s because I rarely use a keep net since I stop match fishing and I don’t catch enough. I have nothing against keep nets but it’s one less thing to carry.

theartist

Reaction score
If the general consensus is that those neatly laid out photos take too long then why are the mags doing this more than ever?

nottskev

Reaction score
Why indeed! Style over substance? Like the two page full colour spread with 6 photos: how to hook a piece of corn.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I used to put a landing net or similar over the fish as i placed them. If they're eyes are covered they usually relax better. I am glad i took a few photos like this, back in the day, as they have given nostalgic pleasure over the years and its always nice to admire your better fish or catches from time to time (especially as they become a distant memory).

Worse, in my mind, was how back in the days club matches routinely used metal weigh baskets and fish were routinely tossed about in keepnets at the weigh-in. Its always better to move the fish towards the end of the keepnet while it is in the water, if you have to use one, but not sure how many do this.

edsurf

Reaction score
As I fish most of the time on my own, I have to take a shot on a timer. I take one shot if it does not look good so be it the fish is returned , that is more important to me, Had a decent chub end of the season but it was very lively so the end result was a poor pic but the fish was returned safely and quick.
I do not like to keep big Grayling out of the water to long either as they take a while to recover even without fannying about taking pictures.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you take plenty of time arranging and positioning the fish then set up your camera and tripod then they tend not to move when it comes to taking the actual picture.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk