summer chub fishing

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks Dave . Upstream in Sutton benenger only had roach and hard going .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
Good to see I am not the only one enjoys lure fishing for chub. Chub of all sizes take all shapes and sizes of lures. Not had any as big as my bait caught chub but that not what it is all about.
On one section of river I fish not known for big chub I had them from a couple of ounces to a pound in weight on small mepps spinners and on another river to nearly 5lb on plugs and jelly worms. I always use a short wire trace just in case pike come long.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Does anyone use prawns for chub? I don't know much about them but often read of prawns being used for perch and wondered if anyone used them for chub. Also does anyone use artificial prawns for Chub or Perch?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have been told chub eat anything apparently so can't see why not but others will be able to say for sure

B

binka

I've used prawns quite a bit in the past for chub, chopping a few really fine to go through a feeder on the river with a single, whole prawn hookbait.

I just bought the frozen, cooked prawns that you find in any supermarket (I've been told this is a no as they're treated with a glaze prior to freezing which the fish don't like but I've never seen any evidence of it).

My previous best pb perch fell to it when I was chub fishing many years ago but I can't seem to bag a big perch by design on the prawn despite reading of many that do :confused:

B

binka

Do you just leave the prawns like a dead bait Binka or do you work them sink and draw like a lure?

I just leave them, static... I think there could be some mileage in twitching it back slowly on a retrieve though, I might give that a try at some point.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I just leave them, static... I think there could be some mileage in twitching it back slowly on a retrieve though, I might give that a try at some point.
When sea fishing, float fished live prawns are deadly, I think its the distress signal they send out when on the hook as much as anything and fish home in it. However, representing that with a an artificial prawn is not possible. I did make some artificial prawns out of fishing line and beads once , quite simple and a bit naff probably to be fair, just experimenting at the time.
However, I was wondering if a big perch or chub might fall for one but they would have to be worked, just me thinking aloud really while I was reading this thread, that's why I asked. If I can find them I will post a picture up of them.
You can buy professional artificial prawns as well, I think Storm baits do a good one if still available but I have not checked for some time. need to worked like a lure or just held in a current on a long trace so they flutter about a bit, works in the sea, seen some big bass come out on these but would something similar work in a river current. I don't know.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Matt, I wouldn't discount trotting maggots at this time of year. You might find that smaller fish are a bit of a plague but I've found that sometimes when you fish like that, the size of the fish will creep up, providing that you keep feeding accurately and regularly. No need to pile it in either, a pinch of hemp and the same of maggot every run through... if nothing happens in 5 or 10 trots then move on. Once you find a spot where you can get a bit from something - anything - it's surprising how the swim can build. Also, if you're fishing a swim where you catch smaller stuff regularly and then they suddenly stop, it's worth persevering for a few more trots, as it might be bigger fish - say chub or perch - which have moved the small stuff out.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers Jim , have to learn how to trot . My dad said he will show me later in the year sometime . Even though he not done it for 20 years !

steve2

Reaction score
I have bought some artificial prawns to try this year, 2-4 inches they look good so should work with chub and perch.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have done a bit of research on interweb and found out bristol avon at lacock suggested by another member seems better chub fishing than upstream .... dont know why . There are quite a few articles and write ups on different blogs and sites. If you google fishing bristol avon lacock fishing there loads and the fishing seems quite good .

So this means il give its a good go .

is there any better time in the summer when to go after rain etc the stretch is a 40 min drive from my house .

any other good tips on summer location ? Under cover trees etc and in the slacker water as per normal i take it .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have done a bit of research on interweb and found out bristol avon at lacock suggested by another member seems better chub fishing than upstream .... dont know why . There are quite a few articles and write ups on different blogs and sites. If you google fishing bristol avon lacock fishing there loads and the fishing seems quite good .

So this means il give its a good go .

is there any better time in the summer when to go after rain etc the stretch is a 40 min drive from my house .

any other good tips on summer location ? Under cover trees etc and in the slacker water as per normal i take it .

They feed better in very colored water I have found but also they seem to prefer unusually for fish to like the higher barometer ranges- 1020-1029m best and 2nd best over 1030m; not many fish feed as well in this.. So this does suggest after a period of rain/ low pressures when the barometer rises again but still plenty of colour in the water. Also not so good on actual rainy days but overcast or sun/cloud combinations best and a second quarter moon phase for some reason. Bright sun and clear water are more difficult. However, chub will feed in almost any conditions but better days might come in the described above.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Need go invest in a barometer then but genrally overcast days but let's face it don't get too many in the summer .

Only thing is the river is a drive and wouldn't know if it's got some colour on it or not

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Need go invest in a barometer then but genrally overcast days but let's face it don't get too many in the summer .

Only thing is the river is a drive and wouldn't know if it's got some colour on it or not

Its not a rule thing with chub or any fish, they are pretty much obliging fish whatever the conditions. Its just as with all fish there are better chance days than others in my opinion. I think in your situation I would just keep an eye on the weather and if you know there's been some rain and likely some good color in the river and it is a bit of an over cast day might be worth giving it a go but i wouldn't worry about it too much. I think i must have caught chub in just about every weather and water but more in some than others..

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers mark . I have been the day after rain and notice how much the river was pushing through also so a few days best I would imagine

associatedmatt

Reaction score
just had a thought , feeders is it better to use free running feeder rather than a bolt feeder ?

Reaction score
In my opinion,a running feeder,but with one or two rubber stops on the line above the feeder,thus giving the opportunity to fish it tight to the feeder,or slide it up a bit to get the desired self hooking,but being entirely 'safe'.

floatfish

Reaction score
Over the years Chub fishing, been finding streamer weed etc, Trees overhanging the River. Using thumb sized lumps of Bread to a 8 or 10 hook
direct to 6 lb line works well. Chub of all sizes are greedy and as said by others will feed at most times.
Also when Rivers are low, Chub ,Dace Grayling etc all can be caught with
a bushy dry fly presented as close to bushes and overhanging trees as you dare. Loss of fly is an accepted problem and part of the method.How many lost flys depends on your casting skill. But have had very good results and some large fish with this method. Plus it's an attention consuming way you never
know when a big mouth will open round your fly,and it is then sucked down in a little whirlpool.! :)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
great , ive seen zig flys in tackle shop guess those would be suitable ??

Il be taking 2 rods a tip rod and a avon rod then got all bases covered i imagine

cheers

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Its not a rule thing with chub or any fish, they are pretty much obliging fish whatever the conditions. Its just as with all fish there are better chance days than others in my opinion. I think in your situation I would just keep an eye on the weather and if you know there's been some rain and likely some good color in the river and it is a bit of an over cast day might be worth giving it a go but i wouldn't worry about it too much. I think i must have caught chub in just about every weather and water but more in some than others..

Cheers Mark , when you fished the avon at lacock how far downstream did you go ?

Parking in Lacock itself is only in the public car park and the gates are locked at night and open late in mornings .

I have noticed there is queensfield farm just south of Lacock and fish near bank all the way upto the road bridge , plenty of chub in that lower section ?