Cameo rods and reels

robtherake

Reaction score
Dost tha mean camo, M'Lud? :p Seen loads for sale (particularly Shimano and Okuma reels) and they always sell, but I ain't ever seen any in use, strangely enough.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shimano did a special edition 5500 XTB mini big pit reel in camo. Okuma did something similar. Beyond that, I've never seen any camo reels. I have ssen the Shimanos on the bank, but not for a while. They do pop up for sale on carp forums and ebay fairly regularly. They generally sell fairly well. Whether you see them on the bank is likely to depend on where you fish.

Shimano also did a couple of "Tribal" camo rods at about the same time as the reels were available. These didn't seem to sell particularly well. You can still find them brand new, if you look hard enough. That's despite them being discontinued a few years back.

Philip

Reaction score
I do recall the Shimano rods.

I know camo rods are looked on as a bit of a joke but some of the rods I see have so much gleaming metal and shiney varnish that I would think twice about using them for margin fishing. When I am fishing very close in I am always consious of my rod tops poking out too far. I have actually seen Carp spook from a rod top.

At the very least I would think stalking rods wuld benefit from being made in camo or a bland matt colour. ...but of course that probably wont sell :rolleyes:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
it rather depends on whether the designer is trying to conceal the gear from the bailiff or the fish, doesn't it?
The last rods that I can recall that borrowed their colour scheme from the fishes'-eye view of a heron (whose life depends on getting it right) were glass ones from Geoffrey Bucknall, which paints a rather sad portrait of the modern angler's mind-set.

sam vimes

Reaction score
it rather depends on whether the designer is trying to conceal the gear from the bailiff or the fish, doesn't it?

I rather doubt that the designer has concealment from anyone in mind. The marketing department might blather on about stealth, but the real reason for these finishes is nothing more than an exercise in extracting cash from punters by taking a trend a step further.

mikench

Reaction score
First line i bought when i restarted and knew no better,was camo. I think it was made by NGT and i bought a bulk spool of something silly like 3000 yards of 8lb bs. It went on the cheap reel i bought to go with the cheap rod (£45 the lot).

I caught several F1's with it!;)

Now i know better and have become considerably poorer I plan to give them away to a young angler to start him off!

steve2

Reaction score
I do think that some anglers get carried away with all this camo lark. They are normally the same anglers that spend ages setting up their campsite, bang rod rests into the ground, cast half a pound spods all over the place or send their toy boats chugging round the lake. Than try to conceal their rods from the fish that are now down the other end of the lake.

terry m

Reaction score
I rather doubt that the designer has concealment from anyone in mind. The marketing department might blather on about stealth, but the real reason for these finishes is nothing more than an exercise in extracting cash from punters by taking a trend a step further.

In reality this is not always the case. I bought a new set of three 5500 Camo XTB's, because at the time they were cheaper than the standard XTB5500.

However on reflection, and several years into ownership,I rather like them, and yes they do hold their price well if ebay prices are anything to go by.

The XTB5500 is a super reel for those that want a big pit reel that is not too, err, big!

robtherake

Reaction score

Philip

Reaction score
Camo bog roll holder takes some beating . . . . .

but bad news if your caught short , run for a tree and then cant find the bog roll you took with you as its blended in too well with the foliage.

iain t

Reaction score
I do recall the Shimano rods.

I know camo rods are looked on as a bit of a joke but some of the rods I see have so much gleaming metal and shiny varnish that I would think twice about using them for margin fishing. When I am fishing very close in I am always conscious of my rod tops poking out too far. I have actually seen Carp spook from a rod top.

At the very least I would think stalking rods would benefit from being made in camo or a bland matt colour. ...but of course that probably won't sell :rolleyes:

As Philip said some rods are often too shiny even expensive one so it's just not the cheapo's. I've been known to give a good rod a light rub down before using it. I even used to paint the rings black when you could only get bright silver ones As for Camo rods and reels i thing it's just the manufacturers trying to climb on to the Camo clothing bandwagon.

rayner

Reaction score
Camo is just another marketing plan aimed at the carp chaps, anything camouflage is bang up their street. Of course anglers can catch carp without camo but are they real carp anglers ?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
The bait bucket with lid which I use to carry bait and to sit on when legering on small rivers
is white so I refer to it as 'My Carp Anglers Winter Camo bait bucket' and I have been asked where are they on sale . . . . .