Noise - Whats wrong with some people

Simon Vicos

Reaction score
Last night I settled down for a quiet evening on one of my club lakes.

Within an hour 4 blokes arrived 40 yards away (one fishing) and preceeded to talk to each other at a decibel level quite out of keeping with anything where other people are within a million miles. Every other word was F*** this and F***** that and I was so offputting I considered packing up. Once the balliff came round they dispersed and it went quiet

Then the two blokes two swims apart on the far bank decided to do the same and I had another two hours of high volume swearing and general annoyance

I'm very tolerant and experience has taught me that telling 4 blokes to shut up doesn't usually end well.

If its not bite alarms at ridiculous screaming levels its just general lack of consideration for anyone else that grinds my gears. Is it just me or do we just accept it now ?

As a footnote it was nice to see the balliff doing rig checks on people as they have had a lot of Carpers using barbed. He even checked my float rig to see if I had anything bigger than a 14 that should have been barbless. Good Ballifing I think. My first check in 25 years

sam vimes

Reaction score
With such tales of woe being so commonplace, I feel decidedly lucky. However, I suspect that it's not entirely down to luck. I tend to avoid times and places where such behaviour is likely to be encountered. The downside is that the quality of my fishing may well suffer as a consequence of avoiding popular venues. Still, better to catch a handful of bits and enjoy myself than endure idiots for the chance of better fish.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No it's not just you, myself and many others I'm sure feel no different. Quite a co incidence really, where I fished yesterday I got chatting to a chap on the next peg, similar age to me I guess and an old school Londoner now living in Rye.

We spoke of London, fishing and football, he's a season ticket holder at West Ham and since moving to the new stadium has had to put up with two foul mouthed louts seating a few rows in front, every other word the c word, despite numerous complaints from those seating around them they carried on. It was only when a number of complaints were sent to the club that some action was taken, moved to another area of the stadium with a final warning before being life banned.

You don't want to hear that sort of behaviour at a football match and even less so when fishing, sadly it's part of the culture that has developed in our society.

I'm a coward when it comes to confrontation, I don't want a bloody nose (or worse) and the possibility of being nicked for gbh, you can do nothing more than report them to the club, preferably with the backing of a few other members as well.

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

With such tales of woe being so commonplace, I feel decidedly lucky. However, I suspect that it's not entirely down to luck. I tend to avoid times and places where such behaviour is likely to be encountered. The downside is that the quality of my fishing may well suffer as a consequence of avoiding popular venues. Still, better to catch a handful of bits and enjoy myself than endure idiots for the chance of better fish.

Exactly how I feel. I feel so blessed to have received membership to fish a private estate lake. The fish aren't big, tench to 5lb and carp mainly in the doubles, but it is a haven of peace and beauty and when on the rare occasion I see a fellow member fishing, they are normally retired chaps like myself.

I went to a day ticket venue that holds double figure tench which I was keen to have a go at, the venue is also recognised as a big carp water, I know I'm opening an old can of worms but I can only speak as I find, the presence of beer drinking and dope smoking with foul language thrown in for good measure ain't for me.

Never got a bloomin tench either.:mad:

Richox12

Reaction score
better to catch a handful of bits and enjoy myself than endure idiots for the chance of better fish.

Tend to agree. If I don't enjoy it I don't go.

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Problem is I suspect it's not just confined to the lake you were fishing but it's people in general everywhere. No consideration. No manners.

Or, maybe, I'm just old

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Problem is I suspect it's not just confined to the lake you were fishing but it's people in general everywhere. No consideration. No manners.

Or, maybe, I'm just old

Its everywhere.....and not just bankside but these loud, foul mouthed yobbos seem to be the norm where I fish. I'm trying a couple of different [club] waters this year and I hope that makes a difference.

Even when every other word isn't f*****k I do not understand why some people feel the need to yell at their mates from 6 foot away all bloody day long. When they're not yelling at someone down the bloody phone that is. :eek:mg:

Buqqer off and leave us in peace will you ? :mad:

trotter2

Reaction score
I am much the same as others on here.
Why put up with it?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have experienced this type of loutish behaviour on club stretches, lakes and some commercial venues, and it ruins things for everyone.

On one fairly local commercial venue I have been grateful to see the manager booting these loudmouths off of the lake following complaints. Maybe more people nee to complain?

The only place that seems to be devoid of these morons is the little syndicate water that I have been a member of for about 15 years now.

trotter2

Reaction score
If its on club water I would report it. In my club we take letters of complaints very seriously,and will deal with the matter accordingly.
I suggest you do the same with foul mouth yobs.

bezzer

Reaction score
I fished Dog Lane in Warwickshire recently and there were 3 old fellas on the bank opposite who were extremely noisy and foul mouthed too. Like the OP said, every other word was an F word. Really got on my goat as it went on all morning.

However, my pet hate when it comes to noise, is halfwits hammering banksticks in with a mallet!

Apologies if anyone on here does this :j

dicky123

Reaction score
I had a chap on the next lake with a radio. He was listening to the horse racing from 11am until early evening. I'd guess he was at least 100 yards away so how loud the radio was is anyones guess?

We all go fish for different things, and sound does travel over water. I go for peace and quite, fortunately most of the time I get it too.

peterjg

Reaction score
I am very lucky in that I have found some quiet lakes and a few very quiet stretches of the Kennet. Most people seem to be inconsiderate cretins? - Or is that just me being an unsociable old git?!

My hearing is deteriorating so if another angler is nearby I apologise in advance if my buzzers are too loud. I always turn them off when setting the bobbins. They rarely go off in anger anyway - well that's not quite true, I do have my moments .....

Last edited:

Reaction score
I fished Dog Lane in Warwickshire recently and there were 3 old fellas on the bank opposite who were extremely noisy and foul mouthed too. Like the OP said, every other word was an F word. Really got on my goat as it went on all morning.

However, my pet hate when it comes to noise, is halfwits hammering banksticks in with a mallet!

Apologies if anyone on here does this :j

Funny enough I carry a rubber mallet,particularly for starting holes for a brolly,that said it is years and years since I used it.:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My hearing is deteriorating so if another angler is nearby I apologise in advance if my buzzers are too loud. I always turn them off when setting the bobbins. They rarely go off in anger anyway - well that's not quite true, I do have my moments .....

I wish more people behaved as reasonably. Its not the volume per se that annoys me but these goons that dont seem capable of leaving the bait in the water longer than 5 minutes before its recast.

Sit down [ shut the f***k up] and let the fish find it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish more people behaved as reasonably. Its not the volume per se that annoys me but these goons that dont seem capable of leaving the bait in the water longer than 5 minutes before its recast.

Sit down [ shut the f***k up] and let the fish find it.

This is simply synonymous with the "instant success" angler who has bought all the kit and expects to catch wihin a few minutes.

Lack of knowledge then leads them to the conclusion they are not "in the right spot" and so cast, and recast and recast ad nauseum.

Philip

Reaction score
Picky rules cant do this cant do that , other anglers left right and center, noise, obscenities ….sounds like a nightmare.

I couldn’t hack it. I would rather fish somewhere else with less fish if need be & do as I want in peace.

lambert1

Reaction score
I am also very fortunate as I have joined a club that has a fairly elderly membership who are very considerate. The rivers are beautiful and the only real noise is from the sheep that graze in the surrounding fields. Dog walkers are a minor annoyance, when pooch is not on the lead and tries to nick your bait, but apart from that it is very peaceful to fish there. To catch the specimen fish that are there requires patience and guile and I suspect that some would dismiss it as no good and containing no fish, which suits me and the other members down to the ground;)

robtherake

Reaction score
The extra noise and absence of etiquette is the thing I've noticed most since I started up again. Not everywhere, mind you, but at enough venues to indicate that it's a trend. TBH, though, isn't it just a reflection on the erosion of common courtesy throughout society in general?

B

binka

TBH, though, isn't it just a reflection on the erosion of common courtesy throughout society in general?

I think you're bang on the money there Rob.

At one time you were met with an apologetic wave and acknowledgement from a driver if they had done something wrong, nowadays it's the finger and all out retaliation which loses completely the fact that the newly turned aggressor had made the error in the first place.

I think in some ways...

We have become America :eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
My current favourite water is a day ticket venue albeit it is on my card. The owner is a very nice chap but some of the morons who come are beyond belief!

I can swear as well as anybody but some of the people who come are beyond the pail! I watched a father and son today who made me look like Steve Ringer and their utter incompetence was mind boggling! I suspect they were both one short of a six pack.

Another clown cast all over the place and his 5 kilo pva bags hit the water like a Barnes Wallis bomb. At one point I shouted "four" as a cast crossed my lines and landed within 10 yards of me. I asked him if he would like my peg. He responded but in a language I had difficulty in comprehending . I plan to have a word with the owner:rolleyes: