Pole fishing questions......

Wilko

Reaction score
I've never held a pole in my entire fishing life, never really interested me in truth but now I've returned to the angling world and have been given a Watercraft box and Octoplus accessories it's sparked my interest. I'm getting a few bits together, scanning around for a suitable pole and reading various articles, one mentioned about using them on rivers.....So, why would you use one on a flowing river and what's the advantage over using a rod on one?

P.s- Wasn't sure whether to post this in 'Match fishing' but as it's intended for non-match use I thought here would be better.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
One advantage on a flowing river is that you can hold your float in one spot which isn't possible with rod, float and line. Another is being able to push your rig under far bank bushes or overhanging trees where you couldn't cast a float to the same spot.
As a beginner I'd advise you to get used to using a pole on Stillwater first.

pidgergj

Reaction score
I took 2 years out of fishing due to work, i was actually having to go to work for my wages, which is a travesty i know but what can you do? My 2 boys are at the age where i wanted to introduce them to it (11 and 5), i had never used a pole either but thought it would probably be easier for the young un so i bought one and I landed a nice 5lb ish carp using it, i really enjoyed it and i can definitely see why they are so popular. It was easy for the boy to use, no tangles and really quick to set up. Im a new fan. I have no idea why i posted this here :D

robcourt82

Reaction score
The advantages are the same on still or flowing water. Control, accuracy and speed. The pole has its limitations on a river but when its right, its unbeatable.