Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: summer chub fishing

I have bought some artificial prawns to try this year, 2-4 inches they look good so should work with chub and perch.

I have done a bit of research on interweb and found out bristol avon at lacock suggested by another member seems better chub fishing than upstream .... dont know why . There are quite a few articles and write ups on different blogs and sites. If you google fishing bristol avon lacock fishing there loads and the fishing seems quite good .

So this means il give its a good go .

is there any better time in the summer when to go after rain etc the stretch is a 40 min drive from my house .

any other good tips on summer location ? Under cover trees etc and in the slacker water as per normal i take it .

Quote Originally Posted by associatedmatt View Post
    I have done a bit of research on interweb and found out bristol avon at lacock suggested by another member seems better chub fishing than upstream .... dont know why . There are quite a few articles and write ups on different blogs and sites. If you google fishing bristol avon lacock fishing there loads and the fishing seems quite good .

So this means il give its a good go .

is there any better time in the summer when to go after rain etc the stretch is a 40 min drive from my house .

any other good tips on summer location ? Under cover trees etc and in the slacker water as per normal i take it .
    They feed better in very colored water I have found but also they seem to prefer unusually for fish to like the higher barometer ranges- 1020-1029m best and 2nd best over 1030m; not many fish feed as well in this.. So this does suggest after a period of rain/ low pressures when the barometer rises again but still plenty of colour in the water. Also not so good on actual rainy days but overcast or sun/cloud combinations best and a second quarter moon phase for some reason. Bright sun and clear water are more difficult. However, chub will feed in almost any conditions but better days might come in the described above.

Need go invest in a barometer then but genrally overcast days but let's face it don't get too many in the summer .

Only thing is the river is a drive and wouldn't know if it's got some colour on it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by associatedmatt View Post
    Need go invest in a barometer then but genrally overcast days but let's face it don't get too many in the summer .

Only thing is the river is a drive and wouldn't know if it's got some colour on it or not

Its not a rule thing with chub or any fish, they are pretty much obliging fish whatever the conditions. Its just as with all fish there are better chance days than others in my opinion. I think in your situation I would just keep an eye on the weather and if you know there's been some rain and likely some good color in the river and it is a bit of an over cast day might be worth giving it a go but i wouldn't worry about it too much. I think i must have caught chub in just about every weather and water but more in some than others..
    Last edited by markg; 10-06-2017 at 08:36.

Cheers mark . I have been the day after rain and notice how much the river was pushing through also so a few days best I would imagine

just had a thought , feeders is it better to use free running feeder rather than a bolt feeder ?

Blog Entries

In my opinion,a running feeder,but with one or two rubber stops on the line above the feeder,thus giving the opportunity to fish it tight to the feeder,or slide it up a bit to get the desired self hooking,but being entirely 'safe'.

Over the years Chub fishing, been finding streamer weed etc, Trees overhanging the River. Using thumb sized lumps of Bread to a 8 or 10 hook
    direct to 6 lb line works well. Chub of all sizes are greedy and as said by others will feed at most times.
    Also when Rivers are low, Chub ,Dace Grayling etc all can be caught with
    a bushy dry fly presented as close to bushes and overhanging trees as you dare. Loss of fly is an accepted problem and part of the method.How many lost flys depends on your casting skill. But have had very good results and some large fish with this method. Plus it's an attention consuming way you never
    know when a big mouth will open round your fly,and it is then sucked down in a little whirlpool.!

great , ive seen zig flys in tackle shop guess those would be suitable ??

Il be taking 2 rods a tip rod and a avon rod then got all bases covered i imagine

cheers

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Its not a rule thing with chub or any fish, they are pretty much obliging fish whatever the conditions. Its just as with all fish there are better chance days than others in my opinion. I think in your situation I would just keep an eye on the weather and if you know there's been some rain and likely some good color in the river and it is a bit of an over cast day might be worth giving it a go but i wouldn't worry about it too much. I think i must have caught chub in just about every weather and water but more in some than others..

Cheers Mark , when you fished the avon at lacock how far downstream did you go ?

Parking in Lacock itself is only in the public car park and the gates are locked at night and open late in mornings .

I have noticed there is queensfield farm just south of Lacock and fish near bank all the way upto the road bridge , plenty of chub in that lower section ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast