Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Am I missing something?

Hey guys long time no see

Wanting some opinions when feeder fishing I always clip up and fish to a mark and I'm pretty accurate even on alarms I mark the line and reclip before casting but my mate doesn't clip up very often and just casts out in the general same area we both have our good days but sometimes clipping up seems to go against me do you think the fish sometimes spook off a feeder casting in the same spot?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nicky; 22-05-2017 at 17:49.

Default Re: Am I missing something?

I never clip up and often wonder if that is one of my greatest failings! My wife would disagree of course and knows nothing about fishing

My excuse is that most of my waters require a short cast and I prefer a sideways cast in the general vicinity

I find it difficult not to clip up as it goes against everything I understand about feeder fishing but it has made me wonder lately

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

In with this I include spodding I can't see any point in spodding in one area and casting close by I want to know I'm on the money

I will not give up the day job!

Haha

Blog Entries

By using very accurate casting with a feeder you are concentrating your feed in a small area which is usually recommended, it works most times but sometimes a more spread out approach can work better. I believe that the reason for it is that when feed is concentrated there may be lots of fish in a small area and a hooked fish will spook those fish within that area whereas if feed is more spread out the fish are also and not so prone to being spooked.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Could be some logic in that

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Maybe I'm going to have to be a bit more open minded

You don't specify what you're fishing for Nicky? Or indeed the type of venue.
    Sometimes too much loosefeed in the same area can be a mistake...
    Quite often fish will back off and a cast beyond or short of your main baited area will find fish lurking...

Hmm I'm going to experiment next weekend I'll stick to a clipped up approach but if bites are not consistent I'll try varying the cast I remember doing this with carp on a fairly large open water everytime bites dried up I would add a couple more yards to the cast and this would produce a fish I sometimes forget things that I have learnt

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

It's tench at the moment peter but I have seen it with carp and barbel

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

This particular venue is pretty clear water the margins are shallow but shelves off sharply some clear areas with gravel and silt with patches of thick weed maybe Canadian

I feel sure I have been looking for a fish like that but it is so long since I caught one I have forgotten what they look like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast