summer chub fishing

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Hello all as the open season is fast coming onto us , just thinking about gearing myself up for summer chub fishing , il mainly be going on bristol avon . People have told me not to bother and wait until october as during the summer its not too good .

Is this the case ?

If not any tips for summer would be great thanks .

Regarding hooklinks from flouro what make does people recommend ?

thanks

associatedmatt

Reaction score
cheers Steve .

i use supplex in mono but not tried flouro yet .

If not the avon i got a small strech on a club ticket of the thames but its the boat traffic that puts me off .

chrissh

Reaction score
Local knowledge is the best you can get have a chat in your tackle shops or take a walk along the river and chat to others fishing .but if People have told you not to bother and wait until later in the year that’s probably the best info

associatedmatt

Reaction score
local tackle shops know nothing about the river and last year in all the trips down the river i only saw 1 person ( same river but belonged to another club ) and . I was told that the avon has lost most of the decent fish in the area i got the ticket for due to a few years ago there was a otter re settlement program and they introduced many colonies of otters in the area . Thats crazy :eek:mg:

only 2 close rivers is Avon and River Thames which controlled by more clubs no day tickets

associatedmatt

Reaction score
oh dear .... kiss of death i reckon ! need to get into trotting this year .

Thames it may be and been told because of the crays there some clonkers in there !

Any better bait for summer chub ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
its above chippenham section i got a ticket for .

unless i got have a few days on the wye which just over a hour drive

Reaction score
I've found due to boat traffic decent chub virtually disappear from the face of the earth until September-October,unless your on the upper river where waggler and hemp and tare against cover can work.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
its above chippenham section i got a ticket for .

unless i got have a few days on the wye which just over a hour drive

I have only fished the Bristol Avon a couple of times so cannot help you much but my feeling is, give it a go. There are no absolute rules in fishing, advice or not. Chub feed all year round and there may be a general better time/season for them but if the conditions come right for them to be feeding on any given day; who's to say you wont catch..This might help with sorting out good days when conditions are good for chub once the season starts https://fishingweathergb.yolasite.com/
A square inch of cheddar cheese is always a good bait for chub and barbel like it as well . I would be tempted to try roving tactics with it myself, you will get to explore the stretch and if there's chub in there it will give you a good chance of winkling out one or two. Cast under trees, along side bushes, sunken logs etc or a few likely looking glides and move along after 15 minutes or so.
I liked to free-line a lump of cheese, it has weight for casting well with a good loaded spool but a float just as good or a link leger maybe. Undercuts or little side eddies often worth a try, chub like to sit in these out of the flow sometimes.. Alternatively try a big lump of bread flake, chub always a goer for it and you might just pick up a big roach as a bonus. Chuck in a couple of small handfuls of mashed up bread to awaken interest and give it 15 mins or so and keep trying different swims. Nice way to fish on a summer day, you do not have to lug around tons of gear, keep it light.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I think I'd still try as only one thing is for certain, you won't catch if you don't.

There's a similar general belief with the huge roach on the River Frome, must be September, best at night, etc but my first three came on a scorching June afternoon, about ten days into the season on a "wrong" tide.

It doesn't always pan out as the experts would have you believe. I would, however, reiterate my earlier point. No trying, no catching.

Best of luck :)

steve2

Reaction score
Most of my summer chub fishing revolves around small stream lure fishing. Give it a go and you might be surprised what you catch. Just a rod, a reel, a net and few lures and you can have good day.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
There a small river in swindon called the Ray only 10 ft - 20ft across been told there some in there , never tried lure fishing before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:28 ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 ----------

I got a few options to try as I asked is there s better bait in summer or do I just go with bread or maggots as normally would ?

B

binka

Most of my summer chub fishing revolves around small stream lure fishing. Give it a go and you might be surprised what you catch. Just a rod, a reel, a net and few lures and you can have good day.

Oddly enough that's exactly the type of lure fishing that I can honestly say I really enjoy doing, most other forms I tend to steer clear of for the vast majority of time.

Great when you can see the chub spot and turn on a lure from a few feet away before stalking in and grabbing it, they really are competent predators.

I always tried to mimic grubs with my type of lure and they often sort the better fish out too...

barbelboi

Reaction score
I love summer chub fishing on small rivers and streams whether it's freelining lobs/slugs/snails/bread, trotting maggot/caster or using my favourite chub lure.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ah yes free lining worms / bread may be a great idea . Guess have to be done in a slow flow ?

davebhoy

Reaction score
Plenty of chub in the amalgamated stretches of the BA, I'm no great angler but I caught plenty when I fished there last summer. Chub aren't fussy, most baits will catch them

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Which stretch of the ba on amalgamated ticket ? Christian malford or lower down at laycock ?

davebhoy

Reaction score
Laycock fields and downstream of the bridge. Not of any size but plenty of them