Real reason for Brexit

Philip

Reaction score
…we didn’t want those Euro burocrats upping our targets ..

1kilo Roach = 2lb 3oz
10kg Pike = 22lb
5kg Barbel / Bream / Tencg = 11lb
500g Dace = 1lb 1oz

Finally I understand why we voted out !

thecrow

Reaction score
It annoys me that this daft country runs 2 systems side by side, cars do MPG but fuel is sold in litres?

To confuse things even more for brits fishing in the Netherlands a Dutch pound is 1.1 pounds compared to an English of an English pound :)

Last edited:
B

binka

I will always be pounds and ounces, the higher figures sound bigger! :D

mikench

Reaction score
I have no problem with kilos, metres etc, litres and euros but I just cannot compute miles per litre ! It means nothing until I convert back, if I can be bothered at all these days, to mpg! I am a hopeless case:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having lived and worked in Europe and Scandinavia for many years I find the metric system very simple to understand and use . . . . .

That said, I still tend to refer to fish in Imperial units; pounds and ounces.

robertroach

Reaction score
It would be better to become completely metric IMO.

We would soon get used to it and wonder at the bad old days when we had to remember 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone etc. Just like we do now when we think of farthings, halfpennies, sixpences, shillings, pounds and guineas.

Maybe we will come to our senses and rejoin. Discuss.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It would be better to become completely metric IMO.

We would soon get used to it and wonder at the bad old days when we had to remember 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone etc. Just like we do now when we think of farthings, halfpennies, sixpences, shillings, pounds and guineas.

Maybe we will come to our senses and rejoin. Discuss.
I don't think the Mods would be too pleased with that mate, no politics on here. Which is a good thing, some very good forums have been ruined lately and some good friends lost.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
At least shilling, tanner, florin, a copper, etc had a bit of character to it, decimal coinage all became a bit bland; I loved the word groats, had a certain ring to it. And did having to think of dividing/adding 12's, 6's, 240's etc all day help our mathematical abilities!
However, I don't mind most of it but I still have to think how cold or warm it is in Celsius, prefer Fahrenheit but it doesn't matter to the kids growing up and its them that matter, but a 3lb roach will live on forever hopefully.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I just cannot see anyone asking for 568.261 ml of reds at a tackle shop :eek:

Plus from what I have seen they charge the same price for 500ml of maggots as they do for a uk pint and I end up with less maggots :mad:

Those crafty Eurocrats they had it all planned out ! ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I just cannot see anyone asking for 568.261 ml of reds at a tackle shop :eek:

Funnily enough when I was in Norway I used to import maggots and casters every two weeks for onward sale to the match anglers who couldn't otherwise obtain them.

Despite everything there being Metric everyone who I sold to asked for "A pint of maggots" . . . . .

As Arthur Daly would have said . . . it was a nice little earner . . . . in those days you could only get maggots from the sports shop in little boxes of about 200 maggots mostly for use in ice fishing . . . . not exactly the quantities you needed for a 5 hours match with ravenous Chub, Vederbuk, Bream and Roach . . . .

I had to obtain an import licence from the government there and that took ages, but it worked out very well in the end . . . profitable too ;)

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Which is a good thing, some very good forums have been ruined lately and some good friends lost.

Ain't that the truth Ray . . . . . and pretty sad when you think about the raison d'etre for some of them . . . .

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
Although i lived in France for over 6 years, the only way i could make sense what i was buying was to convert it back to pounds, shilling and pence. Same with litres to gallons. Litres make diesel sound cheap till you convert it to gallons. Perhaps being at the age where metric was just coming in when i was at school.
As for Maggots i would feel a right prat asking for 0.568261 of a litre( 1 pint) for Maggots

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Although i lived in France for over 6 years, the only way i could make sense what i was buying was to convert it back to pounds, shilling and pence.

Do you speak French Iain?

I was in Paris for nearly 7 years and found after about 18 months learning French I was not converting back to Imperial at all.

After about 2 years I wasn't translating back into English either and from then onward it seemed just natural to think in French and in metric units.

An English friend of mine in Oslo used to say that you are not fluent in a new language until you have dreamed in it . . . .

bracket

Reaction score
No political issues for me, just queries on custom and common sense. I well understand the advantage of a universal standard of weights and measures and to that end the metrical system is as good as any. At the time of the UK's conversion it was already widely use throughout the World. What I could never understand is why we had to change the units of currency from a centuries old traditional system. One that was ingrained in to you as a child, before even you went to school, thoroughly understood and typically British. The cost involved in the conversions was astronomical and unnecessary. Monitory values are only comparable between countries when an exchange rate is factored in and that is constantly varying. I am sure the Gnomes of Zurich, accustomed to dealing in £billions, weren't too interested in how many farthings there were in a florin, so why change a tried and tested, entirely British bit of heritage to a system for people who could only count on their fingers. If financial parity was the requirement a sure fire way to achieve that would have been for gold and silver to be the only tender and everyone carry a set of hand held scales to weigh coins against each other. Which is what was the norm in ancient Rome 2000 plus years ago. Pete

iain t

Reaction score
Do you speak French Iain?

I was in Paris for nearly 7 years and found after about 18 months learning French I was not converting back to Imperial at all.

After about 2 years I wasn't translating back into English either and from then onward it seemed just natural to think in French and in metric units.

An English friend of mine in Oslo used to say that you are not fluent in a new language until you have dreamed in it . . . .

Had to learn French very quickly as the wife and in-laws are French. I got on well straight away with my fathering law as we had two things in common. We both love fishing and old buildings. Their home was built in the 1760s with walls 3 foot deep.