summer chub fishing

no-one in particular

Reaction score
great , ive seen zig flys in tackle shop guess those would be suitable ??

Il be taking 2 rods a tip rod and a avon rod then got all bases covered i imagine

cheers

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Cheers Mark , when you fished the avon at lacock how far downstream did you go ?

Parking in Lacock itself is only in the public car park and the gates are locked at night and open late in mornings .

I have noticed there is queensfield farm just south of Lacock and fish near bank all the way upto the road bridge , plenty of chub in that lower section ?

Not sure if you meant this for me Matt, I cannot remember where I fished on the Avon; it was only a couple of times and it was a long time ago. Missed quite a few opportunities to fish it though, relatives around Bristol and Bath area but it was always funerals and weddings with the Avon nearby as often as not. Tried to sneak a rod and sidle off for a bit of fishing but with a large family/mafia watching, not possible, they just never understood the priorities of life and death; mugwumps..

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm sure it was you that said you fished the BA last summer on this thread ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I'm sure it was you that said you fished the BA last summer on this thread ??

Not me Matt, I did mention on page two "I have only fished the Bristol Avon a couple of times so cannot help you much but my feeling is, give it a go....." but, I think that was it.

Just checked, it was Davebhoy.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ah brilliant il send him a message . Cheers

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Go fishing for your bait 1st then knock it on head and use it after ;)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Had a visit down river stretch and it's very snaggy and weedy .

I'm guessing better not with a feeder . If got for running lead , what would be a better tactic ? Bread and mashed bread thrown into swim ? Or any point making up small balls of groundbait and pellet mix and throw into swims ?

Cheers

greenie62

Reaction score
Had a visit down river stretch and it's very snaggy and weedy .

I'm guessing better not with a feeder ......

The old tactic of float-fished lip-hooked minnow might be worth a go!

Make a minnow trap from an old (glass) milk-bottle, baited with some bread, on a bit of string for your minnows - although Korda might do a modern equivalent at c.£20!:eek:

steve2

Reaction score
Minnow traps are easy to make from a plastic bottle. There are how to do videos on you tube.

davebhoy

Reaction score
Ah brilliant il send him a message . Cheers

Hi Matt, sorry I just saw this and just saw your message. I have replied although I'm not sure it actually sent.

I only fished a few times last summer and in the winter, here's a map for where you can fish downstream of the bridge.

http://amalgamatedfisheriesltd.co.uk/Venues/Maps/images/Maps/mead.jpg

Plenty of small chub and one about 4lb on a very cold winter day. Maggot and caster on the stick or the maggot feeder

Mind out for the cows in one of the fields on the right hand bank they are very curious.

---------- Post added at 03:38 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

Regards chub fishing in the summer, where I fished on Friday the Chub are so hungry this time of year they are a bit of a nuisance to get past to the barbel. I'll probably catch as many or more in the warm months than the cold ones, on Friday I had ten or twelve all around three or four pounds