10ft/11ft trotting rods

roach5

Reaction score
Anyone got any recommendations for a stick float road around 10ft/11ft for small rivers - I'd be trotting for roach and I need something small for some very small rivers - I don't suppose a telescopic rod exists that's fit for the job as I will be travelling light for short sessions before after work so want summat that can be hidden away in the boot so it's not viewable in my car during day whilst I'm at work ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know of any that can be hidden in your boot. Drennan acolyte carp wagglers are spot on, they come in 11 and 12ft but are in two sections. I've used both for trotting and they where great.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The current trend for two piece rods is likely to make a difficult task even harder. There are so many variations in action and strength amongst rods labelled as "carp waggler", "commercial", "pellet waggler", or similar, that rods suitable for trotting can be found amongst them. You are very unlikely to find 10/11' rods aimed squarely at trotting, and marketed as trotting rods.

I have the 11' Drennan Matchpro Ultralite, which is bob on, but it's two piece. I've recently purchased a Garbolino Altima 10'. Also bob on, but not quite as light in action as the Matchpro and also two piece. It's not marked as a pellet waggler rod, just a "match" rod, but the marketing gumph pitches it squarely at commie fishing. It has a faster action than any commie rod I've previously encountered, which suits me just fine for beck/small river fishing.

If it has to be a three piece, I'd suggest you look toward some of the Pure Fishing brands (Abu, Shakespeare etc). They often have budget three piece float rods in their ranges. Prior to buying the Garbolino, I used a fairly cheap 10' Abu Enticer for years. Rubbish fixtures and fittings, but the action is reasonable, despite being a cheap blank. At 10', even cheap and relatively heavy blanks feel light enough in hand.

shane99

Reaction score
The current trend for two piece rods is likely to make a difficult task even harder. There are so many variations in action and strength amongst rods labelled as "carp waggler", "commercial", "pellet waggler", or similar, that rods suitable for trotting can be found amongst them. You are very unlikely to find 10/11' rods aimed squarely at trotting, and marketed as trotting rods.

I have the 11' Drennan Matchpro Ultralite, which is bob on, but it's two piece. I've recently purchased a Garbolino Altima 10'. Also bob on, but not quite as light in action as the Matchpro and also two piece. It's not marked as a pellet waggler rod, just a "match" rod, but the marketing gumph pitches it squarely at commie fishing. It has a faster action than any commie rod I've previously encountered, which suits me just fine for beck/small river fishing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the 12' Drennan Matchpro ultralite - Im sure there are other rods that would be suitable but knowing what I know about this rod and for Roach on a very small river .. this is your tool.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Sam put me onto the 11ft Matchpro and I've never looked back. For enclosed swims on small, tree lined rivers it's a top drawer tool. Brilliant piece of kit, please try and find / test one before you buy something else. It's that good IMHO. :)

steve2

Reaction score
How small a river is small? Try looking at travel rods most say they are spinning rods but as with all fishing tackle it does far more than what it says.
I have a numer of travel rods that over the years I have used for everything from float fishing to carp fishing even sea fishing.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
There's no definitive mark with what makes a small river but if I think to myself that I could neck half a dozen Guinnesses, jump it and remain dry, it's probably a small river.......:)

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

It would be, to use my late Dad's vernacular, no wider than a four Guinness piddle.....:)

steve2

Reaction score
I know that on some parts of the streams I have fished a 6ft rod can sometimes be too long.

trotter2

Reaction score
I don't have any problem fishing a standard 13ft rod on a small stream. But I reduce rod lenght in rivers and streams which are over grown and restrict rod tip movement.
Never found a need for a rod less than 10 ft regardless.

dicky123

Reaction score
Roach?

See if you can find a ( last season 2014/15) Daiwa 11' pellet waggler rod. In my view a cracking little rod that will be ideal. It says line to 6lb but I've used mine with 4lb hook link.

It has a nice crisp action cork handle looks really nice too. If not that then a lighter 10' 11' pellet waggled style rod could work.

Could be worth a look?

macko

Reaction score
Hardy Marksman ultra lite Avon Smuggler

ATB Macko

skov

Reaction score
If it needs to fit in a car boot have a look at the Shakespeare Agility EXP Pellet Waggler.
It's 11ft and breaks down into 4 pieces!